Mothering Forum banner

2012 in 2012

30K views 1K replies 88 participants last post by  MrsMike 
#1 ·
As I sit here lining out all the various projects and challenges I am planning for the next year I decided to go ahead and start the new thread for this next year for those who are gung ho for a major decluttering challenge. I realize it's a few days early, but now I can have a link to refer back to from my main projects/challenges list!!

So, here we go!! I had to give up on this year's challenge cause of all kinds of stuff, but I totally am planning on making the 2012 goal. I've already got some stuff that needs to go to various places sitting in my garage that will be the start of my 2012 items!!

#252 ·
We canceled dish network this month, so the receiver has been packed up and returned and we are saving $70 a month!

gross shower brush

loofah

changing pad

plastic container

51/2012

I see so many big totals so far and I'm feeling behind. I think I'll try to tackle the office area after DS and I get back from gymnastics this morning.

#253 ·
Is it okay if I join? I am new to the mothering community but one of my new year's goals was to declutter and organize my life. We are moving in three months and all of our things will be in storage (Dh is in the Army and has to go to a school for 3 months in April so all of our things will be in storage for 3 months while I go to stay with family) and then we will be moving again to either Hawaii or Maryland in August or September. I don't want to take a bunch of stuff with us that we don't need or want. Does anyone else get the itch to purge whenever they watch the show Hoarders? I do, so I have been watching it all week and going through my house room by room to declutter and purge everything.

Today's plan is to finish going through Dd's closet and then start on my closet.

Reactions: swede
#254 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by addiluvmommy View Post

Is it okay if I join? I am new to the mothering community but one of my new year's goals was to declutter and organize my life. We are moving in three months and all of our things will be in storage (Dh is in the Army and has to go to a school for 3 months in April so all of our things will be in storage for 3 months while I go to stay with family) and then we will be moving again to either Hawaii or Maryland in August or September. I don't want to take a bunch of stuff with us that we don't need or want. Does anyone else get the itch to purge whenever they watch the show Hoarders? I do, so I have been watching it all week and going through my house room by room to declutter and purge everything.

Today's plan is to finish going through Dd's closet and then start on my closet.
Of course! It's open to everyone. Welcome. Hoarders also makes me really want to purge my house every time I watch it.

#255 ·
Thank you MrsMike/Funky Little Earthchild for helping me discover this thread! I committed to getting rid of 2012 items in 2012 before I read your blog today, but you helped me find the needed support. I'm a little slow at this, but I've gotten rid of 54 items so far. My goal is to be rid of 200 items per month, which either gets me finished early, or gives me a little wiggle room.
orngbiggrin.gif

Lovely to find you ladies!

#258 ·
So far from my daughters closet-

12 pants

1 pair of shorts

18 shirts

1 dress

All for 34.00

So 32/2012

And I have posted on our bases freecycle/craigslist type facebook page the following-

10 bottoms

3 dresses

1 blackberry cell phone

5 jars of baby food

I am hoping to sell them but if they do not sell in the next couple of weeks I will donate them all to goodwill so that will bring my total to 51/2012 and I still need to go through her shoes and both of our closets by the end of today-or at least that's my goal.

#260 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGranolaMom View Post

I see so many big totals so far and I'm feeling behind. I think I'll try to tackle the office area after DS and I get back from gymnastics this morning.
Don't feel bad! I tend to go in spurts. So like, I'll spend one day going crazy and then I'll go a week or more without touching anything. Lately I've seen things I need to declutter, but don't want to come log them so I just leave them sitting around until I'm ready for another marathon.
ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

It's just one thing, but I'm afraid if I don't log it I'll forget it.
Our houses got the way they were one thing at a time... we can reclaim them one thing at a time, too. ;)

#261 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeterna View Post

Quote:

Don't feel bad! I tend to go in spurts. So like, I'll spend one day going crazy and then I'll go a week or more without touching anything. Lately I've seen things I need to declutter, but don't want to come log them so I just leave them sitting around until I'm ready for another marathon.
ROTFLMAO.gif
Ok, I feel a little better.
lol.gif

From the office...

