I feel so free! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, I just wrote a super long post and, of course, it got deleted. 

I've been decluttering for about 2 years, and intensively cleaning for the past 4 days. I've been breaking a sweat every day clearing and decluttering and simplifying and organizing. I've had a huge box of books, a couple of printers, a bag of cleaning sprays, a bag of knick knacks, a bag of toys, a box of dishes, and a huge bag of garbage all leave my house. It's been so liberating.

I don't feel like this stuff is weighing down on me anymore. I'm not attached to it. It isn't "my stuff" anymore. It's just junk, or replaceable stuff. 

I went through a different area per day, and asked myself: "When was the last time we used this" "When will be the next time I use this" (not, "I might use this if...") I kept things that I consider "first aid" type things that, if needed would be needed "now" like bandaids, H2O2, ointments, etc. I also asked "Do we have anything else in the house that can be used in place of this if we needed it on short notice?" "Is it safe to keep around, especially if it gets into DS's mouth?" and most importantly, I asked myself "If I don't have this, how terrible will it be?" It worked to get rid of most of the books (I really don't need to keep all of these dictionaries around since we use online dictionaries now instead) and a lot of random artifacts that we'd been storing "Even though I like it, I don't need this decoration piece since we don't have anywhere to display it anyways" and DVDs "I don't want DS to grow up thinking that movies have any value in our life, so why would we keep them around?"

Granted, there is still a lot of work to do. The top shelf of DS's closet needs to be cleared off, but I'll probably wait until the weekend so DH can help with that, since most of it is his stuff that he won't be wanting to part with. I have to figure out a way to deal with the top shelf of OUR closet , which is full of folders that I've never been through, that say things like Comcast on them, so I assume they are records of bills from before the inlaws moved back overseas. I have a feeling that I wont be allowed to toss them, and we'll have to bring them with us when we go visit them next year if they want them. I'm SO not keeping them in my house. There are also more obvious places that need to be cleaned up. Like the junk drawer in the computer desk, DS's bed has a few books on it that need a home while we're trying to sell them. And the dishes that need to be washed. I can't seem to figure out how to deal with them. I thank you all for helping me simplify my dishes, and even though I haven't had a clear sink in days, I know that the longest washing the dishes will take is about 30 min, maybe longer if DS interrupts me or something needs a soak. 

I do still need to make a list of all of the work that I still have to do, all of the places that still have to be decluttered/simplified/organized. After that, there are places that do need a good cleaning, but with all of the decluttering, I've been able to successfully separate the two. In the past I saw clutter as an obstacle to cleaning, and all of the work that I saw ahead of me made me want to not even get into it. But I've been able to do one separately from the other, and it's worked out great! I've been able to clean the bathroom even though I haven't been able to declutter it yet. After it was cleaned, I was finally able to declutter it. 

I've found that waking up early really helped me. When I wake up earlier than everyone else, it means that I have free time where I know I wont be interrupted every couple of minutes, and it's different than nap time since nap time is the designated "first of all relax, then do stuff that you wanted to do without being interrupted" time. In the morning, I'm not stressed out yet, and I don't need to relax, so I can just move on to some heavy cleaning. It's a great time to empty out the area under the bathroom sink, or scrub kitchen floors. 

I just feel so free lately though! DH even made the bed today because the room looks so nice and clean, not making the bed was just an eyesore to him. It's amazing how down in the dumps a messy house can make you feel. 

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 AM

YAY for you!  Isn't it such a great feeling?  I'm getting ready for my twins birthday party this weekend and I've been thrilled at how much easier my decluttered rooms are to clean.  When I wake up in the morning to a fairly clean house it completely changes my day...it feels like anything is possible.  I think my children are calmer and happier as well.

Congratulations to you and your family for all of the hard work you've been doing.  I do think having less stuff is life changing.  I also notice my children have had an easier time letting things go recently when they see how nice it is to have an empty floor to play on.  I also feel less anxious than in the past with the birthday coming.  I know there will be a flood of gifts from the grandmas and having my house decluttered makes me feel like I can deal with it better.  There is room for new things. 

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#3 of 12 Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 AM

carrot.gifbanana.gif Awesome!

