October Monthly Room Challenge - Front Entry and Living Room - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 09-30-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Before we even get close to the holidays, how about we take care of some projects in the living room (or family room) and front entry areas?

My front door opens into a very small foyer (raised 4-foot square) that is completely open to the living room and the staircase. This is the area where everyone who comes to our house sees -- even just standing at the front door. I usually keep these areas neat and orderly at all times because of the visibility and traffic patterns. However, the last few months have been so busy, I have let these areas get rather messy.

Here's my to do list for October:

1. Clear off bookcase by recliner. Damp dust it. Thoughtfully put items back.

2. Clear off "coffee table" (technically an Ikea toy box) and evaluate it's usefulness.

3. Dust and vacuum weekly.

4. Mop cork floor once or twice.

5. Scrub banister and front doors.

6. Touch up paint throughout this whole area (foyer/staircase/living room/downstairs hallway).

7. Research new window coverings for living room. Been asking around.

8. Research new furnace.

9. Find something decorative for the inside of the front door to cover old holes.

10. Clean sofas, recliner, stairs, and upstairs hallway - borrow, rent, or hire professionals.

11. Clean windows. Gasp!

12. Clean blinds. Gasp!

13. Clean baseboards and under the sofas. EEK!

14. Decorate for Fall. I actually own a few autumn decorations and I am not sure the last time they were out on display....

Would you like to join me? What's your list? Feel free to share before and/or after pictures!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#2 of 46 Old 09-30-2011, 06:59 PM

Oo me!

Front Entrance/Hallway:

Get new bins for the expedit DS keeps toys in
Paint! Right now it's like a beige tomb... I'm thinking Benjamin Moore Palladian Blue
Scrub grout (ugh)
Clear mail from console table and possibly get a decorative tray?
Mop and dust
Decorate for Halloween

Family Room:

Hang paintings
Clean sofa/upholstery
Organize media area
Mop and dust
Clean windows (double ugh)
Decorate for Halloween

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#3 of 46 Old 09-30-2011, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Me!  Thanks for initiating this!  My front door just opens to my living room, so here are my goals:

1. Spackle and paint all nicks and scratches in the walls.

2. Paint baseboard and window trim. 

3. Clean/dust window blinds. 

4. Either shampoo or have professionally cleaned all carpets and upholstery.

5. Move train table to another room to open space for holiday decorating.

6. Dust, dust, dust.

7. Declutter, declutter, declutter.

8. Decorate for Halloween

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#4 of 46 Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for joining me, ladies! And....you both reminded me of things, so I edited my list above...oh my.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#5 of 46 Old 10-01-2011, 04:13 PM

I will join you for this challenge. Will do a list later. joy.gif

SAHM to three
#6 of 46 Old 10-01-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Here are my "before" pictures....

Geez...terrible picture (lighting and focus)...foyer, obviously:

IMG_1536.jpg

Living room...

IMG_1537.jpg

Recliner nook

IMG_1538.jpg

Plant zone....anyone know what is wrong with the upper plant? It is a dracena, not a true palm. The bottom plant is cat grass and the kitty obviously loves it. ;)

IMG_1539.jpg

Kitty zone...handcrafted cat perch and we ran out of supplies for a box on top, so a Costco box was repurposed for several months (maybe a year now?)....our kitty likes it, but I am not fond of it...it has tons of cat fur in it and is breaking down along the edges at this point.

IMG_1540.jpg

#7 of 46 Old 10-01-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

We've already made a little progress... joy.gif

This basket was left outside on the trash enclosure (common "free" zone in our area) with a bunch of LED Christmas lights in it a couple weeks ago. I brought it inside and plugged in all the lights to see if they worked. They do!!!! Free LED lights and LOTS of them!!! DH carefully stowed all the strands of lights with our Christmas decorations and left the basket on the floor. I moved it to another room. The kitty adopted it, which gave me the idea to use it on her perch. DH swapped the bungee cords to attach it for now. Our cat is small (7 pounds and over two years old) and she seems to really like this basket. We made the swap this morning and she has been in the basket half a dozen times today and has slept in it 2-3 times!

IMG_1541.jpg

This section has been cleaned up!

IMG_1542.jpg

A little progress on October 1st is making me HAPPY!!!! love.gif

#8 of 46 Old 10-01-2011, 09:20 PM

Sunnysandiegan it looks like you have made good progress already.

That cat perched above those glass things makes me feel nervous I must admit! She does look rather cute sitting there though.

I must take some before photos too, but at the moment my DD and her boyfriend are watching a DVD in the Living Room so I guess I will have to wait... eyesroll.gif

Oh I forgot to write my list....

