support thread for serious decluttering/moving? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 364 Old 04-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Worthy- please keep posting, you keep me motivated.  

What helps me the most is - I live in apartment and we have dumpsters here. So when I get a bit manic I don't have a trash limit.  I can make 50 trash bags and not have an issue with that LOL.

I also found out that our library has 'pay your fee with donations to the food bank'  1 can/box equals 50c.  I have $10.20 so thats 21 items I need to box and take over on 4/7 to pay that bill. 

I'm also thinking about opening a Fed Ex account so they can come here and p/u the boxes instead of me having to go to them for drop off.  Granted its only 1/2 mile but every little bit will help.

This weekend DS unassembled most of his Lego's.  I have a plan in my mind for the books that are still on the shelves.  I think we are just selling the office supplies- garage sale is planned for next weekend then 2 weekends out.

I need to buy more boxes... oh dear.  My limit is 20 total and I'm NOT budging from that number.  We need to make it work.

As for the needed home repairs, I would just do what you can, and keep working after the listing.  I would NOT view it as failure but as success that your house is able to be listed.  Look how far you've come in the past year, look at all the work you've accomplished.  Look at the literal tons of things you've removed from the property!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#122 of 364 Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Wow, Penelope - 7 bags to donate - I am in awe!!

Zebra, I wish we had a dumpster!  I have to take things down the hill about 1/4 mile, but they do get picked up curbside.  Usually our family has about a bag every 2 weeks -- but some weeks I've had a huge pile of them, 12 or 20.  I wonder what the garbage guys must think.

Sk8boarder, good luck on your trip - hope it brings good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

As for the needed home repairs, I would just do what you can, and keep working after the listing.  I would NOT view it as failure but as success that your house is able to be listed.  Look how far you've come in the past year, look at all the work you've accomplished.  Look at the literal tons of things you've removed from the property!

Zebra, thank you so much for saying this.  I'm so focused on "the next thing I have to do" that I forget what I've done already.  This is already a changed house.  Though I think no buyer will realize (or probably care) how much work went into it, only people who saw it before I did the work.  I'm just trying to get it to decent condition, not fancy or spiffy.  It's still going to look like a tired old house that needs work.  shake.gif People who come here point out how "full of love" my house feels, so maybe that will rub off on some potential buyer?  Also, the view is To Die For.  But it is best at sunrise and moonrise when they aren't actually here! (Though I have this idea to put together a photo album...) 

I don't know what my anxiety is about; I guess I just hate transitions and I feel self-conscious when people peer into my house/life.  It would be a GOOD thing if our house didn't sell for a good long while.  I would LIKE to just be able to stay here and rest for a bit before moving.  I just feel like I have to make my best reasonable effort before listing the house.

I think the huge monstrous mountain of tasks is beginning to look like smaller little hills,easier to deal with.  What will I do with myself when this is all finished and ready?  I might have to take up a hobby or something.  ROTFLMAO.gif

Anyway, thanks for the reminder.  I need to periodically stop for a moment and appreciate how far I've come on this project.

This morning I dropped off a couple of tools at their new home.  Also picked up the last of the rubble from my friend's house, which means HER yard is decluttered (yay!) and MY pool cavity is that much closer to eventually being filled.

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10
#123 of 364 Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Aw a dumpser would be so nice. A while back we got a "bagster" to get rid of a huge chunk of the mess but as I clean I keep finding MORE. I have a whole load to donate I don't think I'll have time to drop off before the trip! 0.0 SO MUCH TO DO!  

Hoping DS will be ready for his nap soon so I can do laundry/pack for the trip then move on to more packing! 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#124 of 364 Old 04-02-2012, 01:39 PM

OMG  Where do these office/school supplies keep coming from.  I only homeschool one child.  Only 2 people live here.  It looks like an office supply store exploded in here.  Ok..ok..ok..  I just had a mini panic attack there...

