Are these glass canisters worth keeping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-25-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was given these thick glass canisters for free. I thought they'd be great for things like sugar, oatmeal, flour, etc. but the opening is not wide enough for a measuring cup to fit in. I guess people get scoops for this but it seems like it would just be easier after all to just still the measuring cup into the flour bag like I've been doing my whole adulthood. What do you think? They are rectangular/tall.

#2 of 6 Old 08-26-2011, 06:37 AM

Technically, when measuring flour, you're not supposed to scoop it out with the measuring cup. The proper way to do it is to scoop it into the measuring cup with a spoon and then use a knife to level it off. shy.gif

If you don't want to use them for flour and such, would they hold pasta or rice or something like that?

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#3 of 6 Old 08-29-2011, 12:12 AM

In the last few years I've used a kitchen scale for baking instead of measuring into cups.

I really like it & there's less to wash up. So then it doesn't matter the size of the canister opening, or my technique in scooping into the measuring cup or not.

#4 of 6 Old 08-29-2011, 01:56 PM

If you're not finding that they fit into your usual way of doing things, I'd say just pass them on. (Freecycle, Goodwill, whoever you give things to.)

Crayfish

kerc likes this.
#5 of 6 Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 AM

I'd say if you are questioning keeping something, you clearly don't need it and should get rid of it.

Sometimes it works to take a few mins to think about what other purpose it could serve, but if the perfect use for it doesn't come to you, I'd donate it.

#6 of 6 Old 08-30-2011, 11:38 PM

Tall ones are often good for pasta such as spaghetti. If you like the look of them, you could try using them for that. Otherwise maybe pass them on to someone else and just use the method you are accustomed to for measuring flour, there is no right or wrong way if it works for you.

SAHM to three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page