2012 in 2012 - Page 33 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#961 of 1026 Old 10-30-2012, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Good going, LoveOurBabies! Yeah, the "400 things and it'll be really bare" thing is kind of a trick... 400 things is less than we think it is!

Up to 1654 in the aftermath of the move, having conservatively estimated we got rid of 125 items in the move. I think I will make it to 2012! But I can't slack off now. 

Thanks so much! love.gif

Yes, the 400 didn't really seem to make a dent, but I do think 400 items from now definitely will. We're getting close to bare bones for most items EXCEPT clothing. Clothes are a whole 'nother issue at our place. dizzy.gif

Me: DH:

Our babies: Our researcher Our comedian Our boundless energy Our streaker Our cuddly bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#962 of 1026 Old 10-30-2012, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

Went through the "junk closet".  It doesn't have actually that much junk in it I learned, but just stuff that doesn't have a better home like light bulbs, batteries, cleaning supplies etc.  Also, sold 1 of the toys I pulled earlier in the week for $5.

2 packages of daipers - to donate

1 hot water bottle 

1 broken mop

1 small box of misc. garbage

I'm thinking of going back through the bathrooms again, but more ruthlessly this time...

New Total:

1975/2012

$2164.95

Sold 1 book and 2 more toys for another $40.

I finished DSs Halloween costume last night so I should now have some time to re-tackle the bathroom.  Have you all heard of the 100 Thing Challenge?  http://guynameddave.com/100-thing-challenge/  I don't think I could quite get there but the more stuff I get rid of the more I want to get rid of even more!  I seriously just feel overwhelmed by stuff even though I've almost completed this challenge and even though I never considred myself a hoarder/acquiror type.  I really want to find some mental peace by just purging even more!  This story on CBC is about a family that is completing the challenge:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/10/16/f-100-thing-challenge-consumer-debt.html

New Total:

1975/2012

$2204.95

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#963 of 1026 Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 PM

Another 6 items going!

Blanket

3 x Cookie tins

2 x Toys

1029/2012

Edited at 9pm: Another 22 items have left. Some unfortunately to the rubbish (I hate throwing things away to the landfill, even if they're unusable) and others for donation.

1051/2012

Tomorrow there shall be no decluttering. I am going to IKEA to purchase some storage containers for the kids toys, because I've now reached the 'organize' phase for that department. We've decluttered toys to a level that we're all comfortable with and now it's time to give them a home - Yay!

Our babies: Our researcher Our comedian Our boundless energy Our streaker Our cuddly bear
#964 of 1026 Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:

I finished DSs Halloween costume last night so I should now have some time to re-tackle the bathroom.  Have you all heard of the 100 Thing Challenge?  http://guynameddave.com/100-thing-challenge/  I don't think I could quite get there but the more stuff I get rid of the more I want to get rid of even more!  I seriously just feel overwhelmed by stuff even though I've almost completed this challenge and even though I never considred myself a hoarder/acquiror type.  I really want to find some mental peace by just purging even more!  This story on CBC is about a family that is completing the challenge:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/10/16/f-100-thing-challenge-consumer-debt.html

New Total:

1975/2012

$2204.95

I've heard of the 100 thing challenge. I don't think it's feasible for a family, even if you did 100 items per person - A collection of Lego alone would blow it all out of proportion! So would a decent collection of children's books. I think it's fun to fantasize, but for us at least, it's not going to be a reality.

I know what you mean when you say you feel overwhelmed by stuff and the more you get rid of, the more you want to get rid of! I'm not a collector of stuff either, but we did have our fair share. I'd say we were 'average' in this department.

One morning this year, I woke up and decided that stuff just bothered me. I'd had enough. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I felt disturbed and the light switch in my mind had finally flicked on. I felt sick thinking about everything that was just 'sitting here' unused. I felt sick knowing that if we ever decided to move overseas, it would be weeks before we could get our sh*t together. I wondered for days on end about what were we keeping it all for? I think I even wrote something about it on MDC! :)

As surprised as I was by my sudden epiphany, I was also a little nervous. I wanted change but wasn't sure how to get it. So I decided to go bare bones on almost everything (with a couple of exceptions, like books and clothes saved between kids). I decided that if I wouldn't re-buy it after some unfortunate disaster god forbid (like a fire or flood), then it wasn't worth keeping around. The transformation has been amazing.. I can look at objects and decide instantly if it's a keeper or not. I can't wait until our small house is finished, so that I can put up pics and show that a family of 6 can live in 750 sq feet comfortably. :)

I'm excited for you.. Because just before I had my big change, I too was asking the same questions and venting the same frustration. I think change is a comin', so hold on tight mama!!