5 window locks from our old windows

2 magazines

9 catalogs

another bag of papers recycled/shredded (if you can't tell, paper is my clutter nemesis)

72/2012

$12.51

#262 ·
Recipes from recipe binder x5

Disliked item of baby clothes x2

Beyond grungy grungy toothbrush

234/2012

I wanted to get to 20 items today, but I didn't make it. I got a lot of other stuff done though--inventoried all my daughter's clothes, wrote a blog post, and learned how to use the pasta machine (that took way longer to get prepped than I thought it would, which chewed up a lot more time than I was prepared for).

#263 ·
erigeron - sounds like a very productive day! I'd love to learn how to make my own pasta.

Today I worked on my kitchen cupboards. I organized the tupperware so things stopped falling out every time we opened the door. I found 3 pieces I don't really use. I had streamlined my plastics last spring in a "nesting-spree" so there wasn't much in there that isn't in regular rotation.

I was able to whittle out my baking/cooking supplies cupboard.

I took out

5 spoons,

3 liquid measuring cups (& I still have 4!)

2 sets of measuring cups

10 bottles of really old (25 years+) food colouring & flavouring (from my DH's aunt and I thought they would be cool decorations)

1 mandolin/grater-in-a-box kit

1 cookie press

1 shot glass

1 garlic press

1 cheese grater

7 assorted beaters to 2 hand mixers I no longer own

2 silicone tops to use with bags

2 silicone egg poachers that I had to have but then discovered silicone is a pain to get eggs out of and my DH doesn't like poached eggs

8 plastic bags

3 citrus peelers from Tupperware

so that's 47 items today...

I appreciate this thread. It's helping me stay motivated and accountable.

519/2012 with $175 / $450

#265 ·
I am going to join in. I, Carla, need to declutter my life to make room for the things that really matter and keep my DH happier and my pocket book fuller. TTC has made me a hoarder of things - I might use with a baby. Still no baby and is the stuff I have really "necessary". Also my decluttering also has a side goal of making some extra cash to fund my emergency fund. Tonight I am going to post some items for sale on craigslist/ebay. I keep saying I am going to do it but don't.

Here is 2012 in 2012!

#266 ·
Went through my daughters closet and got rid of:

1 shirt

1 pair of pants

1 jacket

1 winter coat

1 pair of mittens

Then 'started' to go through my closet and so far have gotten rid of:

1 jacket

4 sweaters

3 shirts

1 dress

1 skirt

1 Halloween costume (dress, stockings, tutu, and headband so 4 items)

so that brings my total to 70/2012

#268 ·
Quote:
The biggest reason my total jumped so big was b/c DH had to clear out a lot of stuff in our office so he could use the space for school this semester. I had no hand in it at all last weekend, and he threw out a lot of accumulating junk b/c he has a different eye than I do. Things he throws out I may have deemed "keepable", but I'm not going to worry about it now.

#272 ·
Okay, I'm joining this group of inspiring people and get started again on my decluttering and organizing the house. Here is what I started with:

3 rolls of ribbon (Goodwill)

1 box of small candles (Goodwill)

1 bag of misc small toy items (Goodwill)

6 suet cakes go to my MIL, since our feeder was destroyed by the racoons and squirels

1 pair of shoes of DD to be consigned

3 books to be donated

5 books to be consigned (will be donated if they don't sell)

5 gourds composted

4 items from pantry we don't like (local food shelf)

4 items from pantry that were expired (garbage)

2 3 ring binders (Goodwill)

4 baby spoons

39 not too bad a start

39/2012

#274 ·
Quote:

Must admit I never look at other people's totals, I don't really care about the numbers others have. Maybe I am weird? lol.....

I know I will just plod away at my own pace, and that is all that matters to me.

But I do like to read what others have thrown out, as it often helps to give me ideas for what I can get rid of.

#275 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post
I know I will just plod away at my own pace, and that is all that matters to me.

But I do like to read what others have thrown out, as it often helps to give me ideas for what I can get rid of.
This for me, too. Sometimes I get stuck and need some inspiration to look at things in a different light and through different eyes. It makes me look at things a little more critically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.