I have ANOTHER laundry basket filled for the yard sale... This is totally overwhelming.  Slow progress  right??  LOL

DS has swim team tonight and I think I'm going to take that time to journal and then this evening I'm going to put the finishing rows on a set of leg warmers.

In traveling news I made reservations to tour the Denver Mint.... plans are coming along to we need to get out of here!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#125 of 364 Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 PM

Count me in. We are moving in June and I am determined to not move all the junk with us to our new home. I got rid of 100 things today. I'm hoping I can do 100 every day until I actually get to a point where we have only the essentials. This is a hard emotional journey for me because I've been stuck in what my husband lovingly calls my "Cancer shell" (horoscope) where I see possessions as a security blanket. So hard to clear them out. I see so many things as gifts that remind me of friends I no longer see, or objects of value that I should try to sell, or items lovingly passed down from family that have died...and so forth. But in reality it is just clutter I don't use, don't need, and don't really want. It is just dragging me down and holding me back. Time to for a clean slate. 2012 is a year of changes, and mine starts now. Out with the clutter! We move in June so I have a little less than two months to do this. Our home goes on the market in two weeks. I need to get it staged so it will sell. I just need to really embrace the charitable aspect and know that my clutter is someone else's treasure. It is easier to let things go when I know they are going to someone else rather than to a landfill.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#126 of 364 Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 AM

You guys are all doing so great!!! 

The charity truck came through town this morning, it took away 3 trash bags and one huge box from my front steps.  thumb.gif

My parents finally came up with a timeline for selling the house.  They think they will be listing it sometime in the January-April 2013 range.  So I guess I have 9 months to a year to get the house in sellable condition.  At this point it's almost as decluttered as it can be.  Next I need to start working on home repairs and when we're closer to the time I need to shampoo the carpets.  I just have to keep decluttering the kids' clothes as they outgrow them and I told my cousin who's going off to med school that I would give her some of my kitchen items to bring with her.  For the kids' birthdays and Christmas this year I will try to get them gifts that are either consumable or "experience" things like trips to a museum or the aquarium. 

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#127 of 364 Old 04-04-2012, 02:46 PM

I Fed-ex 2 boxes today.  $70 for shipping but I'm now up to 3 boxes on the way to my new destination.  Shipping is expensive but no where the cost of having movers for this cross country trip.  My limit is 20 boxes and nothing else except what fits in the car.

So far there was 1  box of books 1 box of yarn and 1 box of baby pictures.  I have 2 boxes of legos waiting to go and 1 box of books almost ready to go.  That will wrap up the legos and books (1 hope)

I've allotted one box for kitchen stuff (kitchen aid and a few gadgets). One box for games and puzzles one more for crafts.   Gosh maybe thats all we need  LOL.   Maybe the rest will fit in the car??

I've light a very large fire under DS to finish a number of 'school' related things this month.

OMG do we have the junk... i can not believe we moved in here a year ago with NOTHING...  were did all this 'stuff' come from??

#128 of 364 Old 04-07-2012, 01:56 PM

Keep posting about your progress, everyone -- and a hearty welcome to the new posters in this thread!

Today I cleaned our living/dining room carpet.  Bleaaaaghhhh.  We have beige carpet and it hasn't been cleaned in four months.  I get used to it and don't notice the grime, and then suddenly it is so dirty it seems hopeless and I think it will never get clean.  And then, presto, oxyclean to the rescue, LOL.  It takes at least two hours and it's a pain in the butt, and then it takes a couple of days to dry fully.  I guess I will have to do it more often with the house on the market, maybe every 2 months.  We'll see.

I got the kitchen floor scrubbed also.  Big difference.  Though there isn't much that can be done for 60s harvest gold linoleum.

My goal for today/tomorrow (aside from paid work and Easter) is to finish getting the books packed up and in the garage, and get the downstairs prepped for the kids to do their warm-weather try-ons there, so I can get that stuff out of the way and packed back up again as fast as possible, so I can paint that downstairs room.

