how to store dirty cloth napkins/bibs/towels? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-28-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been trying to use cloth napkins, placemats, dish towels, washrags and "eco-tawashi" scrubbers in my kitchen. I also have baby bibs getting food on them. My problem is how to store all these during the day so that they don't smell, attract fruit flies, or otherwise cause unpleasantness in the kitchen area while awaiting the wash. Anyone have any ideas? I don't have too much room, perhaps just one cabinet under the sink. I cloth diaper and use a dry pail for those, but these kitchen items are another story altogether. . .  Please help!

#2 of 6 Old 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM

We use strictly cloth napkins/washclothes/handtowels/placemats.  I have a small rubbermaid container in our laundry room (close to the kitchen) that I just throw them in when I'm done with them.  I have never noticed it to attract flies or smell or anything along those lines.  Since it is fairly small, I just wait until it is full and then I wash them.  I haven't had a problem with mold or mildew and they all smell nice and clean when I finish washing and drying them.  When I had a home daycare, I threw the bibs in there also.  Good luck!!

Here's my tub http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ShyGecko/cf887981.jpg

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#3 of 6 Old 06-28-2011, 11:48 PM

I've never had our towels, place mats, dish rags, or napkins attract flies or smelling, etc.

The dish rag hangs on the sink and when it gets dirty, we wash it or put it in the laundry.

The dish towels hang on the extractor fan hood to dry out between uses and then get put in the laundry basket (usually daily).

Napkins & placements, if they are clean get get put back in their respective drawers. If they are dirty, into the laundry basket. If anything is really dirty (lots of grease) I'll rinse it out w/ hot water before putting it in the laundry basket.

I think (it was so many years ago) that I would rinse off really food covered baby bibs before putting them in the laundry basket.

We do  at least one load (5-7 kg) of laundry almost every day.

#4 of 6 Old 06-29-2011, 06:46 PM

we have a 'towel hamper' in the laundry room for towels, rags, bibs, napkins, etc.  if something is really wet, i drape it over the side of the hamper until it's dry to avoid mildew, which we do have problems with (florida!).  bath towels are hung up in the bathroom to dry and i go around and collect the dirty ones on wash day.

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#5 of 6 Old 06-30-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippyMama View Post

we have a 'towel hamper' in the laundry room for towels, rags, bibs, napkins, etc.  if something is really wet, i drape it over the side of the hamper until it's dry to avoid mildew, which we do have problems with (florida!).  bath towels are hung up in the bathroom to dry and i go around and collect the dirty ones on wash day.

I have a towel hamper also. I don't hang the wet ones on the side though. I should probably start because I've been getting some mildew on a few of my washcloths.

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#6 of 6 Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 PM

I just put it all in the dry diaper pail.

chicken3.gif     2008.2011.2014      homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page