#965 of 1026 Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

I've heard of the 100 thing challenge. I don't think it's feasible for a family, even if you did 100 items per person - A collection of Lego alone would blow it all out of proportion! So would a decent collection of children's books. I think it's fun to fantasize, but for us at least, it's not going to be a reality.

I know what you mean when you say you feel overwhelmed by stuff and the more you get rid of, the more you want to get rid of! I'm not a collector of stuff either, but we did have our fair share. I'd say we were 'average' in this department.

One morning this year, I woke up and decided that stuff just bothered me. I'd had enough. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I felt disturbed and the light switch in my mind had finally flicked on. I felt sick thinking about everything that was just 'sitting here' unused. I felt sick knowing that if we ever decided to move overseas, it would be weeks before we could get our sh*t together. I wondered for days on end about what were we keeping it all for? I think I even wrote something about it on MDC! :)

As surprised as I was by my sudden epiphany, I was also a little nervous. I wanted change but wasn't sure how to get it. So I decided to go bare bones on almost everything (with a couple of exceptions, like books and clothes saved between kids). I decided that if I wouldn't re-buy it after some unfortunate disaster god forbid (like a fire or flood), then it wasn't worth keeping around. The transformation has been amazing.. I can look at objects and decide instantly if it's a keeper or not. I can't wait until our small house is finished, so that I can put up pics and show that a family of 6 can live in 750 sq feet comfortably. :)

I'm excited for you.. Because just before I had my big change, I too was asking the same questions and venting the same frustration. I think change is a comin', so hold on tight mama!!

Thanks so much for your response!  It is so encouraging to me!! love.gif

I would say we were "average" as well, and that I'm not a "keeper" of things.  I am not usually attached to items.  My struggle is more a "but this could be useful, I might need it later" thing.  DH and I both come from families with parents who are major "keepers", and my mom in particular is a "I show affection through things" person, so I am working on moving past that too.  I want to replace "stuff" with more meaningful activities and interactions, it's just to learn to be in the habit and how to encourage those things.  Stuff does not add value to my life or make me happier, so what is this hang-up with it??  DH is half on board.  I am hoping he'll come around and be fully on board with some time and conversations.

I am looking forward to my own big transformation, I hope it's coming!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#966 of 1026 Old 11-02-2012, 05:51 PM

to donation and recycling:

1 pile of papers

5 empty lego boxes ds was insistant on keeping.... crossing fingers they stay in the recycling this time.

1 plastic hangar

1 bag of paper for recycling

1 pile of documents to be shredded

1 old calendar

1 lame kids game

1 dried up ink pad

1 lotion bottle

6 extra post-partum disposable pads (yeah, my kid is 5... ugh)

1 gym bag with broken straps

1 pair of valentine socks

1 broken hair claw

1 super tattered pair of jeans

1 bouquet of dried flowers

1 more dog chewed tupperware >:(

1 craft from ds's school

1 sickly balloon

12 dried up pens/markers

1 expired bottle of sunscreen

1 adorable skirt that no longer fits me :(

1 dell mousepad

1 tin of altoids expired in 06 8-O

1 ugly wedding photo album

1 bag of trash

1 huge pile of stuff given to its rightful owner

=46 more things (or stacks of things!) today

=1144

adding more today:

2 "for the cause" type ribbons

1 christmas bow

8 necklaces

11 sets of earrings

2 bracelets

1 ring

1 hair band

1 pair of socks

1 malfunctioning shaving cream bottle i was keeping in hopes i could get it work...

1 broken hair claw

9 pairs of shoes

4 packets of hot sauce

1 pair broken sunglasses

2 box lids

5 pairs of toe-nylons

5 bras

1 pair underwear

1 pair pjs

1 notebook cover

1 old pack of gum

=59 more +1144 = 1203

couple stragglers from the weekend:

3 dead pens

Katie, mommy to Oliver (2007) and brand new Ava Estelle (2014)! 
Decluttering Challenge:  303/2014 items are gone!
$728 made from selling my "stuff"
(I've gotten rid of 3711 items over the last four years on this forum! Last years selling total: $456)
#967 of 1026 Old 11-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So I just started last week, but I'm doing a major purge of our home so I should have no trouble reaching 2012 by year's end.

On Thursday, I bagged 41 items of clothing to donate. So that left 1971 items to go.