Front Entrance/Hallway:

1. clear out shoe rack near door
2. get rid of unecessary items on table near door
3. move bags from hallway near front door
4. clean shells in basket on table
5. clean out umbrella stand
6. get rid of some umbrellas
7. polish leather chairs

Lounge/Living Room:

1. move stuff from table near piano
2. clear unused items from computer desk in corner
3. move wheely bug toy out of lounge
4. get rid of unwanted DVDs
5. dust and polish wooden furniture
6. vacuum under sofa cushions
7. wash shabby cushions and covers
8. fold blankets
9. move lego off piano
10. move flower paintings

SAHM to three
#9 of 46 Old 10-01-2011, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

LOL @ cat perched above glass things. I had to think about what glass things you were referring to....and look up in real life and in the pictures. They are the heavy type of crystal. If something were to fall, it wouldn't break. Our floors are cork and most items of any substance survive falls just fine. We've had the cat perch in this location since we built it a year or so ago. All is well. :)

#10 of 46 Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM

ooh, I'm in.  My entryway is a bit of a mess right now.  I'll take pics and be back... might do the living room later on.

You're making good progress, sunny! Thanks for the motivation to get something done today ;-).

My before pics of entryway: 

Need to dust/vacuum any cobwebs hanging from light and on shelf...

entry pic.jpeg

DH actually just cleaned the shelf under the window - my kids had thrown stuffed animals, shoes, and other random objects up there over the past several months - so, that part is done, which is good b/c I will not get up there and risk killing myself!  He walks along the ledge vs. using the ladder - crazy man.

entry pic 1.jpeg

There is a bunch of crap piled behind my (poor) tree. I need to clean up the items and put them in their place. 

entry pic 2.jpeg

Not the best pic, but the shelf has accumulated some papers and other things that don't belong next to the plant - it also needs to be dusted/wiped.

entry pic 4.jpeg

My messy closet - need to clean things off the floor and vacuum/mop and organize closet contents. 

entry pic 5.jpeg

This shelf is a mess... I might just move it elsewhere since the kids would rather throw their backpacks and shoes all over the house...

entry pic 3.jpeg

It all needs to be swept/vacuumed and probably mopped.  We have dirt roads so a lot of sand gets blown in under the door and stay in the entryway.

Sorry the pics are small - kinda hard to see the clutter/mess, but it's there when you are up close!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 46 Old 10-03-2011, 04:50 PM

Completed Step 5 today with some massive (but not total decluttering).

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#12 of 46 Old 10-03-2011, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Good beginnings!!! :)

#13 of 46 Old 10-03-2011, 05:52 PM

Drummer's wife you have a lovely spacious entryway there....yes it doesn't look particularly messy I must admit.

OK i just walked in and took photos as is...without tidying up anything...so here are my photos.

The entrance..fairly orderly but I think I can reduce the clutter on the table.

Hallway off to the right not visible from door, nobody walks down here so it has become a dumping ground for bags and stuff.

The umbrella stand needs a wash out and maybe get rid of one or two umbrellas.

Walking into the living room

The entertainment stuff.

The computer desk really doesn't belong in the living room, I want to persuade DH to get rid of it, but it is hard as he wants to keep it and I am not sure where it can be stored. It just attracts a lot of junk!

The piano rarely gets played so it is used as a computer area, I am fine with that. The corner table and underneath it are a disaster area though... *blush*

The couches need a tidy up.

The wheelie bug toy needs a new home.

SAHM to three
#14 of 46 Old 10-05-2011, 04:27 PM

I totally didn't finish the kids room challenge :) but I don't feel bad about that either.. It got partly done :)

My entry way is my living room  lol.gif but our "school" area is attached to it. There are a couple of things I need to work on this month..

1) organize workbooks and school supplies in hutch so they aren't an eye sore

2) organize books and put them away properly

3) figure out how to put the printer so it doesn't look like a bomb went off on my sink

4) go through and de-clutter drawers

5) get rid of bead maze thing that broken

6) hang curtains (I did this today.. Nice brown curtains to make it so my nosy neighbors don't try to peak through the blinds)

7) clean out and dedicate a drawer for a stashing place for the kids toys they like to leave out here

8) rehome or get rid of bouncy seat my baby has grown out of. Same for walker we never use (I hate walkers.. I know Im weird)

9) clean out front room closet and dedicate to housing Christmas/birthday gifts

10) Frame and hang marriage certificate, promotion certificates and honorable discharge certificate

11) print, frame and hang some family pictures

12) Work on making the bulletin board nicer, I just threw it together and it shows

Im sure theres more but this is good to start.. Start small and it might get done! First though its time for bed and the kids are jumping around like jumping beans.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#15 of 46 Old 10-10-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

I've made some progress...

I purchased 3 new little baby dracena majorica (???) plants and repotted them yesterday. They are spread around the living room until they grow bigger. Then, I will pot them altogether in the big pot in the corner.

