Starting a major simplifying house overhaul....can you please help w/ kids' toy strategy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My goal is to get rid of and organize a lot. I have 3 girls and one on the way. My DD1 was first grandbaby on both sides. I remarried and DD2 was first grandbaby on DHs side. The girs are spoiled by grandparents and have So much Stuff. I can't bring myself to toss half of it, because I find that each kiddo attaches themselves to different items at different times. So something that has not been played with in 6 months, may be loved by new baby. Maybe I just need to get over it let it go. But practically, how do I approach this? They have so much stuff they play with none. Do I box up a bunch of it and cycle toys in and out? Do I donate a bunch?

How do you start w/ the kids' stuff? I'm So overwhelmed with this part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Probably a combo of...
Boxing up your favorites but seldom used
Donating stuff you don't like and kids don't care for
Keeping out only what fits on the shelves/bins/ etc
Working with grandparents to give experiences rather than things for gifts

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 7 Old 10-23-2011, 06:28 PM

I wouldn't save anything for the baby that your current girls don't play with- the baby will learn to love what is there, and it helps if they were loved by older siblings.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#4 of 7 Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 PM

I do a combo. It depends on the age of the kids. Really my girls play best where there aren't as many toys. But I pack up and sell a lot of the LO;s toys because she doesn't know any better. My older dd has a harder time parting wit stuff, so it's a much different process with her.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#5 of 7 Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Great advice from everyone.  I am making 3 buckets...1) Keep 2) Donate asap 3) Store for later (very few here...but some neat wooden toys my now 12 yr old played with, that my 1 and 3 yr old are too little for)

I am going to do it speedy style to save the time of thinking it through. That is when I get into trouble. :)

#6 of 7 Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

I am one day in and have FOUR trash bags of kids toys to take to our local women's shelter.  FOUR!  And we are still loaded down with junk.  Once I got moving, I didn't want to keep anything, lol.  My almost 4 yr old was helping.  I told her there were some kids who didn't have many or any toys and she had so many.  She was not about to have that and started loading the Give Away bucket with toys she didn't play with. :) Feels good!

#7 of 7 Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeChRi View Post

I am going to do it speedy style to save the time of thinking it through. That is when I get into trouble. :)

Yes!   This always works for me as well.  Keep moving and don't over-think it.   And way to go! 

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page