Today, so far, in a purge of the playroom, I've eliminated 207 items, including books, toys to donate and trash ( mostly broken toys, filled coloring books, storage boxes). So that leaves 1754 items. I'm feeling lighter already. And the best part, is that I'm putting items to donate directly into my van so there's no way the kids will retrieve anything.

Love this challenge, thanks for posting it!
#968 of 1026 Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:

New Total:

1975/2012

$2204.95

So, this weekend I got pretty ruthless in the purging department.  I didn't do many "spaces" but what I did do, I did thoroughly.  I've been stingy with the numbers, just counting "items" and no empty boxes, garbage, or small misc. pieces etc.

From the two bathrooms - 45 items (the bathrooms are now officially down to the stuff we use daily, plus a couple items for guests (we are 'poo free, but know guests aren't for example)

From the family room - 35 items (mostly to donate) including a couple vases, some toys, etc.)

From two cupboard in the kitchen - 16 items (coffee mugs, pie plates, etc.) to donate plus 6 cookbooks that I never use (all to donate)

From the tupperware drawer - 10 sippy cups, etc. that DS has outgrown to donate

Total 112 items

New Total:

2087/2012

$2204.95

Wow!  We did it!  The challenge is done but the purging is not!  Bring on 2013!!  energy.gif

#969 of 1026 Old 11-04-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:

So, this weekend I got pretty ruthless in the purging department.  I didn't do many "spaces" but what I did do, I did thoroughly.  I've been stingy with the numbers, just counting "items" and no empty boxes, garbage, or small misc. pieces etc.

From the two bathrooms - 45 items (the bathrooms are now officially down to the stuff we use daily, plus a couple items for guests (we are 'poo free, but know guests aren't for example)

From the family room - 35 items (mostly to donate) including a couple vases, some toys, etc.)

From two cupboard in the kitchen - 16 items (coffee mugs, pie plates, etc.) to donate plus 6 cookbooks that I never use (all to donate)

From the tupperware drawer - 10 sippy cups, etc. that DS has outgrown to donate

Total 112 items

New Total:

2087/2012

$2204.95

Wow!  We did it!  The challenge is done but the purging is not!  Bring on 2013!!  energy.gif

thumb.gif jumpers.gif clap.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifthumbsup.gif

Well done!!!!! orngbiggrin.gif

#970 of 1026 Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Minnie mouse costume sold!

dish brush tossed

toilet brush tossed

2 handbags

4 shopping totes

pajama top

purse bracelet

running shoes

t shirt

calendar

backpack

786/2012

$551

SAHM to three
#971 of 1026 Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post

946/2012

Gosh I've been doing a bad job of keeping track this year. I just got rid of a ton of things and didn't even count. I'll go low with 25 and start counting from here on out.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#972 of 1026 Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

1 pr shoes

4 pr pants to Goodwill

7 random broken pens to the trash

New total 500/2012 - I finally made the 500 mark. Long way to go but still - it's definitely progress for me!

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 341/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012) Ramsey's BS1 $46.31
#973 of 1026 Old 11-09-2012, 06:56 AM

Hi everyone!  I'd like to join if you don't mind.   I know I won't be able to get 2012 things by the end of the year, but I've got to start somewhere.  Maybe by doing this, you all can help keep me motivated.  I've been lurking and reading your posts for a few days now and I really need to do this.  I'm at work right now, so hopefully when I get home tonight, maybe I can start looking for a few things to unload.  Thanks again for the motivation!

Me  ribbonpink.gif, DH  guitar.gif, DSviolin.gif, 2 dogsdog2.gif,  and 4 chickens and 2 roosterschicken3.gif 
#974 of 1026 Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Pickle View Post

I've been doing a little puttering and haven't been counting, but I'll estimate that I've recycled about 30 magazines and phone books.

979 + 30 = 1009

Only halfway there! Gotta get busy! 

13 non-perishables to food pantry
1 coat to coat drive
20 recipes that I've never made

1009 + 34 = 1043

Unsubscribed from 6 companies that emailed me ads all the time

1043 + 6 = 1049

4 toys

1049 + 4= 1053
#975 of 1026 Old 11-10-2012, 07:30 PM

slowly but surely...

donated or tossed:

2 similac diaper bags

plant leaves used as decor

1 wall shelf

1 table cloth

3 plates

29 cassette tapes

1 cassette tape holder

1 box

1 brand new cassette tape

1 pile of papers

1 shirt

1 pile of junk papers from grad school

1 bouquet of fake flowers from a wedding i was in

4 crusty markers

(adding 3 crusty markers from last weekend)

= 50 even

=== 1255/2012

(I've gotten rid of 3711 items over the last four years on this forum! Last years selling total: $456)
#976 of 1026 Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealsmith83 View Post

Hi everyone!  I'd like to join if you don't mind.   I know I won't be able to get 2012 things by the end of the year, but I've got to start somewhere.  Maybe by doing this, you all can help keep me motivated.  I've been lurking and reading your posts for a few days now and I really need to do this.  I'm at work right now, so hopefully when I get home tonight, maybe I can start looking for a few things to unload.  Thanks again for the motivation!

