November Monthly Room Challenge - Kitchen - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 11-04-2011, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Clutter Warrior - thanks for letting me know.  I fixed the links (I think).  For some reason this is the only board that I visit that doesn't take the IMG code...and I always forget that!

Hope it works and you can see my 80's kitchen...

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#32 of 55 Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

AQ - Your kitchen is beautiful! It would drive me crazy to see the top of the cabinets when I walked up and down the stairs, too. I dislike clutter, so I would get some sort of cheap, thin wood-type product and paint it white like the cabinets and place it on top of the cabinets. Plywood could work, but it is heavy and not that smooth for painting. We have some hardboard (backerboard, maybe?) that would be lighter-weight and very smooth for painting. You could also paint whatever you use the same color as your walls for even more "disappearing". Once you have a smooth surface up there, it'd be easier to keep clean, too. A dry mop would work from standing in the kitchen, depending on the angles, or a feather duster (long handle) while standing on a step stool. If you wanted to get fancier, you could build a facade at an angle to keep dust from even settling in the first place.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#33 of 55 Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the ideas to cover the top of the cabinets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

Once you have a smooth surface up there, it'd be easier to keep clean, too.

We bought this house in 8/2007 and I have cleaned that area exactly ZERO times.  Thinking about that now just grosses me out!  Darn...now I have to get up there and do it.

Angela
#34 of 55 Old 11-05-2011, 04:24 PM

Hows everyone doing? I know I'm not doing so great. All I've done is taken a box of tupperwear and pots and pans we wern't using to goodwill... :/ I guess its something!!! Hopefully monday I can get SOMETHING done! 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#35 of 55 Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Subbing. I'll be back. I have a ton of stuff in cabinets and drawers that need to be gone. Also, one counter in my kitchen is a catch all and has all sorts of random stuff on it.

(I never finished october's challenge - my entry way closet looks worse.)

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#36 of 55 Old 11-05-2011, 06:39 PM

I'm doing really well!  I knocked out the little things (moving the art stand, cleaning the rug, scrubbing the windows, ordering the stovetop knob, etc).  Tomorrow my husband is supposed to screw together the china cabinet so I can determine if I want it in the corner or the middle of the wall.  Then I get to start moving the stuff out of the cabinets and make my planning station.  No person should ever be so excited about a planning station (!!), but I am!

This is my first challenge and I'm so thankful that I just decided to jump in.  I'm queen of the procrastination so some accountability was what I needed.

Angela
#37 of 55 Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Great job AQ!

I'm surprised to see we're already an entire week into November!!!!

Our hot spots are cleaned off now through diligent 5-10 minute cleaning sprees. Then, yesterday DH was cooking / preparing dinner (mid-day -- crockpot) and he did a nice job surface cleaning the kitchen!!! He also did a little bit of pantry and fridge/freezer organizing. I washed up some little random stuff last night and worked on a few little things this morning.

Now, I am having my BFF and her kids over in a little bit to eat lunch before they head to the airport. Short, but fun visit!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#38 of 55 Old 11-07-2011, 02:20 PM

I got the fireplace done!! I'm so happy!!! 

photo (9).JPG

OK now I can't figure out how to rotate the picture! Help! 

- Paint the walls 

- Clean everything, go though every cabinet and re-organize and get rid of non-essentials

- Clean inside of fridge and freezer 

- Give my Tae Kwon Do trophies to my school 

- Make the fireplace look AWESOME (Eg.. no more dog bowls!) 

- Get rid of the crap on top of the dog crates!

- Get the laundry under control

- get the missing drawers fixed... They are in the garage. 

- fix or replace the old light fixtures,

- get a small dining table in the kitchen by the window (not a folding table and dog food...) 

- Stage the kitchen 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#39 of 55 Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post

OK Bignerpie just read your post....you think your kitchen is 'trashed'?  If mine looked like that I would be inviting House and Garden photographers round.  Maybe I won't put up pics after all.....hehe... Sheepish.gif

In my defense, you can't see the dirt in the pictures... the cooktop is caked with burnt, greasy crap and the countertops are a sticky mess. And one of the cabinets doors has a beautiful crayon drawing courtesy of my son. orngtongue.gif

I am not doing very well on my challenge, either. If I don't get anything else done, I really want to find a system for recycling. It ends up taking over a whole section of countertop and it drives me crazy! We don't get trash/recycling pick up at my house, so we have to take it to the landfill. I need some kind of system to keep it off my countertops. I've been looking at something like this- http://www.amazon.com/Organize-All-Stainless-Steel-12-Gallon-Recycle/dp/B0014RG5NY but I just can't justify that amount of money. Any ideas?

