Down-sizing considerably with a medically complicated child. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Let me just say that if I had two "typical" children I would not even be making this post.  Stick the kids in bunk beds in one room and I'd take the other...end of story.  Because of the rising rent here and also my desire to work less hours, I've decided to move back to a small 2 bedroom apartment.

I considered taking one bedroom, giving one to my son, and using the living room as my DD's bedroom.  It would work and I've done it before, but I don't like it.  At all.  And DD's medical stuff takes up so much room, her and DS won't physically fit in one bedroom.  So I think I'll give one bedroom to her and one to DS and I'll just do without for now.  This is temporary, 2 years max.

So I have lots of ideas already about how to make us fit.  I'm just looking for more ideas...stuff I haven't thought of yet.

I'm getting rid of my kitchen table and getting a 2 seater breakfast table.  Our dining area will be so small even my small, round 4 seater will be too big.

I'm giving up my bed.  DD is getting mine.  I don't trust her in a twin, since she tends to fling herself around.  But if I put her in the middle of a full, she'll be fine.  This also gives me the option of sleeping with her when I need to.  We're no strangers to co-sleeping.  For the nights I can't or don't want to sleep with her I'm getting one of these.  Bonus:  When she's in the living room, she can lay on it if she's not up for sitting in her wheelchair.

I'm getting rid of my futon.  It's big and bulky, doesn't make a comfortable bed and it's the type that is a pain in the butt to switch from a couch to a bed.  I'm going to get 2 saucer chairs for our living room instead.  They can be folded up and put out of the way when we aren't using them.

I'm making the living room our "homeschool area".  The computer will be there (I'm getting rid of the tv since we mostly just watch netflix on the computer anyway), plus the bookshelf, storage towers with supplies, whiteboard, calendar, etc.  DD's wheelchair will mostly stay in the the living room, in front of the closet where the furnace/water heater are since it doesn't have to be opened often.  So that will still be our "communal" area, just not set up like a typical living room.

DS's room isn't a big deal.  He doesn't have a ton of toys or clothes and he already has a loft bed.  My clothes will fit in his closet.

For the bathroom I'm getting one of those towers that sits over the toilet that has a shelf and cabinet.  I'm getting an over the door towel rack.

For the pantry I'm getting an over the door storage rack as well.  Really, every door will probably have some type of over the door thing going on. 

Any extra medical supplies or equipment we aren't using right this minute I'm storing at my mom's.  There is a little closet space that I can fit the stuff we don't need all the time (xmas decorations, fabric, etc).

DD's room will be the hardest.  I'm going to get one of these because UP is better than OUT.  I think most of her daily medical supplies will fit.  I can also get some under the bed storage containers.

Is there ANYTHING significant I could be doing that I haven't thought of yet?  Obviously I have been getting rid of stuff.  I don't have a lot anyway.  We're not overflowing with toys or clothes or anything. 

I'm worried about the kitchen.  It has a pantry, but it is TINY.  Pic here.

Sooo...hit me with it!  And kudos if you've actually made it through the whole post! LOL

#2 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 09:22 PM

It looks like you've put a lot of thought into a great plan. I'm not sure what else there is left to do.  

If the kitchen's you're biggest concern, try things like, 1 plate, bowl, cup per person. see if you can make do without countertop kitchen appliances, and try not to stock up too much food, or get creative with food storage and keep cans/bottles in another room under a bed or closet. I also store a lot of things in the fridge that don't need to be in there, just because it's otherwise empty space.  If you have a couple pots/pans you use on a daily basis, just always store them on the stovetop instead of cabinet space.  If there's a dishwasher and you can handle just handwashing (easy if only 1 dish per person), then the dishwasher becomes a makeshift cabinet.  I don't know if you bought the breakfast table yet, but see if you can find one with a shelf space under it (assuming you can't hang shelves if in a rental) If you can hang shelves, then go crazy with that in the kitchen!

Good luck to you- hope the move goes smoothly.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#3 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM

I'm getting rid of my kitchen table and getting a 2 seater breakfast table.  Our dining area will be so small even my small, round 4 seater will be too big.

