October Monthly Room Challenge - Front Entry and Living Room - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow wish I found this thread sooner!!! We are really working decultering around here as we hope to list our house next year. This month I have been working on the kitchen. Next month I will join you guys!! Even if you do kitchens I have sooo much more to do! Great job everybody!! 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#32 of 46 Old 10-24-2011, 06:42 PM

Way to go mamas!

1) Clean coffee table Just did a quick fix for the top of the coffee table, still have to clean it thoroughly. Remove and wipe down glass panels. Make a wood dusting solution and wipe down the frame.

2) Hang decorative wand on front door, possibly add more foliage to it.

3) Vacuum super duper thoroughly!

4) Wipe down baseboards.

5) Clean windows, wipe down frames, blinds as well.Did blinds and wiped down around windows, still have to clean them with vinegar.

6) Vacuum couch

7) Go thru front storage

8) Rearrange furniture

9) Bust out the knitting and give it a home in the living area instead of hidden in the closet-About to do this now!!

#33 of 46 Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

I was out of town this weekend. My DH & DD (age 10) cleaned the whole house  - without me - for the first time EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! joy.gif

(I couldn't find the fainting smilie, so I'll just express my JOY and gratitude!)

Someone upthread asked about my white sofa. I purchased that light cream-colored loveseat USED back in 1996 (before I even met DH). Can you believe it???? That was one of my best purchases!!! It has survived three moves, two cats (one elderly with poor health; one too young to be away from her mother), one child (plus oodles of playmates), and lots of home improvement projects.

Meanwhile, DH wrapped the sisal around the trunk of the kitty's perch over the weekend. WOO HOO!!! We were gifted all the parts of the cat perch (by various people) and we built it two(?) years ago, adding to it over time. I'm pretty happy with it at this point. I am planning to sew up a fabric liner of some kind for the basket at some point, but that's all for now. When/if the basket needs replacing, the right thing will come along.

Someone asked upthread about low-light plants. Dracenas and peace lilies (spathiphyllum) both do well in low-light. The peace lily won't necessarily flower without sufficient light, but the leaves will remain glossy and pretty. Dracenas are an entire category of plants and come in so many varieties, it is easy to choose what appeals most to you. I recently learned something fascinating about both dracenas and spathiphyllums. They prefer to be watered thoroughly and then left alone to dry out mostly. Um, PERFECT for houseplants, in my humble opinion!!! I was trying to be so good about watering the darn things and I accidentally killed not one, not two, but THREE beautiful (in the beginning) dracenas over the last 9-10 years. Hmmmph. I have several more I picked up just this month and they are doing well with the new watering plan. I also have kept grass-type palm-like houseplants alive (only labeled as "tropical plant") in medium-to-low light. I buy all houseplants as small as possible to keep the cost down. They grow... ;)

I have two projects to do today that will remove two piles of stuff from our living room. YIPPEE!!! One is school related and one is garden related. I need to leave MDC and get busy... ;)

SSD,  That was me, on both accounts.  :)  Thanks for the advice about plants.  I'll keep my eye out for dracenas and peace lilies.  And that watering routine sounds doable.  I am so bad at taking care of plants.  Hopefully I'll be up to that task, though.  I'm going to home depot today to get some *free* paint chip cards to make some "wall art" with, and I'll check out their plants.

I was going to take today off and do only the everyday upkeep kinda stuff, but all I have left on my entryway list is to condition the new couches.  Maybe I'll do that.  Seems kinda mindless and not too traumatic.  

As I've been sitting my 2 year old has emptied out two big bins of toys onto the floor.  :(  I think it's about time for a nap!

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#34 of 46 Old 10-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Well I'm still about where I was by the end of last weekend! Still have some rearranging to do..... glass/windows and vacuum couch (going to dump a bunch of baking soda on it later! then I have no choice). Getting an easy chair coming tomorrow (free), so I'll have to wait until then to get everything in place. Beyond that .....not much else I can do with zero budget. I am going to set back up the play area I used to have in the living room for D. It was a corner sort of sectioned off by her chalkboard, shopping cart, and table. I put everything away when I was having some ladies over but I'd rather she be able to play than the closets be full!

#35 of 46 Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 PM

I haven't made a lot of progress since my last photos, as last weekend I started working on decluttering the computer table with a view to moving it out of the room, but then my DD and her boyfriend took over the living room to watch a DVD and I didn't have the heart to throw them out of the room, and just haven't had time since. I am too engrossed in other issues at the moment in my life to worry about it right now, so this is going on the backburner for now!

SAHM to three
#36 of 46 Old 10-27-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

I got through the school project and those items went back to the school and out of our living room! :)

Still more to do.......always......sigh.........

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#37 of 46 Old 10-28-2011, 11:27 AM

I did one couch and now I only have one to go...  Hopefully I'll do the other either tonight or tomorrow night after Aug is in bed.  It's a little irritating, though, to be done with my list and look around and realize that it's going to look kinda crappy till I paint.  Sigh...  The only thing that's stopping me is that we are BROKE till next week.  So it shouldn't be long.

#38 of 46 Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

I finished another project that was lurking in the living room and put those items away. Everything except the immediate entryway is looking good finally!

