do I really need top sheets?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-22-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since I've become an adult, I have never used a top sheet....it's the fitted sheet and then the comforter.  It works for me and dh.  My children don't use a top sheet either, although I've never put one on their beds.  They move around so much, I can't imagine they'd like the feel.

So I just did a major purge of my linen closet and do I really need to keep these top sheets??  Should I save the ones for my children's beds, in case they want one??  I know it seems stupid to hold on to these, but I keep thinking, "Maybe some day I'll want a top sheet??"  But it hasn't happened yet.  What to do?

#2 of 13 Old 07-22-2011, 02:28 PM

Would you give guests the top sheet?

This is coming from someone with a messy house, but I would keep them. They also work in a pinch as a bottom sheet or making a bed up on a couch for someone. 

Or, are they cute? Do you sew? Maybe convert them into curtains or even clothes?

#3 of 13 Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dh sleeps with the top sheet while I have the comforter. I joke he's part penguin.
Beyond that, would keep it as pp said, I use it for guest beds, as a bottom sheet, to make forts, and for slumber parties with dd1, when a guest might only bring a sleeping bag

If you buy sheets by the individual piece, you might just want to buy 1 top sheet and 2+ bottoms as needed.

I've also found my bottom sheets wear out befor the top, so I do have several more tops than bottoms.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 13 Old 07-22-2011, 06:43 PM

What is a 'comforter'?  

Can it be washed easily like a sheet?  If not, if it was me I would prefer to keep a top sheet must admit.

SAHM to three
#5 of 13 Old 07-22-2011, 07:27 PM

We use our top sheets to cover our tomato plants during hail storms and late frosts. biggrinbounce.gif

When dh and I got together he always used a top sheet, now he can't stand them either. I just get tangled up in them as I am such a tosser at night, and the bed is so much easier to make with just a comforter!

Could you make a comforter cover from your sheets?

#6 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
What is a 'comforter'?

A duvet with a non-removable cover. As most people wash comforters less than duvet covers, I get kind of icked out when there are no top sheets.

BUT It's your bed, OP, and for all I know, you wash your comforter all the time, so if you never use top sheets, then go for it and declutter! (But maybe save just one for guests?)

#7 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 05:48 AM

I actually stopped using a top sheet awhile ago too but only because my duvet cover gets washed regularly. Or in the warmer months I use a light blanket that also gets washed. I agree that no top sheet with a comforter that doesn't get laundered regularly kinda squicks me out. 

One time when I was travelling I stayed at some little cheap motel and there was no top sheet on the bed, to use with the motel comforter! jaw.gif

I complained but they kept bringing me more fitted sheets. I was flabbergasted lol. I doubt I slept that night either.  

#8 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Given that you don't actually use top sheets, and you're happy not using them, I'd say it doesn't make sense to keep them all.  You might want to keep one for guests, along with a lightweight blanket that's less warm than a comforter.  It annoys me when I'm sleeping somewhere else and there aren't enough layering options on the bed.  What if it's too hot for a comforter, but too cold for no covers at all?  My sister says it works fine for her to use just a comforter all the time, and she adjusts to different temperatures by adjusting how much of her body is not covered.  That doesn't work for me.  If part of my body is too hot and part is too cold, that doesn't add up to being comfortable overall.

#9 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 06:31 AM

My kids get tangled in them, so they don't have one.  However, I'm also of the camp that gets squicked out when I sleep with a comforter without a top sheet, particularly if I think the comforter hasn't been washed --- a hotel doing that would probably leave me sleepless, too!! --- so I might save one or two for guests.  :)

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#10 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 06:35 AM

I prefer to have a top sheet option personally. Lately it has been too hot to sleep under anything but the sheet and I don't like to sleep totally uncovered. Sometimes the blanket or comforter underside is not as smooth as a sheet and it bothers me.

If you don't like sleeping with them under any circumstance- and can not think of any other immediate use for them- then I would get rid of them. If you need one someday I'm sure you can get another one easily.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#11 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If you are frugal/crafty, you can make pillow-cases, cafe curtains, veggie bags, a play tent for the kids, summer tops and dresses, and other things with them. Or just use them as drop cloths when you paint.

If you really won't use them for anything, then I would save one for guests and get rid of the rest.

Since others are discussing the concept of going topless, I'll say that I love my top sheet and wouldn't sleep well without it. In winter, I like layering the bed. In summer, I like sleeping with some kind of covering but duvets and comforters are too heavy. I also think it's easier and more frugal to wash sheets regularly (since you can stuff several in a single load) than comforters, since comforters tend to need individual laundering. Unless you have some huge capacity washing machine, in which case I really envy you. But hey, that's me - we all have to be comfortable in our own beds  smile.gif

#12 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 08:22 AM

Hot weather is a good point. I have ac in my house but I've been using a flannel top sheet in lieu of a blanket. Good point about the kids getting tangled too. We co sleep and I think that may originally be why I did away with them.  

Now, about going topless; my sheets are um, sagging a little and I'm not sure they are ready to be exposed. 

lol.gif  

#13 of 13 Old 07-25-2011, 03:11 PM

We don't have top sheets, but we have duvet covers which actually are made from top sheets ;) So, if you're handy at all, they are super easy to turn into duvet covers.

Simply put two together, right sides together and stitch around 3 of the 4 sides. Then on the 4th decide if you want to do buttons or snaps (or velcro) on that side and how large an opening you'd like (depending on the size of the comforter you're stuffing into it, you might need it all open or just a small 1/3 area in the center).

We then change our duvet covers like they are 'sheets' and we can wash all three beds duvets and sheets/pillowcases in one load.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page