I would suggest looking into a table that has the 4 basket underneath. You can store your plates/silverware/napkins, etc there and free up space in the kitchen for medical equipment or other storage.

It took me sometime to reorganize things to make everything fit and I don't have much. It just takes a little bit of time living somewhere and then seeing what works. My son and I share out closet. I have a small 3 drawer dresser in the bedroom. Top drawer is his- undies, socks and what nots and I have the next for the same thing- bottom is misc...like  winter mittens/scarves/bathing suits/ties. etc..it works for us.

Can you raise up the bed enough for storage- say those thin bins that slide underneath- for school supplies, completed projects, books, pictures. etc?

I like hassocks or benches which equal extra seating and storage.

Just a few thoughts I have had.

#4 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNTEXAS View Post

I would suggest looking into a table that has the 4 basket underneath. You can store your plates/silverware/napkins, etc there and free up space in the kitchen for medical equipment or other storage.

It took me sometime to reorganize things to make everything fit and I don't have much. It just takes a little bit of time living somewhere and then seeing what works. My son and I share out closet. I have a small 3 drawer dresser in the bedroom. Top drawer is his- undies, socks and what nots and I have the next for the same thing- bottom is misc...like  winter mittens/scarves/bathing suits/ties. etc..it works for us.

Can you raise up the bed enough for storage- say those thin bins that slide underneath- for school supplies, completed projects, books, pictures. etc?

I like hassocks or benches which equal extra seating and storage.

Just a few thoughts I have had.

The bed that's on a regular frame I intend to get the low to the ground storage containers.  They will be used for medical supplies.  The loft bed in DS's room will house his 6 cube organizer (where his toys are) and his 3 story firehouse.  It's really his only "big" toy.  That will give him a lot more room to play.

I also got a toy hammock for DS's bedroom and a toy "chain" for DD's.  Neither have a ton of stuffed animals but for what they do have, it can't hurt to have them UP, instead of in a toy box.

I have a long short dresser in DD's room now.  I think I will move it to DS's room, and take half for me and have half for him, if he even needs that many drawers.  One drawer might be for out of season clothes or something (bathing suits, winter hats, etc).  Anyway the kid has a massive dalmatian collection that I know he will not be keen on paring down, so I think it would be good to have to spread out his collection for everyone to see (he's very proud of it LOL). 

I don't know about the seats with storage.  I don't feel we need a lot of seating because we don't really entertain, and when we do, it's a bunch of kids who just run around. LOL  Unless I got them *instead* of the saucer chairs I was planning....but I'd like them to be somewhat comfortable, with a back, and not too pricey.  Does something like that exist?

#5 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 04:39 PM
#6 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

I have to go much smaller and cheaper. redface.gif  I barely make minimum wage and this apt is teeny.  So this is a little tacky maybe, but what if I made a cushion for the seat and back? http://www.amazon.com/Suncast-PB6700-Patio-Bench/dp/B000EFFS5I/ref=sr_1_66?ie=UTF8&qid=1323651852&sr=8-66

#7 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 06:05 PM

That would be an awesome idea!!! 

#8 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Or I could stick with the saucer chairs and just keep a basket underneath each one.  I think they might be more comfortable.  I just checked and one of those canvas boxes (the kind for the cube organizers) fits right underneath.  Hmmm...

#9 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 07:02 PM

If you can swing an ikea mattress, I would get a twin and line the side with pillows against a wall like a daybed. That would be all of the seating you'd need, and you could store stuff underneath. Reading the reviews on the mattress on Amazon, there isn't much room to roll over. You are already giving up your room and your bed, but you should have a comfortable place to sleep. Plus it could function like a couch and you might not need additional seating. Or you could get 2 storage ottomans and put them side by side for a coffee table. Or 2 tray tables. My dd loves to do her homework on a tray table for some reason. Those can be easily moved around, which is good.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#10 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

What about one of these? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Your-Zone-3176098/13275174?findingMethod=rr  It's small but I'm pretty short, not a big person in general.  The reviews seem ok, but they all seem to be for kids.