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#40 of 55 Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

In my defense, you can't see the dirt in the pictures... the cooktop is caked with burnt, greasy crap and the countertops are a sticky mess. And one of the cabinets doors has a beautiful crayon drawing courtesy of my son. orngtongue.gif

Oh gosh don't worry!  Everyone has a different level of tolerance for what they can live with I guess too...so maybe only the teeniest mess makes you feel that it is trashed. Well the good thing is that if it is dirty, it sure doesn't show! Good to have those dark wood tones that don't show up dirt. winky.gif

SAHM to three
#41 of 55 Old 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

RE: trash and recycling

We have a bathroom trash can in our kitchen for trash (under the sink -- only size that fits -- PLUS, that's all we generate now).

We use a paper bag or cardboard box for recycling (tucked sort of behind the table -- you have to be all the way IN the kitchen to see it and even then, it blends in fairly well). I'd like something more visually appealing, but this works rather well for us.

Our food scraps go in various places...freezer for bone broth (fresh ends and peels, etc), garden for the worms (we bury produce waste and create compost via the worms and general decomposing in the soil), raw "meats" go to our kitty, who is a raw foodie (loose term for animal foods -- ends and pieces and such), less than fresh fruit goes in our water kefir, less than fresh veggies go into the freezer for smoothies (mostly wilted greens) or soups, etc...

#42 of 55 Old 11-08-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Meanwhile, I had a friend over this morning for tea and scones (homemade) and I taught her how to make water kefir and shared my grains with her. Already, my kitchen is so much more user-friendly!!! It was a snap to clear the clean dishes off the counter above the dishwasher for the two of us to work on the same project at the same time. Good practice for the class I am teaching next week in my kitchen!

On Monday morning, I have four friends coming over to learn how to make a shared batch of lip balm and individual custom face serums and a few other goodies, time permitting. I need to expand the table a bit for that, though, and find a suitable "tablecloth" in my sewing supplies...something that can protect the table from oils and waxes and such. The stove really needs a deep cleaning before then, too. It'd be easier if the fridge and pantry were cleaned and organized better, too. These ladies could help themselves while I stir the concoctions on the stove, if they can find things easily... We've all been friends for 10+ years, so I don't need to be the hostess and the teacher.

#43 of 55 Old 11-11-2011, 10:47 AM

I'm joining a bit late, though I've been keeping up and reading along.  I took "before" pictures at the beginning of the month, and I'll post them shortly.    But while I had a spare minute (DS is napping), I wanted to outline my goals to accomplish before Thanksgiving.

1. clean and re-install two cupboard doors.  They're living out in the garage after a plumbing incident back in... August, perhaps?
  2. organize storage dishes  Took care of this just a bit ago.  All my containers have lids and are neatly nested.  At least until the next time DH empties the dishwasher...  eyesroll.gif
  3. Clean and organize shelf above the stove
  4. Clean the stove and drip pans
  5. Organize my coffee supplies.  My flavored syrups, espresso, and cocoa mix are in a basket on the counter next to the espresso machine, since I use them daily, but it still looks messy.
  6. Pare down serving ware?
  7. Clean and reorganize pantry cabinet.

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#44 of 55 Old 11-12-2011, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Better late than never, Diana! :)

We emptied out the pantry (in stages) and cleaned the shelves and reorganized. WOW!!!

I also cleaned off the top of the fridge (scrubbed it, too) and the cabinets above the fridge.

We have a pile of donations now. :)

#45 of 55 Old 11-13-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Today, I scrubbed:

the microwave range hood -- inside and outside

the stove top and all it's pieces

the little electric convection oven -- inside and outside

and a light cleaning of the gas/convection oven -- inside and outside.

Meanwhile, DD cleaned the fuzz off the kitchen chairs (the bottom of the feet collect cat hair).

DH vacuumed the whole downstairs, including the kitchen, and spot-mopped the whole downstairs, including most of the kitchen.

#46 of 55 Old 11-14-2011, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

In our pantry re-org, we found a place to stash the supplements when we need to clear the table completely. Woo Hoo!