My to-do list is getting smaller, but it is still huge.  Anyone else?  I wish I had more free time!  I wish all of us did -- time and energy...

#129 of 364 Old 04-07-2012, 08:25 PM

C&P from the other thread

YARD SALE TODAY!!

Made about $80, everything was basically a dollar!  I'm going to have another sale next week, I didn't get the furniture over there plus I'm not officially moving until the first week in May.  I also took 2 bags of clothes that I managed to 'shrink myself out of' to goodwill.  (yes loosing weight too)

So counting 150 items (tons of hotweels, notebooks, office supplies  etc) and adding $80- GO ME!

This is still VERY overwhelming because I came home to a filled apartment but I know progress is being made

WTG Worthy... as for the 'vintage' kitchen, maybe you can get a couple floor mats, or kitchen carpets to help soften the gold?

#130 of 364 Old 04-08-2012, 03:50 PM

So frustrated.... people who wanted to buy our house would only sign a contract on the condition they could move in a MONTH. We signed the contract and and started packing like crazy. Spent almost 2 grand to fly to portland right away to look at homes so we could sign a contract out there. While we were out there got an EMAIL (not even a call) that the buyers were backing out of the contract!!! GAHHHH!!! 

So glad we aren't so rushed, but we waisted a week and thousands of dollars.... Hope will be able to find a better house (we didn't really find anything we liked while we were out there) and move closer to our goal, July, instead of right away in May. 

#131 of 364 Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 PM

The house we made an offer on turns out to have major problems with the foundation as well as evidence of serious flooding. So we are backing out of that contract and are back at square one. Sigh. greensad.gif

My inlaws came over for Easter and we spent the day doing a lot of work around the house. More things packed and into storage. I think our house will be staged and ready to go in about another week. I'm working on cleaning the carpets and major junk sorting. The to do list is a mile long, but I guess it is slowly getting shorter and it has to end at some point. The ones that make me groan are the big ones - painting, carpet cleaning, etc. I also need to hire someone to wash all the exterior windows, someone to clean out all the vents, and we have a major landscaping project we need to complete. Sigh. So much to do. Once it is done, however, the house will be great. Hopefully we will find a buyer quickly and not have too much stress trying to keep it pristine for showings.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#132 of 364 Old 04-09-2012, 04:31 PM

I was able to send 2 more boxes to my new location today.  Fed Ex loves me joy.gif

I have 4-5 more boxes almost full and ready to send.

We are slowly eating down the pantry.  I've been sick since probably Friday but been in denial until Sunday morning.

There will be yet another yard sale this weekend and next weekend.  My potential leave date is May 3rd or 4th.  We need to be in Denver for a tour on May 7th and I would like to actually leave Denver after the tour, so I need to plan 'backward' a bit. I want to be at our destination by May 11th. (Interviews on May 15th sound good, huh??)

OMG there is so much stuff still here...

#133 of 364 Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM

Aw, sounds like everyone is having house trouble :( We got through the inspection OK, but then the radon inspection came back high irked.gif We ended up deciding to go with it and have the mitigation done, but now we just heard back about the appraisal, and it may be too close to the loan amount to get enough insurance for it? Or something? IDK. I have to get the actual appraisal and get it to our insurance people before we know for sure. I wish this was going more smoothly (for all of us)!

On the plus side, packing is going pretty well. I got the master closet cleared out pretty well (a HUGE job!) and a few other smaller things. I also got DD's closet pretty well cleaned out. I have a table in the corner of the master bedroom that I need to sort out everything in & around it, and am not looking forward to that. It's mostly stuff that just doesn't have a good home here (my workout bag, which I don't use much now that I'm pg, but theoretically will need again one day, hand weights, our road atlas, a didgeridoo, a bag full of cables for charging/connecting our electronic gear). Some (most?) of it should definitely go, but I'm not looking forward to figuring out what! That's also where we're keeping the pile of papers we're going to have shredded. I'd like to get it down to just the table & the papers, and have everything else ether gone or packed by tomorrow. Better get to work!