#11 of 20 Old 12-14-2011, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would do your best to get a table that your entire family can sit around ( not sure of your dd situation.). Maybe. A low coffee table

I strongly suggest getting something very comfortable for the seating.  Ideally , like pp said, something that could be a sleeping space for you.

Otherwise you seem to be full of great ideas.

Ive live with Ikea mattress and loved them for sleeping.  I wouldn't be happy with them for floor seating.  On a day bed would be a lot better.  Not sure again if that would work for your dd.

Biggest advice, is not to bring home pieces that are too big, just cause it is free or cheap.  My personal issue!

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#12 of 20 Old 12-14-2011, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandgeek View Post

What about one of these? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Your-Zone-3176098/13275174?findingMethod=rr  It's small but I'm pretty short, not a big person in general.  The reviews seem ok, but they all seem to be for kids.

Great concept but might want something a tad longer

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#13 of 20 Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

I would do your best to get a table that your entire family can sit around ( not sure of your dd situation.).

Yes, to this. Kids miss out on a lot when you don't sit down for meals together.
#14 of 20 Old 12-14-2011, 09:12 AM

I agree about a place to eat together, but I prioritize sleep over that because our family has some great picnic dinners in our family room. Daily? Not as fun, but better sleep means a happy mom. Happy mom= happy kids.

I don't know if you have an Ikea near you, but you can get a mattress there for $99 and a daybed frame for $79 if you do like that idea. I personally have never been very comfy on a futon. I also say Ikea if you have one because the mattresses come rolled into a box, so you don't have to rent a truck/have it delivered if you have a van or truck available.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#15 of 20 Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

DD can't eat at all and gets angry when she can't have what we're having so we've always just eaten in a different room from her.  Sometimes that's the dining room or living room, sometimes even a bedroom.  She's not missing out on anything and even if I wanted to have her in the dining room, she's not physically capable of sitting in a chair anyway.  We'd push her wheelchair in.  A small breakfast table and 2 stools is enough for my little family.

I've always co-slept with one or both of my kids.  I don't think anything has to change just because it won't be "my" bedroom anymore.  I'm only considering a separate sleeping space for me for the nights where I can't or don't want to sleep with one of the kids.  It won't be any every night thing.  I'm not overly concerned with the quality of the mattress or how much room it provides.  I'm barely over 5'1" and a size 4.  Really not a big person.  My six year old already shares my socks and slippers and sometimes my shirts. LOL

#16 of 20 Old 12-29-2011, 03:20 PM

Can you put shElves on the back wall in the kitchen or hooks under the cabinets to hang mugs and utensils from?

#17 of 20 Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I saw this somewhere else so I can't take credit, but I have gone crazy with it in our house - you can get clear pocket back-of-the-door shoe organizers and put them everywhere.  I have one on my pantry door and it holds spices, packets of fruit leather, grits, etc.  I feel like I doubled the size of my TEENY pantry.  I am getting them for the inside of all the bedroom and bathroom doors and this teeny tiny linen closet we have.  My husband likes to have everything where he can see it (DRIVES.  ME.  NUTS.) so the clear pockets appeal to him - my daughter can keep socks, tights, bows, and all her little treasury odds and ends in hers, and I always need more places to put things.  In the (tiny) utility room it can hold batteries, every day tools, etc.  It frees up a lot of drawer space as well as shelves of things that just stack up  I'm in LOVE with this.

4evermom likes this.
#18 of 20 Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 AM

I've found that in very small spaces, living close to the floor makes the space seem bigger.  So, rather than table and chairs, a coffee table and a pile of cushions for seating.  For example.  And keep as much of your stuff tucked in corners, folded up, or hung on the walls as possible, because a big empty floor space will go far to preserving your sanity.  

