A big move... what to bring? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're considering a big move to Hawaii! DH has a potential job offer which he feels is the opportunity of a life time. If we go, it would be in about 6 mos.

What to take? How do we get ready?

We moved to our current city, which we love, 3 years ago. Major purge when we moved. Bought our house 2 years ago, and planned to stay here for a long time. Bought nice furniture, settled in. Don't really want to get rid of everything and start over again.

Expecting baby #2 at the end of the year. I have saved all the baby stuff that we used with DS. I know that we could get rid of a bunch of it- high chair, etc.

We have a lot of fancy kitchen stuff. We both like to cook and host large family dinners several times per year. Not sure how well fragile items would travel.

I'm thinking that we could put nicer furniture in storage... take stuff we would need... and what would be hard to replace there.

Overwhelming to say the least. Has any one btdt?

#2 of 3 Old 09-08-2011, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As a military spouse, I have moved may times and you are correct, it is overwhelming.  First Questions: Will the company pay for the move & is there a weight limit?  Second Question:  Will this be temporary or long term change.  

#3 of 3 Old 09-09-2011, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)

The PP's questions are keys.

Moving companies will come out for free and give you an estimate of what it will cost to move your stuff. We've moved several times for DH's job, and have had good luck with the major moving companies. We've never had a dish break. Our piano did get scratched, but that's it for damage over about -- 8 moves. (I forget how many times we've moved).

IMHO, this isn't a DIY project.

I'd have 3 moving companies out and start asking questions.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page