#134 of 364 Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 PM

The next box of books is filled and taped up. I also have a box of 'professional' clothes ready to send off.  No need keeping them here or moving them by car.  I have enough room in that box to add some of DS clothes.

Hopefully I can ship some of this tomorrow.

I still have a couple boxes that are 'almost' full and need to be finished/

Tonight for dinner we finished a bottle of OJ.  Lots of hangers went to the trash too (im not moving those)

#135 of 364 Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 PM

The box of 'professional' clothes is filled and taped. Added some of DS 'winter' type clothes as well.

Finished off a bottle of honey mustard for supper.  Bottle of shampoo was emptied today as well.

Taking a couple baskets of stuff over to the yard sale house tonight.

Trying not to get overwhelmed.

Tomorrow is booked up. We have 'disney on ice' in the AM, Stopping one last time at the science center in the afternoon then after dinner more packing and moving to the yard sale.

#136 of 364 Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM

We are slowly managing to eat our way through the pantry, larder, and chest freezer. It doesn't help that I'm big on "putting up" food so we have jars and jars of things to eat plus a freezer full of tasty things meant to last a year but trying to eat through them in two weeks. We packed most of our clothing, then I discovered I could badly button the pants I kept out. Should have saved my fat jeans. Why didn't it occur to me that making it my mission to eat everything in the house would correspond with weight gain. And I eat more when stressed. Arg!

Sigh. In any case we are slowly, slowly, slowly making progress.

We talked to some realtors and realized that paying their fee ( 3%) would put us underwater and mean we had to bring substansial cash to the table. So now we are looking to do if For Sale By Owner. As if my plate wasn't full enough already. Man, I need a vacation!

#137 of 364 Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM

LunarLady- I had a very VERY well stocked pantry (or so I thought)  It's taken us about 2 months to eat it darn near clean.  I'm loosing weight from the stress, I have fat pants to send LOL!

Tonight I had to back to my old roommates house, YES, we still have things over there (oh dear) and that is where the yard sales are being held. So it seems I am for ever shuffling things back and forth.  But progress is being made.  I am being VERY critical when packing clothes.  If there is a hint of dislike in ANYTHING that item is NOT being packed - this includes socks and underwear.  I am determined to start over with ONLY the things I love.

I almost freaked out when I found MORE office supplies today and AN ENTIRE BOX OF BOOKS.  But I coped well, the office supplies went to the yard sale and the books are going to the resale shoppe next week.

I do need to make a small grocery run Saturday afternoon. We need produce, dairy and meat.  My birthday is Sunday and DAMNIT I want CAKE, ooie-gooey cake from the bakey.  And at *my age* I can have whatever I darn well please.  LOL. So mommy is having CAKE. (and then I will be sick for days)

Sorry to be a total thread hog.  I need to see my progress in print.

thanks

Worthy- I hope you are ok.!!

#138 of 364 Old 04-13-2012, 04:39 AM

Thanks, Zebra, I'm fine, just soooooooper busy right now.  I got your message and want to give you a fully attentive response!  blowkiss.gif It has been a very very busy week and my brain is all over the place.

Let's see.  I got some stuff done.  LOL.  Kids and I are in the middle of "spring try-ons" so I can declutter and put away the hand-me-down bins.  I found another bin in my shed that I was able to empty.  I used to go on this special historical re-enactment vacation week with XH and the kids, and it's really hitting me that I'm not going this year or possibly ever again.  He is taking the kids this year (wah) and while I will keep costumes for them to take, I am not responsible for the logistics at all, and that includes all kinds of things I used to use to organize the tent, food prep, etc.

I am almost done decluttering and organizing my books.  I just set up a book swap with our homeschool group (in which I leave books and do not take more, or so it goes) and then EVERYTHING, all the books left, are going to my church for the upcoming book sale.  Good timing.