Rather than a full-size futon frame that sits up off the ground, you may want to consider something like this.  We have one in our second bedroom, and we use it when we need a guest bed, or when four people in our bed gets too crowded for me or DH.  We really like it for a number of reasons:

1. the frame is small, lightweight, inexpensive and can easily be taken apart for moving/storage; 
  2. it sits close to the floor, so the toddlers can climb on it without falling off;
  3. it folds up to be quite narrow and out of the way;
  4. it makes for fairly comfortable seating, as long as you don't mind sitting a few inches up off the floor; and
  5. makes a very comfy and easy bed when needed.  We just put sheets and a comforter on the futon pad, then fold the whole thing up into a couch, then when we want it for a bed we just pull it out. Unlike some of the bigger futons, this one is very easy to fold/unfold.  

Just an idea.  I've always liked living at floor level when I'm living in a smaller space.  Some apartments are more conducive to this than others -- I prefer it in a carpeted space, for one thing, just for comfort's sake.  But it makes your space feel bigger and your furniture can be more minimal and less expensive.

Good luck with your move!  Sounds like a great idea, IMO. 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#19 of 20 Old 01-07-2012, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

So just a quick update:

We moved into the smaller apartment over the new year.  It's not nearly as cramped as I thought it would be, thank goodness!  It helps that I got rid of a TON of stuff leading up to the move. I'm still working on setting up and getting the new, smaller furniture in here. My breakfast table is missing a piece so I'm waiting on them to send a replacement.  I'm picking up my 2 saucer chairs for the living room and the big cabinet for my DD's room today.  Until then, her room is a complete mess.  All of her equipment is just being rotated on her bedside table based on what we're using at that moment. LOL  Today I'm working on organizing the kitchen and pantry, then after I pick up the cabinet I will do DD's room.  DS's room is totally done and it's working out perfectly. I put DD's dresser in there and he and I are sharing it.  His cube organizer is in the closet, with boxes of toys on the top shelf.  My clothes are on one side and his are on the other. 

Here's his room, the dresser is behind me and the lego table is off to the right.  It's small, but he doesn't really run around more.  He just sits and plays legos. LOL

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/tim_shauna/0429dbe4.jpg

One side of the living room is the computer area:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/tim_shauna/52fc2e2a.jpg

The other side is the homeschool area, and a little further down (across from the computer) I'm going to put the saucer chairs and a small table:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/tim_shauna/02432afd.jpg

And DD's room...you can't really see what's going on yet, but look how pretty her new big girl bed is!  I've just been sleeping with her so far and it's working out fine.  It's nice to just roll over and suction her, silence her alarm, do meds, etc without getting out of bed.  Although she snores, so that stinks.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/tim_shauna/b566852f.jpg

The bathroom is tiny and there's no place to store DD's bath chair, so for now I've taken off the bottom portion (that raises it up higher) and just stand it in the hallway.  I might put up some hooks in the bathroom later so we can hang it on the wall.  And I'm still waiting on the over the toilet organizer.  There is NO storage in this bathroom!

My last day of work was yesterday.  I'm so relieved.  It was getting to the point that I was just dreading going in due to the lack or respect going around that place.  I started to get another head cold on thursday and the director actually had the nerve to ask if I wash my hands while I'm working.  Um...WHAT!?  Who the heck doesn't?  It's a DAYCARE.  I wash my hands every time I wipe a snotty nose.  Anyway she just wanted to put the blame on someone else (because knowing you contributed to an employees kid having a life-threatening illness and being in the PICU is hard to accept).  But the fact of the matter is, they don't enforce the sick policy and for a week and a half over the holidays, we had no bleach in the entire center, and they were too lazy to go get any.  We couldn't even disinfect the changing tables.  This is the kind of stuff we've been putting up with.  I'm so DONE. She asked me to stay another week.  No, no, no!  I've saved up enough to stay home with the kids for at least 6 months.

#20 of 20 Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 AM

Everything looks great! I love those 3m hooks that come off cleanly for hanging pans and just about everything else that needs a hook.

That's amazing you be able to stay home for 6 months. Good luck to you.

Tags
Organizing , Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page