Paperwork - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-10-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay this is my least-favorite thing to organize because there's not much in the way of prettiness I can add to it, but, alas, my office space is overflowing into my kitchen eyesroll.gif

I'm gearing up for a major overhaul of my home office and I want to know... what type of organization/filing system do you use? What type of paperwork do you keep and for how long? 

I want to move all of my bills over to electronic pay and I spent some time on the phone today asking to be taken off of credit card/department store mailing lists. Hopefully that will cut down on the pieces of paper constantly piling up. 

Send me some inspiration!

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#2 of 4 Old 08-10-2011, 04:30 PM

http://ultimatemoneyblog.com/record-retention-guidelines  Here's a guideline I use for paperwork. I hate having to keep things!

I shred most bills that we get paper billed for.  Most of ours are set up on electronic billing and we can print them if we ever need to.

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#3 of 4 Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 PM

I have a shelf full of 3 ring binders that I use for our paperwork.  I have binder each for taxes, bills, investments, bank accounts, insurance, medical records, house/apartment paperwork, and then a few I can't remember.  I use separators in the binders to divide them up, like in the bills binder, there's a section for Con Ed, cable, cell phones, etc.  I keep our taxes forever, everything else I keep about 12 months worth.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#4 of 4 Old 08-18-2011, 12:41 PM

I use the standard filing cabinet system with hanging files and folders. I pay nearly everything online and get online bank statements, so I don't have much paperwork to deal with. 

Here's what I have in mine. The first one is the hanging file and then the items after the dash are folders inside. I also have them color-coded. Green for finances, red for vehicles, yellow for owners manuals, purple for household stuff. I'm definitely Type A... 2whistle.gif

Taxes

- one folder for each of the past 7 years of income taxes

- personal property taxes 

- real estate taxes

Income/Receipts (my husband needs to save this sort of stuff for tax time because of his work situation)

- one folder for paycheck stubs from each employer

- receipts

Accounts

- one folder for each bank account

- one folder for each investment account

Insurance (I only keep the current policy. When we get new policies, I shred the old ones and replace.)

- auto

- home

- life

- health

Loans

- one folder for each vehicle

- mortgage

Credit Reports

- one folder for my report and one for my husband. I get the free report for each of us every year and shred the old one.

Bills (These are odd bills that aren't paid monthly, like doctor visits for example.)

- Current Bills

- Paid

Vehicles

- one folder per vehicle (these are things like service records, maintenance logs since we do our own oil changes and that sort of stuff)

Owners Manuals

- Household (kitchen appliances, etc.)

- Tools (my husband has a huge collection of tools, so his manuals get their own folder)

- Kids

Food

- Recipes To Try

- Recipes To File

- Restaurant Menus

And then each household member (including our dogs for vet/shot records) have their own hanging file for miscellaneous paperwork.

I probably save paperwork longer than I should. I keep owners manuals until we get rid of the item. I keep vehicle records, including loan paperwork, until we get rid of the vehicle, even if the loan is long paid. I save bank account paperwork until the account is closed. The paycheck stubs and receipts, I usually keep for 2-3 years in case we get audited. Here's another link with record retention guidelines: http://www.onlineorganizing.com/ExpertAdviceToolboxTips.asp?tipsheet=24

I said at the beginning of my post that I don't have much paperwork, but it sure does seem like a lot after I list it all out! 

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page