I have a bunch of recycling and donateables for the swap shop at the dump, to be taken tomorrow.

I got my carpet cleaned last weekend, huge ucky job, and then my cat promptly puked on it and my kid spilled thawed frozen blueberrie, so now I have to clean it again.

I am frustrated by lack of time, energy, motivation, but I try to keep plugging forward.

I got some gardening done this week (weeding and planting is a kind of decluttering!)

I need a good nap.  I'm fine, though, and sorry to worry you Zebra.  I really appreciate that you reached out -- thank you.  I will get back to you when I can do it right.

#139 of 364 Old 04-13-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post

The house we made an offer on turns out to have major problems with the foundation as well as evidence of serious flooding. So we are backing out of that contract and are back at square one. Sigh. greensad.gif
My inlaws came over for Easter and we spent the day doing a lot of work around the house. More things packed and into storage. I think our house will be staged and ready to go in about another week. I'm working on cleaning the carpets and major junk sorting. The to do list is a mile long, but I guess it is slowly getting shorter and it has to end at some point. The ones that make me groan are the big ones - painting, carpet cleaning, etc. I also need to hire someone to wash all the exterior windows, someone to clean out all the vents, and we have a major landscaping project we need to complete. Sigh. So much to do. Once it is done, however, the house will be great. Hopefully we will find a buyer quickly and not have too much stress trying to keep it pristine for showings.

So sorry! Wish the people who bailed on us had a good reason like that! Nope! just didn't like the location (not sure why they made an offer in the first place then)! 

I'm actually really glad now that life has slowed back down. Showings are a major PITA, already had one since going back on the market again.... but I have time to work out and just be a good mom again. Hoping we will have time for a garage sale at the end of this month, would be nice before we go on vacation. 

We are actually taking this extra time to work on our credit score so we can hopefully get a better loan. I've really sucked at staying on top of bills since my son was born and it hurt me a bit. 

#140 of 364 Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 PM

Can I join in on this? We are prepping our place to sell, then looking for a rental to get used to a new neighborhood in our city before we buy again. So far, so good! Met the realtor, got info on what should be done to get it in sell-able shape. DH is at the store buying paint to repaint the bathroom tomorrow. I have a menu plan for easy and easy-to-clean-up food so we can get out of the way for open houses, etc. easily and so we can focus on the work to be done as well. Hoping to pack boxes of out-of-season clothes for me, sort out kids clothes that are too small, and homeschool paperwork into three categories too--using/keep in house; need for future/pack for next house; toss/sell. Wish me luck! :)

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#141 of 364 Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 PM

Hi LitMom! Welcome!

I hauled all my bags to Goodwill, finally. When I put them in the trunk, they filled the entire thing! Now I have room so I can fill more bags.

#142 of 364 Old 04-15-2012, 05:53 AM

We may have found a new home. My only worry is the bedrooms are a bit small. But the closets
are good sized, so I'm sure there is room for the clothing. But I can just see us getting there and having everything not fit. But we can't stop thinking about the home, so I think it may be the one. I've been wanting to downsize for awhile, and this may be perfect.

Of course another weekend away in our new town house hunting also means nothing happened on the home front. I caved and hired a cleaning service. I'm doing it with my credit card, which I hate, but my DH will get a payout from his work when he leaves for vacation he didn't take, so we can pay it off then. In the meantime I'm hoping that having someone in to clean the house will lower my stress level.

#143 of 364 Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 AM

Ooh, me too!

Sk8teboarder- We are also moving cross-country from IL to the PNW! Chicago to Seattle.

