anyone have a mop they really like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-20-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have bought so many mops over the last few years and I've hated them all.  I don't even mop very much, so I cannot believe how I've gone through them.  For one thing, I think we need his and hers mops because dh seems to think you need a lot of muscle to mop and he will literally shred the mop head on one go.  Gah!  (I suppose I should just be happy he's mopped a couple of times.  lol)  I don't have a lot of room, though, so I'm hoping to find a mop that doesn't need its own ringer bucket.  

If it matters, I've got linoleum (I think) in the kitchen and bathroom and the rest of the house is hard wood.  I rarely clean the hard wood, but I'd like to start doing it more.  I sweep it a ton, but it never feels well swept, which may be more about my dogs than my floors.  If anyone has tips on how (how often, what to use, etc) to take of my hard wood, that would be greatly appreciated, too!

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#2 of 17 Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 PM

What you should get is just a swiffer-- just the basic $10 one.  I let the kids have at it during the day, which picks up loose crumbs and pet hair (use swiffer disposable cloths, or a microfiber rag) then when it's mopping time I put a microfiber cloth on it, and I have a squirt bottle with water + vinegar, and I squirt the floor as I go along, or I even let my 4 year old do it- no risk without a bucket around. (the nice thing about swiffers is you don't have to put all the parts of the stick together, making it as short as you want to, if you have little ones who want to push it around.  When done, the rag goes in the laundry, all done. You can buy all sorts of resuable mop heads for swiffer-like mops, that can vary in how coarse/shaggy they are, but a microfiber with some elbow grease works for me.

As for wood floors, I'd google what kind of homemade cleaning solution is safe, but I know there's a storebought product, I think it's called Bona, or something. They sell squirt bottles, and their own sort of swiffer mop. 

happy cleaning!

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#3 of 17 Old 10-20-2011, 05:28 PM

i have a basic 

Shark® Steam Mop  and it has really changed mopping for me. fast easy, steam only no product on the floor and it cleans everything really well, even though i leave stuff on the floor too long and it really get to be a big job.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 17 Old 10-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

libman wonder mom. I love that it's not disposable, but I *can * buy a new mop head whenever one gets too grungy. And I can still mop without getting my hands dirty. My husband was in love with it the first time he mopped. Sooooo much easier, faster and more effective than the swiffer.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#5 of 17 Old 10-20-2011, 06:02 PM

I love my Enjo mop....must admit I don't hate mopping anymore now that I have this, as I don't need a bucket and it is so quick and easy.

SAHM to three
#6 of 17 Old 10-21-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas!  I have a swiffer (still in the box, lol), so I'll have to start with that.  I hadn't thought of it as something I could use wet, but that's a great idea.  I am going to have to get a shark or an enjo for xmas.  I love the idea of the enjo.  It looks so easy.  I wish I could pick one up at target, though...

#7 of 17 Old 10-21-2011, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I have both a swiffer and a steamer.  Both work fine however I still miss my hoover floormate.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#8 of 17 Old 10-21-2011, 11:45 AM

I love my shark so much!

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#9 of 17 Old 10-21-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'm a dweeb!  innocent.gif  It says right on the box you can use the swiffer wet!  I have had this swiffer in the box for like 2 years probably.  I had one a few years before that and used it twice and decided it wasn't any good.  Then we moved to this house where all the floors are wood, so I bought this current one and never opened because my hopes weren't high for it.  But I just swiffered the living room/dining room dry and that is so quick and I do think it looks better in here.  Then I did the kitchen wet and I'm not so impressed but maybe that's because I just used the wet pad that came with it.  I need to get some reusable microfiber pads.