Slowly, I have cleared off the bookcase by the recliner.

I also cleaned up the mess on the floor around the "coffee table".

Everyone put away their shoes and we each currently have 1-2 pairs in the foyer. Not perfect, but better!

Nothing is actually finished on my list, so I cannot really update it and cross things off... :|

[I would rock if I had made the challenge the backyard and shed and garden! LOL]

#16 of 46 Old 10-11-2011, 04:36 PM

I was following along but hadn't posted. Everyone is making great progress.

Living Room

I cleaned under the couches and moved them around.

I also realized that the couches need a major cleaning, so that will be added to my list.

Put away a whole bunch of clutter

I still need to organize the dvd area and wii area

Front Entry

We don't use this area but it is where our main closet is. I need to clean that totally out and organize.

Replace the metal kick plate.

Clean the dogs stuff.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#17 of 46 Old 10-14-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome all!

Any progress this week?

I think I slide backwards a bit. EEK! So busy all week and tomorrow. Maybe Sunday will yield productiveness? ;)

#18 of 46 Old 10-15-2011, 01:01 AM

I have made some progress this week...but I want to get it as much done as possible before taking after photos!

SAHM to three
#19 of 46 Old 10-17-2011, 03:37 PM

Front Entrance/Hallway:

Get new bins for the expedit DS keeps toys in
Paint! Right now it's like a beige tomb... I'm thinking Benjamin Moore Palladian Blue <---- Will be getting paint this week
Scrub grout (ugh)
Clear mail from console table and possibly get a decorative tray?
Mop and dust
Decorate for Halloween

Family Room:

Hang paintings
Clean sofa/upholstery
Organize media area
Mop and dust
Clean windows (double ugh)
Decorate for Halloween

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#20 of 46 Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

I've been working on several OTHER rooms instead of the living room. Ironically, though, all that other work has led to a slightly cleaner living room. Still working on the living room.... slowly, but surely. :)

#21 of 46 Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 PM

I am so glad I signed up for this monthly challenge...I have made some progress!  I still have a lot more to do but I am getting there.

Please compare to the photos above to see the improvement. biggrinbounce.gif

livingroom_piano-corner.jpg

I have cleared a lot of stuff that was dumped in the corner next to the piano.

livingroom_speaker-corner.jpg

I relocated the wheely toy and another item that was stored in the corner, cleaned the couches and dusted the speaker and paintings.

SAHM to three
#22 of 46 Old 10-18-2011, 04:14 AM

Yea.. I haven't even really thought about doing anything. Right about now Im happy to stay afloat :) On the bright side of the fact we are moving soon is I can try to get a better start on the next house (ok, I say that every time).

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#23 of 46 Old 10-19-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Great progress, clutterwarrior!

One step at a time, Okimom. :)

Me, I've been taking two steps forward and a step backward at every turn. Eventually, it'll all happen, right???? ;)

#24 of 46 Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 AM

I'm going to join you guys for the end of the month.  Our entryway is really our porch and living room, since there's no space in between there.  At the beginning of october we got a new couch and love seat, so that has really spurred me on to *do something* with this space.  I'm working on a pillow (ultimately I'd like to make several) and covering a chair (this one from ikea, so pretty easy), and I want to cover a second, not so easy looking chair.  I'm also planning on making curtains, but I won't have the fabric till the very end of the month or maybe november.  

Yesterday I got rid of about a third of the toys that live in the living room and that has made it feel so nice in here!  We are not toy minimalists.  yikes2.gif  So, that was a lot of toys gone for good.  Woo hoo!  The ones that are out in the living room are now all nicely contained in their bins.  Eventually I also want to go through our toy closet (also in the living room but I wouldn't say entryway) and that might make room for more of the living room toys.  

So, for this challenge, I'd like to:

--  really clean up the porch (including figuring out what to do with our nip 2 year old microwave that's out there)

--  wash the big window in that faces onto the porch

--  wash the curtains that are currently up and rehang them

--  dust and straighten the cabinet the tv sits on, where all sorts of crap I don't know what to do with lands

SSD,  Your place is looking great!  I can't believe that white-ish fabric couch looks so good.  Do you have kids???  Mine would destroy that in a matter of minutes, I'm pretty sure.  And if they didn't, my dogs would.  Sigh...  

ClutterWarrior,  Yay for that corner under the table next to the piano!  That is the kind of stuff that paralyzes me.  Your place looks great, too!  

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#25 of 46 Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 PM

I'm actually almost done!  I'm first-trimester pregnant, and I don't know if my tiny children will "let" me paint the trim.  Therefore, no guarantees that that part will get done this month (my four-year-old will want to "help," and my two-year-old will dip his chubby hands in the paint.  Trust me.  I know them.  eyesroll.gif love.gif)

Your place looks awesome, Clutterwarrior!  Such inpsiration!