The plan is that the moving company comes May 26, we decided to rent containers from Door to Door so that they can store them for us for a month or two until we find a place. Crossing our fingers that we get some friends to help load the truck, since the permit to have the containers there is only valid for 2 hours. I can't help too much with lifting since I'm pregnant. DP will be leaving that weekend to drive out and start work immediately. I will be sticking around here and stepdd and I will be staying with a friend, DD with her dad. We decided to take a small vacation before the move- We leave via Amtrak July 7, go to DC for a few days, then Amtrak up to PA where we will stay with friends and visit other friends and relatives for a week, before getting back on Amtrak and taking the train on a 3 day trek out to Seattle to join up with DP. Handily, our train has a layover in Chicago, so we will be stopping here to get a TON of luggage to check if we need to- we can have up to 9 50 pound bags checked between the three of us, plus 6 more 50 pound carryons if we wanted.

We have been decluttering like mad! Most of our furniture is being sold, and I have a bunch of ads up on craigslist, plus lots that is already gone. So many trunk-fulls to the thrift store already, and have a giant pile that needs to go out today once I decide to get out of my pjs.

This weekend we have:

Organized the back 'bedroom' (not really big enough to be a bedroom) that we are using as a staging area.

Gone through camping stuff and packed air mattresses/sleeping bags into a suitcase in case we end up getting a temporary sublet while we look for housing

Packed up the wooden blocks- one of my bulkiest indulgences that I'm keeping, left from when I ran a daycare for 5 years

Gone through all our decorative stuff- made a giant pile on the dining room table so we could see it all as we decided what to keep and what not to

Went through all hardware stuff. Got it down to one toolbox plus drill, dremel, and a bag with extension cords

Sold DP's dresser

Sorted through keepsake boxes and pared down to fit into one tub, not including the box of old art projects of stepdd that DP needs to go through still.

Lots of other miscellaneous purging.

So, next up today:

Load car

Take load to goodwill

Take box to used bookstore

Return house to a useable state, since right now it is completely torn apart and I keep losing things I just had a few minutes ago (preggo brain isn't helping with that)

Do some schoolwork (I graduate May 5!)

Plan out some menus and hit the grocery store- we had been eating really healthy, and between my morning sickness and DP being busy with a freelance projects, we've eaten out or eaten junk for the last month pretty much.

Pack up my craft stuff maybe

Take pics of last furniture to put on craigslist and post

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#144 of 364 Old 04-15-2012, 10:34 AM

So, despite DD getting sick last night (but then she seems fine today and is eating again... so odd!) I've managed to get a fair amount done already. Friday night we were at a museum overnight trip, so I guess I'm at least glad she was sick Saturday night instead of Friday! Hoping that it's something she ate and not contagious. If everyone gets sick in turn, it'll slow us down a lot. 

Got DDs clothes sorted and know what few items she needs to be set for spring/summer clothes. About halfway though DSs clothes. And about halfway through my own as well. 2 big trash bags of outgrown clothes, 1 kid and 1 adult, ready to donate or send to friends. 

Meal plan set and groceries bought. DH is re-painting the bathroom and patching holes today. 

What I haven't gotten to at all is the homeschool paperwork. If I get the clothes in order today, I think I may just push paperwork off a day. 

Both have to get done before Tuesday because we have my dad coming with his truck to help us move the dresser, homeschool cabinet, and a toy shelf; along with all the stuff from those; into a storage unit so the place will show better. The furniture is the key issue though, because we can move boxes of extraneous toys and books ourselves, whereas the furniture needs the big vehicle.

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#145 of 364 Old 04-15-2012, 02:08 PM

Had the yardsale Saturday, made about $80 so gonna say sold 80 things. - still went with my concept of everything was a buck.

Took a bag to goodwill.  Send 2 boxes via fed ex, still have boxes in the living room to send and more to pack.  (I have a mental picture of what is left to pack and what is left to sell/donate/trash)

We are eating from the pantry/freezer.  Only buying minimal things for the next 3 weeks.  I need to find some subbing jobs because $$ is running out.

Spoke to my mother today and realized just how racist she is, this is total motivation to get a job as soon as I can, because I don't know how long I can tolerate her.

My apartment looks like a tornado hit.

