Getting on top of things... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-03-2011, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone feel like they have it mostly together? I'm not talking perfection, I mean your house is mostly at the level you want it; you have some projects in progress, but can see them being finished...that kind of together. Meeting goals you've set for yourself, and moving on to the next thing?

If not, why? What's holding you back...season of life your in, situational, fear, unreasonable goals? How long do you think it will take you to get where you want to be?

If you feel like you are mostly on top of things, how long have you felt that way? Did you actively work to get there? Or did you never really feel overwhelmed, or behind?

#2 of 5 Old 09-04-2011, 07:03 AM

Your questions are what I am constantly asking myself a lot of the time.

One thing I am seeing is that I am a perfectionist and I am lazy.  I want a sparkling clean house and an organized life, but, my brain is set up in a way that doesn't allow those things to happen naturally, and certainly not *right away*. 

I think it will take a lot of sustained hard work to *get there* for me. 

#3 of 5 Old 09-08-2011, 01:51 AM

I have felt this way, on top of things, (mostly) since I was 22 (graduated from college, earning own living).

I actively worked to get there, and I continue to work to stay organized and get things done that I want to get done.

How do I continue? Luck and self-discipline. Luck in that I have had supportive family and friends around me when I needed them (and that they gave me space to do things when I needed that). Luck in that where and when I was born and how I grew up created an environment in which I could accomplish my goals. Self-

Of course, sometimes I do fall behind on things or forget to do something. But then I just try and do what needs to be done and move forward.

I like to make lists & check things off of them. Make small goals and larger ones.

Of course, life cannot be entirely planned out, but planning and follow-through can take you quite far in the directions you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post

Does anyone feel like they have it mostly together? I'm not talking perfection, I mean your house is mostly at the level you want it; you have some projects in progress, but can see them being finished...that kind of together. Meeting goals you've set for yourself, and moving on to the next thing?

[snip]

If you feel like you are mostly on top of things, how long have you felt that way? Did you actively work to get there? Or did you never really feel overwhelmed, or behind?

#4 of 5 Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
If not, why? What's holding you back...season of life your in, situational, fear, unreasonable goals? How long do you think it will take you to get where you want to be?

We moved in June and I still don't feel together. We've moved a bunch of time for my DH's job and frankly, I'm just tired of it. I need to re-organize the closets (which are very different in number and shape than in the last house we lived it) and I just don't want to do this -- again.

I'm burned out.

I really don't think it will take that long to get where I want to go if I just start going that direction. We have very, very little clutter. I just don't feel like doing the work I need to do.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 5 Old 09-09-2011, 08:52 AM

Yesterday I had the feeling, "Everything is in its place."
Today I feel good about the state of home. Trash is out, windows are open, bathrooms and kitchen are clean.
Tomorrow I may feel totally different.
It's cyclical for me.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page