Company is coming in 10 minutes. What do you do first? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Organize & Declutter > Company is coming in 10 minutes. What do you do first?
*bejeweled*'s Avatar *bejeweled* 10:19 AM 10-12-2011
I:
*take out the trash and open the windows
*spray some EO air freshener or boil some cinnamon and cloves
*wipe down the bathroom and check the toilet
*clear off vertical surfaces and throw stuff in the bedrooms
*throw the dirty dishes in the oven bag.gif
*brush my hair

How about you?

philomom's Avatar philomom 10:22 AM 10-12-2011
I check the foyer, the bathroom and fluff the cushions on the couch. If I still have a minute .. I hide the dirty dishes and wipe the counters with a sweet smelling spray.
Lovesong's Avatar Lovesong 10:43 AM 10-12-2011

Freshen up the toilet and take out the trash and make sure there's nothing in my sink.

tresleo's Avatar tresleo 10:58 AM 10-12-2011

Depends on the company. :)

If its a friend dropping by unexpectedly, I don't mind if they see my house being lived in - dishes in the sink, blankets strewn around the living room, books on the table, shoes kicked off by the couch. That's okay. (Although I'd totally make sure the bathroom is wiped down.)

As long as the house is clean underneath, I don't mind if there is "life" visible - it didn't used to be that way, though. Its only been since my house is decluttered, and very manageable for me. I know when I go to other peoples homes, I enjoy seeing their homes in their natural state. I love when I do homevisits with families, and the house is absolutely spotless. Then we come when she's in labor, and the house is totally normal lived in...so real!

If I am inviting someone over to hang out and spend time in my space, I think thats different and I try to make the space should be pleasant for them. Freshly cleaned bathroom and kitchen, straightened and clean living area. I usually do incense, but I love the idea of something bubbling on the stove!

kibba's Avatar kibba 11:35 AM 10-12-2011

I wipe and clean off the counters, clean up the tv room (pick up a blanket, bring any dishes to the kitchen) and then I clear off the kitchen table..usually random things end up there.

*bejeweled*'s Avatar *bejeweled* 11:37 AM 10-12-2011
I too love visiting homes in their natural state. It's comfortable (usually). lol.gif
*bejeweled*'s Avatar *bejeweled* 11:38 AM 10-12-2011
I notice most of us check the toilet first.
Callimom's Avatar Callimom 11:44 AM 10-12-2011

Depends on how many kids can I order around winky.gif

We can actually do a pretty thorough clean in 10 minutes if everyone is working together.

Priorities for me

1) bathroom - swish toilet and wipe down sink and other surfaces

2) clear kitchen island hot spots, dishes in the dishwasher and wipe down - we have white counter tops and they get grubby looking very fast

3) check mudroom, take out compost and recycling.

That's probably my 10 minutes

With kids, one would vaccuum, one would tidy living room (which rarely needs more than pillow fluffing and do a main floor pick up and tidy), one would be assigned bathrooms, and the 4th mudroom, while I did the kitchen.

Ruthiegirl's Avatar Ruthiegirl 12:44 PM 10-12-2011

I make coffee and see if I have anything to serve (cookies, biscuits, cheese).  

Show's you how concerned I am about having a messy house!   lol.gif

Mom31's Avatar Mom31 12:46 PM 10-12-2011

I have a panic attack.... then I throw stuff in the kids rooms and close the doors. winky.gif

ollyoxenfree's Avatar ollyoxenfree 02:43 PM 10-12-2011

1. Wipe down bathroom counters and toilet. 

2. Tidy kitchen and take care of any dirty dishes. 

3. Sweep - we have a big, hairy dog. Even if I vacuumed earlier, fluff always collects immediately. A quick pass with the broom in the living room and hallway is always worthwhile. 

sunnysandiegan's Avatar sunnysandiegan 04:18 PM 10-12-2011

About the only thing I do is make sure folks can get in the front door. Sometimes I pile up stuff there for me to take out the next time I go anywhere. Our foyer is very small, so it doesn't take much to prevent the door from opening. If they are big things, then I go ahead and take them to the car and I check the mail on the way back and then meet & greet the company as I head back towards my place. If they are small things, then I toss 'em in a canvas bag or two and hang them on the door or put them in the hall closet.

Everything else will have to do.

We are mostly in the habit of dusting and vacuuming the house, and cleaning bathrooms, weekly...so it's not THAT bad. Dishes and laundry are just part of life and I doubt anyone is going to freak out if mine are in some state of non-perfectness (is that a word?). Most dishes are confined to the kitchen and laundry is usually in the laundry room or in one of our bedrooms. If, by chance, the laundry basket was elsewhere, then I would put it in one of those places - mostly due to space. We live in a small home and I want guests to be able to move around comfortably and have a place to sit.

clutterwarrior's Avatar clutterwarrior 05:28 PM 10-12-2011

Since my cleaning habits are now pretty regular, I am amazed (at myself!) to be able to say that there is usually very little to do at short notice.