I need to plan our drive(vacation) from 'here' to 'there'.  And I probably should determine how big my trunk really is, so I know what I can fit in there.

Ds has 2 more requests of things to do 'here' before we leave and I'm trying my best to schedule them into an already packed calendar.

I am beyond stressed, stressed for time, stressed for money, stressed for a job.  OMG, what have I gotten myself into??

There is another yard sale next week.  I want to start this one at 6am and just keep it going until everything is gone!

OMG there are 2 1/2 weeks until we leave.  I am in total panic mode right now.  OMG OMG OMG OMG

I NEED TO MEAL PLAN, I NEED TO PACK PLAN,  I NEED A LIFE PLAN...

#146 of 364 Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

I am beyond stressed, stressed for time, stressed for money, stressed for a job.  OMG, what have I gotten myself into??

OMG there are 2 1/2 weeks until we leave.  I am in total panic mode right now.  OMG OMG OMG OMG

I NEED TO MEAL PLAN, I NEED TO PACK PLAN,  I NEED A LIFE PLAN...

Go easy on yourself, my dear.  What you've gotten yourself into is a plan that will make your life better; you just need to ride the wave until you reach the shore.  Do whatever you need to do to manage your anxiety and stress, knowing that it's short-term and immediately necessary.  If it's possible to step outside of yourself and pretend you are someone else lovingly packing for someone else's adventure of a lifetime, do it!!  Sometimes it helps me to dissociate from my anxiety if I step outside of myself for short periods and "pretend."

First, make a meal plan (get that out of the way) and follow it.  Then, pack.  The life plan will make itself after you move.  Don't even think about that plan yet - just get from point A (here) to point B (where you are going) and give yourself a week to recover, then think about the life plan.

You can do this.

#147 of 364 Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 AM

I'm on a slower schedule than some of you, and you all have my sympathy and thoughts (and excitement)! 

I scrapped the idea of getting the house on the market "early."  XH and I agreed on June 1st, and that's what it will be.  My neighbor two houses up is dying to see the house in case he might want to buy it (long shot, I think, but it's a lovely fantasy).  He wanted to come look last weekend, and I said no!!  I told him he had to wait until I was satisfied that it was ready to show.  I also told him he could see it first before I list it, and if he wants it we can negotiate without a realtor.  My fantasy is that he would buy it and let me stay on as a tenant at my current mortgage rate until we are ready to leave.

I'm doing things bit by bit.  Had a slump last week, but I do something every day.  The mountain in the garage is getting smaller.  The books are essentially decluttered and packed up.  The spring/summer clothes have been tried on and the remains packed away and back in the shed. 

The mold remediation guys are coming on Friday -- kids and I will be gone for the weekend -- and taking care of the mold in the attic.  The weatherization guys, who caused the problem, are covering the bill.  Hallelujah!

The septic system is limping along and not causing trouble as long as we are careful in our use of it.  No big deal to us, and at least I won't have to tell buyers it has failed, only that it is in need of attention.

The spring is here and pretty stuff is growing in my yard.  Someone from Time Trade is coming today/tomorrow to weed my flower and herb beds.  That is awesome.  My dad is bringing a rototiller in a few weeks so I can get my veggie garden in easily.  Once it's in, it will grow itself and look great.

I took a huge load of stuff to the dump (recycling, swap shop, dry compost, etc) on Saturday.  Things are moving out of my house, and hardly anything moving in to replace it, so eventually it all has to be decluttered, right??

I am enjoying the feel of a less-cluttered, tidier house!  And entertaining dreams of moving...

#148 of 364 Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 AM

LitMom can you share some of your easy cleanup meals?? Such a great idea! 

DTmama, what is brining you to the PNW? For us its mostly the weather and sceary! We are so sick of BLIZZARDS. Though we keep joking this last mild winder was trying to trick us into staying! :) 

We are going to have a yard sale in two weeks. We already had a "Free for all" with our first found of decluttering, round 2 is worth a lot more money though so I'd like to recoup pretty much anything we can.... even $80 would be nice. 