If I manage to keep my house looking as good as it does right now, I'll have to get myself something funner before xmas.  :)

#10 of 17 Old 10-22-2011, 04:17 AM

Sh-Mop from the Clean Team. I use the Sh-wipes on our tile and linoleum, and the microfiber sh-wipes on hardwood, dry for dust patrol, slightly wet for cleaning. Like a swiffer, but with a bigger head (so it goes faster!), and the wipes are washable/reusable. Our original mop lasted 10 years, finally broken by one of the kids; the wipes last for 5-6 years with weekly laundering -- I air dry to preserve the elastic. 

mom to DS 9, DS 8, DS 4,
#11 of 17 Old 10-22-2011, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahK View Post

Sh-Mop from the Clean Team. I use the Sh-wipes on our tile and linoleum, and the microfiber sh-wipes on hardwood, dry for dust patrol, slightly wet for cleaning. Like a swiffer, but with a bigger head (so it goes faster!), and the wipes are washable/reusable. Our original mop lasted 10 years, finally broken by one of the kids; the wipes last for 5-6 years with weekly laundering -- I air dry to preserve the elastic. 

That's really tempting!  The whole system w/ 3 each of the wipes is only 40 bucks.  I'm gonna try to wait until next pay period...  So you don't need any cleaning products beyond the wipes for normal cleaning?  When I clean my floors I don't use anything besides vinegar, but I can't say they look all that awesome.  lol

#12 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 06:15 AM

You can use the cleaner of your preference. I'll do dilute vinegar on the hardwood. For tile, vinegar (for mild cleaning), or Method/Meyer Clean Day/other eco cleaner. I'll usually mix about 2 cups water, and a teaspoon to tablespoon of cleaner.

mom to DS 9, DS 8, DS 4,
#13 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

It's one I made.  I always have towels that look like they've been through hell and back.  So I save them up, tear them up and sew them into my old mop head.  I feel like it works better and I don't get as mad if it falls apart.  I have wood floors too so it really helps with not scratching.

#14 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Omg, you guys!  I am never, never, never using a sponge mop ever again!  Yesterday I bought that big huge thing of yellow microfiber towels in the costco automotive section and I'm in love!  I wouldn't be surprised if I could find much better microfiber, but this satisfied my *need it now* mentality, and was cheap.  So, I cut one in half and tried it on the swiffer dry and it was a no-go.  If just wouldn't stay on and didn't seem like it was picking up much at all anyway.  But wet on the kitchen floor, it was a dream!  I hadn't realized what a huge pita it was that the sponge mops just don't ring dry enough.  Because they leave so much water on the floor, it never seems clean.  Either it gets walked across or it seems like you've left slightly dirty water on your floor.  I went over the kitchen floor twice with just a wet microfiber towel (cut in half to fit the swiffer), each time took about two minutes, and the floor looked way better than a mop ever leaves it looking.  I always feel like mopping is a big production, I guess since you gotta do it at a time when nobody's around and I put the dogs out or close them in my husband's office or something.  This was not a production and it didn't matter where anyone else was.  Woot!  :)

I'll try vinegar next time.  And Imakcerka, I still have my most recent sponge mop acquisition, so I'll have to check that out to see if it would make a better handle for my microfiber towels.  The swiffer handle could probably be improved on.  I may, though, just get that sh-mop package, since I would also love something that works dry on the wood for dog hair and such.  

#15 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

i have a basic 

Shark® Steam Mop  and it has really changed mopping for me. fast easy, steam only no product on the floor and it cleans everything really well, even though i leave stuff on the floor too long and it really get to be a big job.

We also have this and purchased it as a used show model from Goodwill, so we saved money too. We really love this mop, especially because the pads are washable. I also like that the floor dries very quickly after use. DH likes this mop and has mopped for the first time since we starting living together. All hail this mop LOL

#16 of 17 Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 AM

i love the shark steam mop.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#17 of 17 Old 10-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I just started using the O'Cedar spray-micro-fiber-mop-thingy & I love it. It's great because you can fill the spray bottle with whatever you want (commercial cleaner, vinegar + water, whatever). Also, no batteries or anything fancy. You can use it wet or dry (like a swiffer). Someone above said that mopping usually feels like a big to-do & I totally agree (which is why I usually put it off as long as possible...) but I can leave this thing filled with water & vinegar & just use it whenever so it doesn't feel like a big deal anymore.

ETA: I had a steam cleaner (Han brand) & it pretty much destroyed the floor in my old place. We were renting & the owners clearly had not sealed or waxed one room in a long while, so the steam cleaner did a number on that floor. On the better-maintained floors it was fine.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page