It worked well this morning when I held my class. The table was clear and easy for six of us to eat and make fun stuff!

The fridge still needs an overhaul and soon!!!! I've got another event in the kitchen on Thursday morning and, of course, again on Thanksgiving a week from Thursday....

How's everyone else doing?

#47 of 55 Old 11-15-2011, 11:44 AM

Ok I'm a late-comer to this thread!  I had already decided to focus on the kitchen this month & already emptied the fridge getting rid of questionable stuff & scrubbed the whole thing.  I still need to organize & clean the insides of cabinets & drawers!!!  I really want to paint my cabinets & put in new countertops, but it's just not in our current budget!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#48 of 55 Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 PM

I hit the kitchen last month. sanded, primed, painted, and painted (yes, again) the trim and cabinets. I had already painted the walls. Last summer I put up some shelves to hold large white bowls for produce. It was a long month. I need to get pictures up. I've just been busy doing the trim in other parts of the house.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#49 of 55 Old 11-20-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Still plugging away at the kitchen.... cleaned out the three drawers last night and the fridge today. thumb.gif

#50 of 55 Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Last couple days for the kitchen.

I held another class in my kitchen yesterday morning. VERY FUN! Due to all the little cleaning jobs we've been doing all month, it was easy to prepare the kitchen for class. DH did the dishes and scrubbed the sink really well the night before. He also vacuumed. I cleaned the counters and table before, during, and after class. That's it. AWESOME!

(I was doing a lot of OTHER prep work for the class, so it was especially nice to have the class space be so easy.)

I don't think I will get to anything else on my list, but I am content with what we have accomplished. The kitchen is in great shape now and maintenance is going smoothly. I'll take "after" pictures on the 30th.

How about you? Done? Happy with where you are?

#51 of 55 Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 PM

Jumping in super late, but I can't not after reading through all these inspiring posts...I have tomorrow, right? redface.gif

I would like to...

...reorganize inside of cabinets

...wash outside of cabinets

...wipe down walls

...mop floor

...clean out the fridge/freezer (I did a bit of that this weekend, actually)

Back with pictures!

#52 of 55 Old 11-29-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

You have however long you need or want! :)  The point of these challenges is to inspire and motivate. Timeframes are optional. ;)

You can do it!!!!

#53 of 55 Old 11-29-2011, 04:48 PM

This was my goal list and I'm fairly proud of how much I accomplished!

Quote:

Needs:

* Move fancy decorative pieces to the new china cabinet in the dining room

1. Put together china cabinet and clean it out

2. Cover the glass panels and turn into a true planning station

* Deep clean all the windows

* Deep clean all the floors and moldings

1. Paint brown the little area of the missing molding so it looks like something is there!

2. Paint the floor boards a nicer white

* Inventory freezer and pantry

1. Move extra pantry items to basement

* Scrub the table and chairs

* Order new stovetop knobs

* Move art easel to addition

* Fix backing for dog's rug (houses food dish and water)

Wants:

* Come up with a board for the top of the cabinets so I don't see them when I'm walking up the stairs

* Figure out if we want to move to a gas cook top and then research options *OR* fix the down draft for our electric one

Since I have one day left I'm going to use it to deep clean the floor and the outside windows (I did the inside areas already).  Then I'm just going to call it a day.  Hopefully I can inventory and move the extra pantry items downstairs soon.

Thanks for the motivation.  I really needed that kick!

Angela
#54 of 55 Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

I need to

• run the self-cleaner on the oven
  • mop the floor
  • clean out/organize my cleaning supply closet. I had it looking great, but my husband keeps buying commercial cleaners and cluttering it up.
  • wash curtain and clean window
  • wash rugs
  • re-organize cabinets
  • clean out pantry
  • wipe down cabinet doors

I am not doing so well with my challenge... uhoh3.gif

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#55 of 55 Old 12-01-2011, 10:58 AM

Ok, I'm going to be happy with what I've done to this area and just move on.  My original post (post #2) has all my completed items.  The only things that I'm going to complete before I call it a day are:

* Move extra food items to the basement (maybe the reason why this hasn't been done is that I need to clean up the storage area in the basement!)

* Inventory the freezer and pantry (*will* be done before the baby shows up

* Find a way to cover the glass panels for my planning station (which I'm thrilled to finally have!)

Go me!

Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page