#149 of 364 Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 PM

Today I gave two trash bags of clothes/shoes to my sister and one big bag to my friend.  I also took all of the photo boxes off the top of my desk and packed them semi-permanently in tubs.  I know, it's not great to just put them in tubs, but the reality is, I don't have time for them right now, and they need to be tidy and packed away when we list the house.  Eventually I'll have the "leisure" to "just" go through my photos.  Maybe after the house has been on the market awhile and there are NO house projects left to do.  (Silver lining?)

I sent a sewing machine home with my sister (one less thing to store).  I also got help through the Time Trade from a woman who weeded my herb gardens yesterday and today.  Awesome to have her help!!  She game me some ideas for easily found perennials to fill up the bare spaces in my gardens.  The weeding was a great kind of decluttering.  Now I need some (free) mulch to make the gardens look tidier.

I realized I can move some stuff back where it goes in the downstairs playroom (stuff got moved around while I went through boxes and bins).  Little by little by little, it's getting done.

I am proud to report that the normal state of my bedroom is now TIDY.  Yay!  Also my living/dining room are super easy to clean up and the kids are doing a great job of keeping them tidy, too.  The kitchen goes up and down depending on the number of dirty dishes, but I'm trying to get in the habit of doing them more frequently and keeping the kitchen clean as a habit.

The bathrooms are uncluttered (the key is having almost no stuff in them...extra towels, toilet paper, a basket of bathtub toys, soap/shampoo, that's it.  We do have a basket of odds and ends in the closet but there really isn't much stuff in either bathroom.)  My bathroom decluttering secret is to not use beauty products, LOL.  Just plain Dr. Bronners bar soap, a foaming pump of hand soap (also Dr. Bs), and one kind of shampoo for the family.  A cup for toothbrushes and one kind of toothpaste.  Minimal products = minimal clutter.

#150 of 364 Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I wanted to stop lurking and post a big AWESOME work for everyone on here!

Our house is going on the market today!?!?! EEEK! And I've been following this thread for the last few weeks! We had a very cluttered house after Christmas and my husband went away for work by 1300Kms and so he hasn't been any help. We've decided to move to be with him and so I had 3 weeks to completely declutter, start packing, paint and get in contractors to finish the renos in the house...

We finished the Kitchen reno that we started 3 years ago, put in new carpet, painted most of the house, recaulked the bathtub, installed new blinds in a couple rooms, redid some electrical, cleaned up the back gardens/yard, redid the front garden completely and did a HUGE declutter and packed a bunch of stuff.

In the course of doing almost all by myself (I had some help from my parents last weekend and one of my amazing best friends has been coming out every week to help me do the most needed room of the week...) I got rid of over 50 boxes of donate (I'd say it's closer to 65-70) stuff, my two garbage cans have been overflowing each week and a trailer load of dump stuff a few weeks ago and then another two trailer loads of dump stuff this weekend. I have a few little things left to do today and then I'll continue touching up the paint on moulding here and there. And the regular cleaning but it's been a LONG few weeks and my poor kids are begging for mommy's attention.

But my Realtor came through before and was worried about me getting it all done... She came through again a couple days ago and decided to up the price! And she still hasn't see all the rooms completely "staged"... I hate it though. It feels so empty and unpersonable. But that's the goal right. 

So anyways I'm cheering you guys on! Doing it with help is hard and doing it by yourself is a mountain but you guys can do it and I look forward to your updates!

What helped me was checklists that I would write every morning and they would be super detailed. So that every little thing I did I felt accomplished when I checked it off of the list! And I made sure to write in "relax" or I'd even write in one or two of my favorite TV shows specifically so that it was on the list and I felt like I accomplished something even if it was frivolous! 

I can't wait to check back and hear your guys' process! I come by every few days and I'm amazed by some of the stuff you guys are doing! 

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  

Tags
Decluttering , Organizing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page