Stuff.....stored for years, and decluttered in seconds! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wanted to share my own decluttering rush.. Today I had to take some things to my son's school for the school carnival, but the catch was I found out I had to get the things there in just ten minutes time, before they stopped collecting.

So I raced down to my garage, and just hauled bags off the shelves, filled with toys. Some of the bags I didn't even bother opening! I just knew from the outlines that they held toys, ones which had been stored there for years.

With little time to think or take things out and agonize over them, I just tossed all these bags in the car and took them to the school. I was so frantic trying to make the cut off time I didn't have time to feel an ounce of regret, and I still don't.

It's so nice to see big gaps on the shelves in the garage now where once were bags of toys!   joy.gif

Not sure how I can replicate this 'working under pressure' to get rid of more things...but I think maybe I am onto something here....

SAHM to three
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 AM

This is indeed an insight. One thought I use to help me get in this mindset is: if my house were to burn down tomorrow, what would be the really important things that I would want to keep, or would need to start over in a new house?

A bit extreme, yet, but it can really help. Do I really need all the extra binders and school supplies "just in case?" Do I really need those old crutches "just in case?" Do I really need x "just in case?"

I also think, if my house burns down, what would I not even remember that I had in there? That's usually something to declutter.

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#3 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 02:36 PM

Wow! That's impressive! I have been prepping mentally to do another big declutter. I finished 2011 things in June and I stopped counting. Since then, I have lost motivation a bit. But the gears are turning, and I'm almost there.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Go you!
#5 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Clutterwarrior- That is awesome! bow.gif

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#6 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 PM

:) we actually live adjacent to a high risk fire zone and were evacuated a few years ago due to wildfire!  Yep, that put things into perspective!  Really made me want to make sure I've scanned old pictures!!!!!

#7 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all...that's a good point regarding what we would save if we knew a fire would destroy it all.

I am going to sit down and write a list of what exactly I would MISS if a fire did indeed burn my house down...apart from losing the obvious shelter, and intangible qualities that go with feeling at home in a familiar space...just the things that I might regret having lost.

SAHM to three
#8 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 04:49 PM

I had a similar experience when a friend was bringing clothes for kids on her trip to Kenya. I was able to go through my kids clothes with great abandon, assessing whether my kids would wear each item a handful of times or wear it to threadbare, as the children I had met in West Africa had done. It was easy to get rid of soo much when I knew it would be used way more than it ever would sitting in a basket in our bedroom.

Anno

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page