If the kids have been in the lounge (living room) then I might have to quickly run the vacuum over the floor, and tidy the cushions

Also would quickly give the toilets a quick flush/swish with the brush, and put a new hand towel out for guests to wipe their hands.

May have to sweep the kitchen if we have just been cooking.

Callimom's Avatar Callimom 08:52 PM 10-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie2 View Post

I have a panic attack.... then I throw stuff in the kids rooms and close the doors. winky.gif

lol rofl - yay for honesty!

clutterwarrior's Avatar clutterwarrior 09:54 PM 10-12-2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post

lol rofl - yay for honesty!

lol yes indeed...

I must admit that after I posted my own answer, I thought for a moment that I hoped it didn't read like I was bragging about not having to do too much, but then I thought well I am only answering honestly!

I have always had such an issue in the past with housework, so it is new for me to have it relatively under control and it is a good feeling.

I really don't know if i could keep things under control though if I had to go out to work as well. I am a SAHM and that luxury enables me to organise my time as I wish. 

Callimom's Avatar Callimom 10:44 PM 10-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post

Quote:

lol yes indeed...

I must admit that after I posted my own answer, I thought for a moment that I hoped it didn't read like I was bragging about not having to do too much, but then I thought well I am only answering honestly!

I have always had such an issue in the past with housework, so it is new for me to have it relatively under control and it is a good feeling.

I really don't know if i could keep things under control though if I had to go out to work as well. I am a SAHM and that luxury enables me to organise my time as I wish. 

It didn't sound that way at all. And I totally get where you are coming from. Our new (bigger) house is much easier to keep tidy because there is a place for everything which makes daily chores easier (and my kids help). In theory, every weekday the bathrooms and cleaned, mudroom tidied, and floors vaccumed so it doesn't take long to make the main floor company ready (kids' bedrooms are a completely different story - lol). But before we moved, I would stash stuff baskets of stuff in my room before company came. Or just keep them on the porch - lol. It was hard to clean because the place was packed to the rafters. We homeschool so the kids were working on projects, there were books, there wasn't room for my sewing stuff so it travelled in a couple of baskets from the linnen closet to the dining room where I sewed (and we ate, homeschooled, played etc.)

Rainey Daye's Avatar Rainey Daye 09:23 AM 10-13-2011

I straighten the living room and entry, toss stuff into the master bedroom and/or the home office and shut those doors, and try to have the diapers in the guest bathroom bagged up and out to the garage and spray air freshener (EO/vinegar mix) in there. I then run to brush my hair and make sure I and the kidlet are somewhat presentable. 

If I have time after that, it's try to have the breakfast bar and kitchen counters clean (even if there are dishes in the sink). If I have a bit more time, I will stash dirty dishes in the dishwasher (if it's empty) or under the sink!!

I try though to have the main living areas of the house (at least during the week) to the point that I CAN do a quick pickup...and if there are dirty dishes in the sink...well, that is a sign that we do eat!!

OkiMom's Avatar OkiMom 08:48 PM 10-13-2011

Get the children dressed bag.gif Then crate the dog since hes skittish around men (if a man is coming over.. which the only men that come over are my FIL and BIL if I forget to crate the mutt it will be fine).

Then if I have time straighten the living room and close the doors to the other rooms.

Honestly, I tell everyone if they want to see my house clean stop by either before 7am or after 7pm. Otherwise my house is likely to be a complete mess, my dog will likely jump on you, my kids might be naked and you might step in something (nothing bad but I have had people walk right into finger paint that the kids were using to paint with their feet, glue that we were using to make an art project etc).

Nicole730's Avatar Nicole730 08:58 PM 10-13-2011

Clear off vertical spaces, put in a bag or box in my bedroom.

Put quilts back over the chair and couch

Wipe off counters and table

Wipe down bathroom counter and put out clean hand towels. 

Toys and dishes I usually leave showing.  Toys are always strewn about the place!

familycastle's Avatar familycastle 09:21 PM 10-13-2011

Oh, what a fun thread! I do what the majority of you seem to do: bathroom check, kitchen counter check, throw clutter somewhere, spray an essential oil mist, and make sure things look presentable. I wish I didn't care, but I do!

SweetSilver's Avatar SweetSilver 10:07 AM 10-15-2011

Looking around *right now* I'd check the toilet and around it for pee.  Whoops.  Meltdown.  The company is just going to have to pick there way to the book strewn couch and take their chances.  We have homeowners insurance.  Didn't get to anything!

("Up!  UP!  UP!")

accountclosed15 10:19 AM 10-15-2011

Light a candle, wiped down the bathroom and shove everything in the closet. :)

wanderinblues's Avatar wanderinblues 04:13 PM 10-15-2011

is does sort of depend on the company but i basically just straighten the rug in front of the door, put shoes on the shelf if there are more than four pairs in front of the door and maybe pick some stuff up off the coffee table and toys off the floor. hell, i dont even clothe the kid, as long as it's someone we know coming. 

i probably should do more! 

Storm Bride's Avatar Storm Bride 04:42 PM 10-15-2011

Ten minutes?

