I AM A PIG! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-15-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am writing this here, so that hopefully I will get some insperation to HAUL OUT my home.  First off I am super cheap.  So i buy most everything, not food or cleaning supplies, from thrift stores.  BUT I have an issue with bag sales.  I have so many clothes that I do not know what to do with.  Do I bad them all up and donate them???  Should I just chuck it.  Some of it I can repurpose, but I am talking very little.  I have clothes coming out of my ears.  My bedroom is like a clothes bomb went off.  Another thing that I do is PILE stuff.  I pile and pile and pile till I am all piled out, and my house is still dissorganized.  I want my house to be CLUTTER FREE.  I go on play dates with ds and think, "they are NOT coming to my house".  My home is not dirty at all, it is just so cluttered.  I am too embarresed to ask friends for help, because I am scared of the judgment I may get. 

HOW DO I START?!?!?!?!

When I start my de cluttering I end up making a bigger mess, and get stressed and then hide stuff so it looks like I did something.  It drives dp INSANE at times. 

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-16-2011, 12:47 PM

First I'd stop shopping for a while. You say you are cheap, but even unneeded clothing from a thrift store is a waste of money. I used to do the same thing, but I am learning that I feel better and can do with less when I try on and try on until I find a week's worth of clothing I really like. I stopped taking chances with thrift store finds, even though it's fun. But you have to stop bringing stuff in until you take inventory and see what you actually need, if anything at all.

Second, yes. Bag it up and donate. People will say not to take stained things to Goodwill, but I heard that they sell the stained stuff to be recycled and make money that way, so if you have Goodwill check with them. Write down every situation you have to dress for. I like sweats and comfy stuff for home (some of which overlaps with sleepwear). Then I need some nicer but casual stuff to run to my dd's school and such. Then I need a few nicer things for holidays and family get-togethers. I have a black dress and a brown and ivory dress and matching shoes for both. I let go of my professional wardrobe since I am a SAHM. I'm working on giving myself a number of outfits and no more. If I have more, I have to pack it away and see how long I can live without it.

Last year, I did the 2011 things in 2011 challenge. I had so much stuff I finished by June (my personal goal and was able to keep going (Lost count). The piles become less and less when you get it out. Then you can work on finding pretty baskets to put stuff in and make up routine times to sort and empty them. But first give yourself some room to breath and get as much out as you can.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#3 of 10 Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmof2girls View Post

When I start my de cluttering I end up making a bigger mess, and get stressed and then hide stuff so it looks like I did something.  It drives dp INSANE at times. 

1) Let go of the idea that this will be a one-off project. You will not get it done in an hour, an afternoon, a day, or a weekend. And that's ok.

2) Therefore, instead of trying to tackle the whole thing at once, tackle smaller units. "Just this pile." "Just this drawer." "Just this corner." "Just the low hanging fruit that I can easily see and know I want to get rid of, and I'll just ignore the rest that I'm not sure about for today, just so I can make progress."

3) GET RID OF YOUR STUFF FREQUENTLY. So, instead of thinking "I'll have a pile over here of things to donate" and just leaving that pile until you're "done" so you can donate it all at once... yeah, let that idea go. If you're going to spend a few hours on Saturday afternoon working on this, build in time and energy to take your bags in that day. Don't wait until you're about to collapse, just stop at 4pm and take whatever you've got in to Goodwill or whatever. Same with the trash, get it to the dump, get it to the curb, whatever you need to do with it. If you're doing 30 minutes at a time, then put the bags in your car so that after 3 x 30 minute sessions, you get rid of them. And they'll already be in the car and not cluttering up your house.

4) Yes, stop the influx. Don't buy anything else until you've gotten control of your clutter. At least the clothes (sounds like clothes is your primary issue). No doubt you already have all the clothes you need. You just need to know what you have, and be able to find them/get to them.

5) Depending on your personality, you can either attack things in layers (donate/toss things over time, starting with the most obvious/easiest first but keeping things you're not sure you want to get rid of yet, then over time realizing that you don't need/want some of those items anymore, etc.) or do a hardcore purge. With a hardcore purge, you plan ahead of time what you really need (4 fall/winter pants, 4 summer shorts, 4 skirts... whatever), figure out what you must keep, and get rid of the rest.

6) Once you've gotten things under control, control the influx too. If you see a cute blouse on sale, ask yourself which blouse you already have that you'll get rid of to make the space for this new one. And if you can't think of any blouse you already have that you want less than this new one, don't get the new one since you apparently already have blouses you like better anyway. It's ok to buy new things but you have to have the space for them. It's ok to trade in old things for new ones, but you can't just keep adding and adding and adding without making any subtractions.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#4 of 10 Old 12-16-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:

3) GET RID OF YOUR STUFF FREQUENTLY. So, instead of thinking "I'll have a pile over here of things to donate" and just leaving that pile until you're "done" so you can donate it all at once... yeah, let that idea go. If you're going to spend a few hours on Saturday afternoon working on this, build in time and energy to take your bags in that day. Don't wait until you're about to collapse, just stop at 4pm and take whatever you've got in to Goodwill or whatever. Same with the trash, get it to the dump, get it to the curb, whatever you need to do with it. If you're doing 30 minutes at a time, then put the bags in your car so that after 3 x 30 minute sessions, you get rid of them. And they'll already be in the car and not cluttering up your house.

This is a BIGGIE.  I'm really bad about decluttering a closet or a room and then adding it to my "donate pile".  Then the pile just gets bigger and bigger.  Next thing I know, my son is picking stuff out of it and taking it back to another part of the house. LOL  You will feel a ton better once it's out of your house for good.

#5 of 10 Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

I put my donations to the front door and I actually have a bad there now, I AM bringing it to the clothes box tomorrow...... inspire me ladies thumb.gif

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

#6 of 10 Old 12-18-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Got rid of 4 MORE bags of clothes!!!!!! 

Last night when I got home from work DP had CLEANED and ORGANIZED the laundry room!!!!!!  OMG I am soooo excitedenergy.gif

#7 of 10 Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

So I got 2 rooms hauled out........I wish I took before pictures, DP is gonna faint when he gets home...hehheheh.

#8 of 10 Old 12-18-2011, 10:40 AM

This is awesome, you go girl! Feels fabulous

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#9 of 10 Old 12-21-2011, 07:11 PM

Oh my gosh...doesn't it feel fabulous!!!  I did my dining room a few months ago and got rid of SO much stuff and I'm sitting it in now and it still looks pretty good!!  Keep up the good work!

#10 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 AM

how is it going?

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

Tags
Decluttering , Organizing , Simplifying

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page