I have three days myself in my house!! Where to start? What to do?? Every room needs tlc - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-07-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

THis is the first time EVER, I will be in my home alone.   Dh is taking children out of town for three days.  Every room needs help.  Basement the worst.  I have many bins full of papers to file, memories, and general crap.  Playroom has disheveled toys etc.  All my old clothes from last 8 years are piled up in basement etc. 

I'm afraid I'll jump from task to task and not finish too much.  I'm really excited to do this.  Ned suggestions!!!

#2 of 13 Old 10-08-2011, 02:34 AM

OK first I recommend you sit down with a nice cup of something and just enjoy the peace and quiet for a bit...collect your thoughts and just BE.  I can so identify with your post as I very, very rarely get any time with nobody else here....

After you have had a bit of 'me' time, then perhaps start with your own things...the clothes in the basement sounds like a good place to start.  I think it's a good idea to not jump from task to task, but focus on one or two areas so you will see good results without taking on too much in the time you have alone.

SAHM to three
#3 of 13 Old 10-08-2011, 08:36 AM

I just finished MY cup of something nice, and came here for inspiration to get the most of my alone morning at home. Personally, I get more juice in the long run by spending my energy on the daily living areas, rather than my equivalent of your basement. When my kitchen and living room and bedrooms are in good shape, I maintain my motivation to address my "basement" in small bites when I can, even when not alone. 

So I guess you helped me get started today! Thanks!

SomethingAnonymous likes this.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#4 of 13 Old 10-09-2011, 07:40 AM

I would start in the most viewed area.... how is it going MommyDOK?

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#5 of 13 Old 10-09-2011, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

am curious to know too !

#6 of 13 Old 10-09-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

They leave later this week.  Thanks for all the ideas!!!  This is truly better than a week in Hawaii for me.  I need to clean this place!!

#7 of 13 Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Make sure you find a balance between cleaning and enjoying the quiet and clean spaces! So work hard and then rent a good DVD and enjoy it in your clean, quiet space smile.gif

If I had this opportunity I would start with the bathrooms. They are pretty straightforward and then I would have two rooms crossed off my list. Then I would do the bedrooms, starting with my own so I could enjoy my lovely clean, decluttered bedroom for those nights I had it all to myself. From there I would work from easiest to most challenging so that I wouldn't get overwhelmed in one room and not get to some others. I would save the basement for last so that when you head down there you know everything else is done - and so when you find things down there you want to bring upstairs it will be easier to find a place to put them. Take three bags with you to the basement - one for recycling, one for giving away and one for garbage. If you take those out of the house as soon as they are full you will quickly see what progress you are making!

*bejeweled* likes this.
#8 of 13 Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 PM

OH AWESOME!  My family left for what was supposed to be 2 weeks turned into 3 weeks... The whole house was cleaned in 3 days.  And it stayed that way.  HOLY HECK!  I did a lot of painting after that.  I did pick one room a day, got it done then sat on my behind with a good book

#9 of 13 Old 10-10-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

well, here's another update.  I had some hours today to go through some areas....I'm starting to freak out.  THey could leave for 3 months and I still wouldn't catch up.  I have (literally) bins and bins of papers and memory album stuff, articles on birth and breastfeeding etc.  I don't think I can get through very much!!!  I'm freaking out. 

#10 of 13 Old 10-10-2011, 12:59 PM

Whats one thing you want done the most?  JUST ONE THING!!!!!!  And calm down!  I feel like I'm yelling at you.  You have this awesome three days so just pick one thing for right now that doesn't appear to be too overwhelming and turn on some music.  Oh and eat something you wouldn't normally allow in your house!

#11 of 13 Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I made a list at the beginning of the summer of a bunch of things I wanted to do in the house, and I spent a couple of days prioritizing it. Some things had to be done before others - the garage had to be organized so I could make room for crap I cleaned out of the closets, for example, and I had to clear out a file cabinet drawer to make rom for MIL's important papers (she moved to a nursing home, and we got her stuff).

Having the list helped a LOT. I was able to look at things at different times of day and in different moods, and decide which things were most important to me. It's also nice to have a couple of smaller, visible things you can do right away, to get the ball rolling (like clean off the kitchen counter, or sort a pile of papers).

If you need to get storage boxes, have them ready in advance, so you don't waste time running around.

I agree about getting things OUT of the house right away, to the garage (if you have one), or the back seat of the car, for recycling, donating, or trash.

I also agree with the others to work on living areas instead of the basement - though perhaps it might be worth it for you (for the future) to at least organize the basement into areas - papers, clothes, memories - that yo can sort through in small chunks.

When I went through a bunch of papers this summer, I sat on the living room floor and tackled them while watching a movie. I would bring out one paper grocery bag full of stuff at a time, and sort into three piles: save, toss, shred. The save pile was TINY, and I felt fabulous with every bag that went to the trash! It was very satisfying, and I didn't need a lot of time or space to chip away at it.

Good luck, and update us when it's over!

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#12 of 13 Old 10-11-2011, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Two more things:

First, consider what will give you the most satisfaction not just immediately, but a month from now. Picking up toys is a good feeling, but if they are going to be scattered all over in a week, it might not be the best use of your alone time.

Second, don't have unrealistic expectations. Over the summer I did about half the things on my list - but I'm thrilled with the things that were done. Don't set yourself up for disappointment by thinking you can do more than is physically possible in 3 days (and take some time to enjoy yourself!)

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#13 of 13 Old 10-11-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone!!

So this morning, I did underneath the kitchen sink. Ugh, ugh, ugh.  A shampoo bottle had leaked some on the bottom.  Totally gross, but no bugs, so I'm happy.  Glad I worked on that one.  Why do I hold on to this crap???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page