Need some ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-06-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I'm trying to find a new interesting maybe artistic way to keep my things organized.  I have a lot of storage space, closets.  However there are things I don't want put away like books and tools.  Maybe sounds odd that I'd put those things together.  But in my house if you don't see you you don't remember you have it.  Shoes are kept in a basket under an old antique rolltop desk and while it's kept out of site and easy to get to the little people take to dumping them out on the floor or putting dirty shoes in the basket.  Big dislike.  I'd like to have some sort of interesting low cost way to keep things out so that we can see what we have but at least looks nice.  I generally don't have much in my house.  seriously in an 1800 sq house one story I have a desk, one couch three beds, two dressers, one night stand and a dining room set.  Oh two tvs.  But thats all.  I do have lots of books and they are using up a closet.  I'd prefer to have all our books out since were a reading family and tend to reread books like others watch the same movie over and over. 

Any ideas?  Also I don't like the usual bookshelf.  I want something multipurpose. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, this one is not very creative... but what about one of those a-thousand-pocket things that hang on doors? We had a door that we rarely closed, so I hung a pocket organizer there and had a lot of the small useful things in it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=over+door+pocket+organizer&hl=en&biw=1054&bih=927&tbm=isch&source=lnms&ei=8AS3TuDwM8Sk4gSEnfTOAw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CFMQ_AUoAQ

Ours was pretty utilitarian-looking, with transparent plastic on black, and tons of tiny pockets (sized for stuff like hair barrettes, sewing bobbins, small scissors etc), but some of the images on google have fun colors and creative sizing.

#3 of 5 Old 11-07-2011, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love the idea of pegboard.  Also, try searches for "storage" and "book storage" at pinterest.  It's my new favorite place.  innocent.gif

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#4 of 5 Old 11-08-2011, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Here are some ideas for kids' books from Apartment Therapy, one of the sites I go to for interesting home solutions. 

I guess I'm not very creative, because all I can think to suggest is some combination of shelves and baskets. 

#5 of 5 Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Thanks,  I have 6 huge closets.  I've just put shelves in two of them and holy heck that is a total change.  I'm taking the doors off of them this weekend and sanding them down.  Amazing how much room I just got by doing that!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page