#26 of 46 Old 10-20-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks everyone! orngbiggrin.gif

Sunnysandiegan you will get there eventually! thumb.gif

Rubidoux well done with the toys, and you have reminded me of the porch...we never use the porch at the front of our living room as we are on a main road, but it sure needs sweeping..

Turquesa, I can just imagine how the little ones would 'help'...lol.gif

SAHM to three
#27 of 46 Old 10-21-2011, 06:15 AM

Great challenge! I'm coming in a bit late but since the entrance and living area is half of my home, and I need to rearrange furniture anyway, I am so in on this! Sunny, I'm basing my list right off of yours!!

1) Clean coffee table thoroughly. Remove and wipe down glass panels. Make a wood dusting solution and wipe down the frame.

2) Hang decorative wand on front door, possibly add more foliage to it.

3) Vacuum super duper thoroughly!

4) Wipe down baseboards.
5) Clean windows, wipe down frames, blinds as well.

6) Vacuum couch

7) Go thru front storage

8) Rearrange furniture

9) Bust out the knitting and give it a home in the living area instead of hidden in the closet!

#28 of 46 Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 PM

--  really clean up the porch (including figuring out what to do with our nip 2 year old microwave that's out there)  --  still gotta figure out what to do with the micro, though

--  dust and straighten the cabinet the tv sits on, where all sorts of crap I don't know what to do with lands

I did a ton today!  I was motivated by the fact that someone from ds's school is coming to pick him up for a b'day party tomorrow and they'll at least see the porch and maybe more.  I'm going to add a bit to the list:

--  do the upkeep for the leather couches that are the first things you see when you walk in (some kind of conditioner you're supposed to rub on them every 3 mos, I think)

--  clean the inside of the remaining two windows in the living room (these are impossible for me to reach from the outside, I'm sure they'll still look pretty cruddy after I clean the inside)

I also would love to get a low sun plant to put out on the porch but I don't have much money to spend.  Any suggestions?  :)

#29 of 46 Old 10-22-2011, 08:45 PM

Ack!  Can't get rid of this quote box...  but I did a little more today:

--  really clean up the porch (including figuring out what to do with our nip 2 year old microwave that's out there)  --  still gotta figure out what to do with the micro, though

--  dust and straighten the cabinet the tv sits on, where all sorts of crap I don't know what to do with land

--  do the upkeep for the leather couches that are the first things you see when you walk in (some kind of conditioner you're supposed to rub on them every 3 mos, I think)

--  clean the inside of the remaining two windows in the living room (these are impossible for me to reach from the outside, I'm sure they'll still look pretty cruddy after I clean the inside)

And dh said he'd clean those windows that I can't reach from the outside!  Woot!

#30 of 46 Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

I was out of town this weekend. My DH & DD (age 10) cleaned the whole house  - without me - for the first time EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! joy.gif

(I couldn't find the fainting smilie, so I'll just express my JOY and gratitude!)

Someone upthread asked about my white sofa. I purchased that light cream-colored loveseat USED back in 1996 (before I even met DH). Can you believe it???? That was one of my best purchases!!! It has survived three moves, two cats (one elderly with poor health; one too young to be away from her mother), one child (plus oodles of playmates), and lots of home improvement projects.

Meanwhile, DH wrapped the sisal around the trunk of the kitty's perch over the weekend. WOO HOO!!! We were gifted all the parts of the cat perch (by various people) and we built it two(?) years ago, adding to it over time. I'm pretty happy with it at this point. I am planning to sew up a fabric liner of some kind for the basket at some point, but that's all for now. When/if the basket needs replacing, the right thing will come along.

Someone asked upthread about low-light plants. Dracenas and peace lilies (spathiphyllum) both do well in low-light. The peace lily won't necessarily flower without sufficient light, but the leaves will remain glossy and pretty. Dracenas are an entire category of plants and come in so many varieties, it is easy to choose what appeals most to you. I recently learned something fascinating about both dracenas and spathiphyllums. They prefer to be watered thoroughly and then left alone to dry out mostly. Um, PERFECT for houseplants, in my humble opinion!!! I was trying to be so good about watering the darn things and I accidentally killed not one, not two, but THREE beautiful (in the beginning) dracenas over the last 9-10 years. Hmmmph. I have several more I picked up just this month and they are doing well with the new watering plan. I also have kept grass-type palm-like houseplants alive (only labeled as "tropical plant") in medium-to-low light. I buy all houseplants as small as possible to keep the cost down. They grow... ;)

I have two projects to do today that will remove two piles of stuff from our living room. YIPPEE!!! One is school related and one is garden related. I need to leave MDC and get busy... ;)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page