Simple shoe storage for multiple children??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-27-2011, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you have a large family what do you do with the kids shoes? Looking for some clever ideas.

I don't have a big family...yet :) But I hope to, so we have already subscribed to the family closet thing and are keeping all the hand-me-down shoes so there are quite a lot. Even with the minimal amount in each size you still need several different types for each child. Have tried a lot of things, my favorite so far is probably just to have a nice basket for each size and tossing them in there, but they do tend to get the other pairs grubby after a while. Also need something which doesn't take up a lot of floor space like that does because I want it to all fit in the family closet if possible- or maybe near the front door if I could make that work. But has to still be easy to put away and stored in a way that the kids can reach them somewhat. Wondering what others have tried or do now?.....

#2 of 14 Old 07-27-2011, 03:23 PM

Here is what I do for what it worth. I have a lot of hand me down shoes because my older DD is tiny and seems to perfer pre-loved shoes. I also have a toddler girl. In their closet are boxes with 2 to 3 sizes we aren't wearing right now. These are labeled. In the living room is a basket with all the shoes. I do a little seasonal sorting but most shoes live there. The toddler's "job" is to put shoes back in the basket. 

I have a couple nicer pairs of shoes on a shelf in DD1's closet so there is something clean for dress up occasions. 

#3 of 14 Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Banned

we only do two pairs of shoes at this point (gum boots and sneakers) for the kiddo, and my husband has the most shoes, and I'm down to three pairs as well. It works well for me.

anyway, what I would do for storage is wash the shoes, put some lavender (dried) in a zip-lock or cloth bag of the right size, and put the shoes in there. Then put them in a box with the size on the box. 

#4 of 14 Old 07-27-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I meant the ones in use ;) The ones out of use are in storage boxes at the moment. Just finding that storing the ones in their size takes up a lot of floor space when there are multiple kids.

#5 of 14 Old 07-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Banned

i think that i would handle shoes basically seasonally, and perhaps have specific places for sport shoes, etc. here, shoe racks by the door are super-common.

#6 of 14 Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

A couple of the kids p lay places we go to have some cute shoe storage made from lengths of plastic pipe (like round drain pipe) They are cut into lengths, slightly longer than the shoes and stacked into pyramids. (A hot glue gun would probably work well to glue them together)  One pair of shoes can fit inside each pipe

If you have a door near where you want to store them the over door racks can work well. The big problem I had was that the kids could not reach up to it. Hanging pockets work for smaller shoes but again the over the door ones are a bit high for little ones to reach into.

#7 of 14 Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

That's a great idea, I never thought of doing it seasonally. The weather can be so variable so each size needs play shoes -for us Dawgs (Crocs but comfier/softer)- then going out shoes, gumboots, and sneakers or closed shoes of some kind. I also have a weakness for cute traditional sandals so I usually have one pair of those in each size. I had thought of getting 2 of these DVD racks I saw at Ikea as they are very tall and take up almost no floor space and you can fit quite a few pairs on them... http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/10168230 But they would only fit the littler sizes probably up to 8 or 9, and pretty pricey if they didn't turn out to be all that useful :). 

#8 of 14 Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 PM

DH and I store our shoes in a wardrobe.

Kids' shoes live in a long storage bench. It is very shallow so nothing gets buried. They each have 1 pair of school shoes, 1 pair of sneakers, and 1 pair of flip-flops. 1 DC also has slippers, and another has a pair of cleats. Rainboots live in a bucket outside.

I don't pass down anything that gets regular wear as I think it's bad for foot health. Rainboots and flip-flops (which only go to the pool or the beach) are exempt.

#9 of 14 Old 07-29-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Why is it bad for foot health? I only have littler ones at the moment so I guess they don't really sweat much or anything. Just curious :).....

#10 of 14 Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 PM

Because insoles conform to the shape of the wearer. So say #1 has really flat feet, when #2 gets the shoes, they don't have proper arch support etc... For shoes that are going to be worn at least 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, I think a custom fit is really important; for beach wear, not so much.

#11 of 14 Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

ah okay never thought of that. I guess we are barefoot a lot and only wear shoes going out, park, shops etc. But I can see how older kids would be in them a lot more. All our shoes are soft/flexible types so they aren't really stuck/moulded into a certain position by the actually foot so much.

#12 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 07:05 AM

I have been using shoe racks, can't imagine using any other method! There are 3 children, and we've always had *at least* a pair of sandals and a pair of sneakers for each child/mother, plus I have boots and dh has funeral/wedding dress shoes along with his sneakers and workboots. You can buy shoe racks that hang over a door, or screw into a door. Ours is attached to the inside of the closet door. With the kids getting older, getting into sports or horses, the shoes seem to reproduce like crazy so shoe racks have been wonderful in our home. I also have a 3-tier stand-up shoe rack in the front entryway that we keep our daily shoes on.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#13 of 14 Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

We have a dresser in the foyer area where we store our shoes.  It is pretty simple and keeps everything in one place.  We usually have 2 pairs of shoes in rotation -- sandals/crocs and a sneakers right now.  The kids are good about taking their shoes off when the come in and dumping them in the dresser drawers.  

I have a basket outside for soccer cleats and shin guards...those are pretty stinky and can funk up the dresser.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#14 of 14 Old 08-02-2011, 05:33 PM

We have cubbies in the garage. Every family member has his/her own cubby and all of their current shoes go there. I will say we limit shoes, though. I know some families have many shoes and that might not work for them.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page