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#4 of 12 Old 10-14-2011, 04:53 AM

Thanks for sharing your decluttering rush!! energy.gif I know the feeling...although I haven't had it in a while..... bag.gif .....things are starting to pile up over here.....you've inspired me to begin again. 

Decluttering is a lifestyle and mindset. You can't just do it once, or the stuff will slowly creep in.

(Same thing kind goes for purifying your own heart....gotta keep at it or all those negative human traits sneak back in)

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#5 of 12 Old 10-14-2011, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Just wanted to say your post inspired me to get up and do something! I have a full-size closet in my bathroom that was starting to spill off the shelves anytime we opened the door. After reading this post, I put on my big-girl britches and tackled that monster. Threw away a full-size garbage bag full of expired/disliked products, gave away two giant boxes of "perfectly good stuff I'll never use" and resorted everything into a tidy system.

Thank you for posting! Next up: the guest room! =D

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#6 of 12 Old 10-15-2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeterna View Post

Just wanted to say your post inspired me to get up and do something! I have a full-size closet in my bathroom that was starting to spill off the shelves anytime we opened the door. After reading this post, I put on my big-girl britches and tackled that monster. Threw away a full-size garbage bag full of expired/disliked products, gave away two giant boxes of "perfectly good stuff I'll never use" and resorted everything into a tidy system.

Thank you for posting! Next up: the guest room! =D

looking at your siggy it's certainly the perfect time for you to declutter...take advantage of that nesting instinct that kicks in! thumb.gif

SAHM to three
#7 of 12 Old 10-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Haha no joke, starting to feel the pressure when I realize I have only 7 weeks to go and I have a crib (in pieces, in the basement), a dresser (in pieces, in a box in the corner of the guest room) and clothes (in about a dozen boxes, scattered across the house/basement/garage).... and nowhere to put any of it!! xD

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#8 of 12 Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 AM

Thanks for sharing!  I am having one of those days, and you have inspired me to go through some more things to help me simplify (and feel lighter)  :)  So happy you have accomplished such a big task!

#9 of 12 Old 10-17-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

11 days later, and the "rush" is gone, but my house is still clean!

We still struggle with dishes, but the sink is mostly empty, and I have some counter space. I've cooked a few times in the past week(I cook in larger batches so we eat the same meal for a few days)

I've decluttered enough that cleaning is a breeze. I have a basket in the living room that all of the randomly scattered toys go into. It's not a huge basket, there are 2 dolls, a magnadoodle, and a pack of wipes in there. Probably some smaller toys that I can't see from here in there too. 

We only have the essentials out on the bathroom counter(toothbrushes and soap and q-tips) the rest is in the mirror cabinet (toothpaste, deodorant, contact solution/cases, diaper pins, razors,  and more, it's full, but organized. I keep an extra flat diaper folded over the bathroom cabinet door for wiping up water on the counter. 

Last night, the living room was a mess, so much so that I didn't feel like cleaning it. DH and DS went out for a few minutes and I decided I might as well clean it. I cleaned it all in a few minutes with the help of everything having a place(dirty laundry in the bathroom basket, toys in the living room toy basket, hat in the closet, etc.) Straighten out the coffee table, and all clean!. DH was amazed when he came home.  

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#10 of 12 Old 10-18-2011, 01:18 AM

I need to get this decluttering itch! My place is really much better than it has been in years past, but I would love to step up my game to have things really look organized. Something about being in a decluttered, organized, clear house makes you feel at peace. I'm thinking of doing the hall closet tomorrow......

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#11 of 12 Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 AM

I started tackling our eyesore of a home office a couple weeks ago...spent three solid days on it and it is definitely looking better, but still has a bit to go. Got sidelined from that by a trip to the hospital when we discovered Bug has a severe peanut allergy, then in-laws were coming for a visit. 

Now, despite dealing with some morning sickness I think I am ready to continue. Having clear floor space in the room for the first time in what seems like forever is really nice and I am SO ready for this room to not have to be closed off when people come over!! The majority of the house is fairly minimalist and organized and clear...this room is the catch-all for all the junk!!

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

#12 of 12 Old 10-23-2011, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

What an awesome and inspirational post! I think I might do the same this week!

Jessica  married to the love of my life
Momma to: Levi (09/06), Junior (09/05) , Teagann (11/10) and two furbabies Nugget and Boo TTC our next bundle of love

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page