I still have all the actual cleaning to do and the entryway straightening. The stairs are magically clear, though, which is a pleasant surprise!

Last big push is this weekend!!! I'm aiming for completion, how about you???

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#39 of 46 Old 10-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Yay!  WTG, SSD!  I think I'm going to finish my last little project tonight, the cleaning/conditioning of the love seat.  

#40 of 46 Old 10-29-2011, 04:04 PM

Well it looks a bit more like a living room and less like an empty room with a couch, thanks to the addition of an easy chair and short bookcase from my mom. She also gave me a couple of wooden partitions, one of which will go outside my front door to reduce the obviousness of the stuff stashed under the stairs- my landlord keeps a couple spare air conditioning units, tools, etc. and I have the Christmas tree and Dahlia's bike out there, possibly going to put off-season clothes out there as well. The other one might help create the play area I envision for D! I never did pull out her chalk board and move her little table back over into that corner. After tonight, I work two doubles in a row, so there won't be much happening between now and the end of the month. This is going to be a work in progress for quite some time. As I said before, the open entry/living/dining area is fully half of our home... and it's just big enough to provide a lot of different options for arrangement. Maybe after the kiddo goes to bed tonight I'll get inspired to put some things into place and shoot a couple pics. It is a very unpolished space compared to most of what gets posted here! I mean even compared to your before photos! But I think I'll do it to get some placement suggestions before the challenge ends.

#41 of 46 Old 10-29-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

I worked on a different room today. LOL I spent the whole day in the office!!! We finally got things hung on the walls from way too many years ago when we painted the whole house. I cleaned THAT window inside and out (crawled out on the roof to do so) and washed the screen in our shower. Each of our three desk areas are dust-free and cat-hair-free now! I need to wash the cotton sheers and shorten them and rehang them...also have my desk drawer to take care of.

Tomorrow will be the living room's turn! DD cleaned the banister and front door today (and all the lightswitches and door knobs). love.gif I will need to do the upper part of the main door and the entire screen door tomorrow (and all the other cleaning...).

#42 of 46 Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

WOW! What a long day!

From my list on page one, I accomplished 9 of the 14 tasks. I am quite pleased even if there is more to do. There is and always will be more to do... winky.gif

I started outside this morning and worked my way from the sidewalk leading to our house all the way to the entryway to the kitchen, which includes:

1. Swept front walkway, walls, doors, eaves, light, windows, plant shelf, etc....everywhere the broom could reach!

2. Washed the outside of the windows and wiped down the bicycles and watered the flowers with the bucket of water when I was finished.

3. Cleaned the inside of the windows -- removing the movable window to clean the outside part since our screens are far more challenging to remove -- and cleaning the blinds and window sills.

4. Washed down every surface of both doors, door casing, threshold, and the space in between.

5. Damp dusted every single item in the room, including shelving, tables, speakers, picture frames (on tables and on the walls), cabinets, every little thing! I rubbed the nicest wood table down with my homemade rosemary-infused olive oil.

6. Vacuumed every little nook and cranny -- moving all furniture, except the TV console. I also vacuumed the recliner and DH vacuumed the sofas. DD vacuumed the stairs.

7. Mopped every little nook and cranny along the way.

[8. DH cleaned the powder room thoroughly, including vacuuming. I came through with the mop.]

I washed out the kitty's basket (it needed it!) and let it air-dry in the sun. Then, I dug into my stash and found a cute piece of fabric for it. I didn't sew it, yet, but it is in place.

DD pulled out all of our reusable bags from the coat closet and we each chose our favorites. DH & DD ran errands and put one bag of bags into each car. We kept one bag of bags in the house. All the rest went into the charity pile to be used as we give items away. I plunk the items into the reusable bags. If we have any gifts to give and they don't fit in our paper gift bags, I've been known to grab one of our charity bags. Just because we don't care for that particular bag doesn't mean others won't... The rest of the coat closet was recently culled, so I just vacuumed and mopped it along with the rest of the living room. (I had vacuumed and hand-scrubbed every nook and cranny when I decluttered it last, which was earlier this month, I believe.)

I am very happy with my efforts and the results this month! Thanks for joining me in this challenge!!! I'll take pictures tomorrow (31st) in the daylight, but I doubt I'll get much more accomplished.

#43 of 46 Old 10-31-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

My "after" pictures were taken this morning...

Front doors are clean and foyer is clear of "stuff"...one pair of shoes per person *who is home* (only me @ time of pic).

LR 1.jpg

Recliner and small bookcase -- all clean and wiped down...kitty scratching post is clean, too.

LR 2.jpg

No more coffee table = the room grew!!!

LR 3.jpg

No more projects in the middle of the room = calm and comfortable room with room to walk!

LR 4.jpg

#44 of 46 Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 AM

before and after living room- really focusing on decluttering!! -nakb4 lvrm.jpgb4 lvrm2.jpgafterlvrm.jpgafterlvrm2.jpgIMG_4071.JPG

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

#45 of 46 Old 11-04-2011, 07:21 AM

Wow, looks GREAT!

#46 of 46 Old 11-07-2011, 12:51 PM

Great job, mamas! ...still feel like I'm at square one here, lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page