Homeschooling Organization (Also kids art supplies, books, educational supplies) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-07-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We are fairly new homeschoolers. Going into our 1st FULL year and we just moved. I have all of our homeschooling supplies in boxes against the wall and I'd love to get some inspiration of how to organize it.

Our prior apartment had a closet in the living room with shelves and it was perfect for all the supplies. Our new place not so much.

This is how ours use to look.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#2 of 7 Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I homeschooled my 2 for 3years, and that is exactly what I did!  I 'comandeered' the linen cupboard and it made a fabulous homeschooling closet :D  And even better, when you're done with the official work of the day... you can literally close the door on it thumb.gif   I'm going to be home 'preschooling' my 5yo for the remainder of this school year (ends mid december here) so I'm going to yet again, take over the hall closet (or at least part of it) for supplies... it's substantially bigger than the one I used to have so I will have fun organizing :D

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#3 of 7 Old 07-08-2011, 07:08 AM

One thing I found helpful was binders, this year we started doing a very relaxed workbox system and all of finished work goes in binders. I also have binders for me- so, if I find a cool article or fun idea, I print it out and place it in the binder which is sorted by subject. If the kids ask to do a specific subject, I can generally find something cool in the binder to show them. The binders have saved space and sanity, they take up some space (I have 5 total) and the kids each have 1. I tried file folders for storing stuff and it just didn't work.

Other ideas- I also found the over the door type hangers to be very handy. We use them to hold our art supplies.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#4 of 7 Old 07-11-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Binders is a GREAT idea. I tried folders this past year and it wasn't all the effective for us.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#5 of 7 Old 07-18-2011, 06:34 AM

We just finished organizing our stuff. We have three book cases, two filing cabinets, binder, magazine boxes, plastic containers etc. One book shelf houses the containers with the paper (bins by line, construction and printer) markers, colored pencils, pencils, highlighters & expo markers, my office stuff, small games, preschool flash cards & ABC magnets, and playdough. the second bok shelf is all the reading books we use for school and my cricut on the bottom shelf. The third book case houses the text books, work books the magazine boxes that I use to sort work books by child, the preschool text books and teacher guides. This is also where our binders will go. Oh and the few puzzles I have bought so far. Between the book cases are the filing cabinets.

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
#6 of 7 Old 07-19-2011, 07:09 PM

What do you have to work with?? Closet? One shelf? A backpack hanging from a fan?

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#7 of 7 Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 AM

Hi

If you want an open area where things are accessible maybe a small space like this 

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/organizing/organizing-craft-room 

I think you could probably find an old dresser of bookcase and dress it up..have the kids help for fun. Look at this orange and white cubby 

http://pristinecleanhome.blogspot.com/2011/07/repainting-furniture-101.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page