Toy library verses decluttering - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-30-2011, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have too many toys, but I'm having such a hard time getting rid of anything as they are 'good' developmental toys.

We have blocks, legos, pounding toys, sorting, farms (one Schliech animals, one little people) vechicels, puzzles, wooden ramp toy, potato heads, art stuff and easel, tons of books, music instruments, dress up and felt playhouse...We don't have yet dollhouse or play kitchen...I was thinking for birthday and Christmas, though this Christmas will be wooden train track.

I was reading a book about education and came to the section about choosing a daycare and realized they were describing the 'centers' in my house. I want to have less, but not have less if you know what I mean.

What have you done? should I do? advice?

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#2 of 3 Old 07-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

i'm not sure which angle you are taking with this. :)

is it that you want to have less stuff?

is it that you think your children are overwhelmed with the stuff they have?

is it that you want to have less stuff visible at a given time?

i'm thinking that the first step might be a toy rotation. some toys out all the time, others out some of the time. Eg, you have two farms -- switch them out each quarter. Or to just have a good closet devoted to this, so that children can go in, grab what they want, use it, put it away, onto the next thing. 

we don't have nearly as much (and only one child) -- so we leave everything out all the time. I just did a cull, too, of some toys that he's not using and some that were passed onto us (but we didn't really want/need). I'm planning on either a book case or cupboard for his things -- that he can open and play with, and then we can tidy away at various times of the day. 

#3 of 3 Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 AM

would like to hear more suggestions about this too, as we are overrun with toys!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page