Keeping things organized while homeschooling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-15-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is this possible?  This is our first year homeschooling (3rd, 1st, and a crawling 12-mo old) and I am forever feeling like my main floor (LR, DR, kitch, front door area) is crazy!  The DR is our school room and I have a buffet-height large cabinet in there where I keep school supplies, which seem to be spilling out (thank goodness there are glass doors to keep it all in there).  I do clear the table of each subject as we complete them, but always have materials out for the next project I am trying to plan, or books we are going to use from the library, etc.  We just have so many materials, which I try to organize according to the shelf (1 shelf has reference books, 1 has art supplies, 1 has math manipulatives and supplies, etc.).

In addition to the crazed DR, our living area is filled with "stuff," which is typically tidy, except of course infant/toddler toys everywhere, which I have to house there since we spend so much time schooling and he needs to be with me, of course.  

Anyone have any experience or words of wisdom?  I feel like all I do is move piles at this point, and the inside of our school cabinet is a mess!

#2 of 5 Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 PM

I'm wondering the same thing!!!  I have stacks of learning themes in the garage...  Here are a few things I seem to do decently:

- Keep library books together in one canvas bag after kids read them.  They're welcome to take them out--but they can't put them in the bookshelf!!!

- Downloaded most of the books on tape and music to my laptop, recycled jewel cases, keep CDs handy for kids in CD case (it's ok if they scratch them since I can re-burn the cd from my laptop)

- Cycle toys/manipulatives, etc. between the "Kidzone" and our laundry room shelves.

There is a lot I can improve on!!!

#3 of 5 Old 10-18-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Yay!  Someone else in the same boat!  We have our buffet-style cabinet with doors (wide and about as high as chest-level, if that) - I tried to make each shelf a different subject, yet things still keep migrating, or a door is kept unlatched so baby gets into it and there go the unifix cubes for math, or the place value counters all over the floor, lol!  I need to keep it all in there so I can latch it all in away from the baby, but I need a little more space, egads!  

I do the same as you basically with the books - we keep them in the library bag under our easel in the DR to have them handy and easy to find to turn back in.  

I guess I need to get a little time alone to try and see how do organize it better...or maybe just wait until the baby is older, tee hee!

#4 of 5 Old 10-18-2011, 02:54 PM

I'm not sure how to cross-post, but this sure would be a good one to cross post in the homeschooling thread!

#5 of 5 Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion  :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page