Hi mama!!! Welcome to the group orngbiggrin.gif

I joined earlier on in the year. I don't think I'll get to 2012 items (I'm only at 50%), but ANY decluttering is better than none. thumb.gif

Best of luck.. And remember, keep us updated!!! love.gif

#977 of 1026 Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 PM

Just checking in!

Another (approx) 10 items gone when dh did a little more in the back room..

1061/2012

#978 of 1026 Old 11-11-2012, 01:43 AM

14 magazines

lipgloss

9 huge kids books

4 scarves

6 tops

jeans

hat

842/2012

$551

SAHM to three
#979 of 1026 Old 11-11-2012, 05:26 PM

1 unused accessory.

Today is drop off day!! Collecting stuff for the donation box is always fun, but I loooooove drop off day. Sheepish.gif

Will check back in later tonight.. Goal for today is 10 items (1072 items)

Total so far: 1062/2012

#980 of 1026 Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 PM

2 huge bags of papers

1 bow

1 broom

2 magnets

1 pin

1 picture

1 hairband

1 bisplay bottle

1 reusable bag

3 containers of dried flowers

3 boxes

1 ribbon

12 fabric scraps

7 magazines

1 broken necklace

=38

= 1293

#981 of 1026 Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Hi-  we moved 2x since I've been to this thread.  I've lost a ton of weight and none of my clothes fit.  Last weekend I took 50 items to donation and I have more to do.

I've lost count of decluttering so I picked the number last posted and added 50.

My mother is sending boxes from our 'temporary move' and most of that needs to be gotten rid of as well.  le sigh.

1101/2012

$384.57

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#982 of 1026 Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 AM

Update: Just went through a heap of documents and shred over 250 papers. I'm going to count every 2 sheets as 1 item.

As I'm getting close to not having many goods to part with, I'm going to set weekly goals in addition to decluttering.. Hope this is okay. My decluttering/organizing goal this week is to organize all the papers in this house - All documents which must be kept will be filed in their appropriate section and the rest shred and put aside for the pet shelter. Paper and clothes are the bane of my existence - So the sooner this is accomplished, the better.

1 figurine also went out the door.

1188/2012

#983 of 1026 Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 PM

Broken kids chair

outdated sunscreen pump pack

12 miscellaneous frozen ephemera

5 ribbons

shorts

863/2012

$551

SAHM to three
#984 of 1026 Old 11-15-2012, 02:34 AM

10 clothes items

2 bathroom items

875/2012

$551

SAHM to three
#985 of 1026 Old 11-16-2012, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

2 pair socks to trash

went through teen's closet - 28 clothing items to Goodwill

New total 530/2012

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 341/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012) Ramsey's BS1 $46.31
#986 of 1026 Old 11-18-2012, 11:45 AM

moving in progress!

7 plastic cups

6 plastic lids

5 garbage bags of trash

3 tupperwares

4 lids

2 baby food jars

2 yogurt containers

1 apartment finder magazine (unneeded cuz i got my house!!! weeeee!!!!!)

1 broken wiffle ball

1 old kings map

1 rotted box

4 wire spools

1 broken baby bath tub

1 fake foilage

1 broken cup

1293+40=1333

#987 of 1026 Old 11-19-2012, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

+ 1

cannot remember how much i had, will have to look back a few pages ...

#988 of 1026 Old 11-19-2012, 02:12 AM

832 out of 2012

1180 to go !

#989 of 1026 Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 AM

Okay, I said I was going to try this so here it goes:

Old church bulletins (count as 1)

Junk mail (count as 1)

Flower poster

DS's old socks and underwear (count as 1)

21 scrapbook magazines

So I guess that makes 25/2012

Gotta start somewhere! 

Me  ribbonpink.gif, DH  guitar.gif, DSviolin.gif, 2 dogsdog2.gif,  and 4 chickens and 2 roosterschicken3.gif 
#990 of 1026 Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 AM

+ 2

834 out of 2012

1178 to go

Tags
Decluttering

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page