I'd make sure the toilet wasn't gross, and there was a reasonably full roll of toilet paper available. That's about it. I couldn't really make much dent in this place in 10 minutes, anyway. Oh- I'd probably sweep, but if there was as much crap on the floor as there usually is, I'd just push it out of the way with the broom and sweep around. I do that a lot. :o

skreader's Avatar skreader 01:26 AM 10-16-2011

Tidy the entryway, by making sure most of the shoes are on the shoe shelf

Straighten the couch cover

Check the floor to see if it needs a quick sweep or vacuum & if it needs it, then do it

Tidy the coffee table

Bathroom off the living room

* Make sure it a fullish roll of tp, or if not, leave a ready to use roll in a prominent area.

* See if the hand towel is dry or if it needs a new one

Check the fridge & cupboards for snacks to offer

*bejeweled*'s Avatar *bejeweled* 10:13 AM 10-16-2011
I need to get better at this. I usually offer sliced fruit and coffee and tea.

[quote name="skreader" url Check the fridge & cupboards for snacks to offer[/quote]

Comtessa's Avatar Comtessa 01:02 PM 10-16-2011

Ten minutes?  No problem.

Min. 1) Park the toddler in front of Elmo.  

Min. 2-4) Put on a fresh pot of coffee and hunt for something to serve.  If I don't have food in the house, grab both kids and dash across the street to the bakery for a nut roll or something.  (I love living in the city!!!)  Of course, that usually means that the rest of the list doesn't get done, but I figure, having food to serve is better than a clean house any day.*

Min. 5-7) Grab a big canvas bag or a basket, run through the first floor and grab anything that's lying around, throw it inside, and haul it upstairs. Throw bag/basket in bedroom and shut the door. 

Min. 8-9)  Wipe bathroom sink, dump out and rinse toddler potty, give toilet a quick swish-and-swipe, put out a clean hand towel.  If I've already done that today (I try to clean bathroom early in the morning most days), I change baby's diaper so he doesn't leak all over a guest while s/he's holding him.

Min. 10) Run downstairs.  Make sure dirty dishes are stacked in the sink and there is nothing obviously gross lying around (old food, apple cores, tracked-in cat litter, etc.)  Smile charmingly at guests as they arrive.  "No, no trouble at all!  Glad you could stop by!"

ETA: Oh yeah, usually somewhere in this time I have to wipe off the crusty layer of Yuck  that has accumulated on the coffee table.  Otherwise it is a Very Bad Place for setting out a graceful cheese plate or coffee service.  

I've also been known to buy time by calling the guests on their way over and saying, "hey, we're all out of _____.  Would you mind picking some up for us on your way here?"  :)  

*I try to have enough things tucked away in the pantry to at least offer a "nibbles platter" on short notice.  This is usually a big tray with small servings of cut veggies/fruit, some sort of dip for either or both, handfuls of dried fruit and nuts, some nice olives, cheese and crackers.  If kids are coming, I make sure I have carrot sticks, apples and Goldfish crackers.   Chips and salsa are easy to keep tucked in a back corner for emergencies, too.  And we always have a bottle of wine or two in our little wine fridge (one of our less-practical wedding presents).  So we do OK for entertaining.  The key is to have "emergency snacks" hidden where DH and children can't find them.  

Callimom's Avatar Callimom 03:46 PM 10-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

*I try to have enough things tucked away in the pantry to at least offer a "nibbles platter" on short notice.  This is usually a big tray with small servings of cut veggies/fruit, some sort of dip for either or both, handfuls of dried fruit and nuts, some nice olives, cheese and crackers.  If kids are coming, I make sure I have carrot sticks, apples and Goldfish crackers.   Chips and salsa are easy to keep tucked in a back corner for emergencies, too.  And we always have a bottle of wine or two in our little wine fridge (one of our less-practical wedding presents).  So we do OK for entertaining.  The key is to have "emergency snacks" hidden where DH and children can't find them.  

LOL or not eat them ourselves. We always have cheese and crackers, tortilla chips and fruit. I might try to pop something super quick into the oven, depending on how long the guests will be staying and what other emergency cleaning is required.

Wolfcat's Avatar Wolfcat 05:19 PM 10-16-2011

I make sure all the people in the house are wearing cloths... joy.gif The kids especially like to strip... moon.gif

Then I'll go over the living room and pick up random bits of trash (DS, 5 yo, and DH aren't very good about making sure the wrappings and stuff gets INTO the garbage).

Then I'll change the baby's diaper... cd.gif

By then it's been 15 minutes and the guests are already here.

Three~Little~Birds's Avatar Three~Little~Birds 10:14 PM 10-16-2011

Pray that they'll be late lol.gif

Start at the front door and make sure that it will open - throw all shoes and bags in the baskets.  Quick tidy of the living room. Swish and swipe the bathroom, sweep living room, clear off kitchen table, and close the door to the rest of the kitchen mess.  Close baby gate to upstairs,where I've likely dumped some stuff...

1 2 

Up