Mothering Forum banner

2012 in 2012

30K views 1K replies 88 participants last post by  MrsMike 
#1 ·
As I sit here lining out all the various projects and challenges I am planning for the next year I decided to go ahead and start the new thread for this next year for those who are gung ho for a major decluttering challenge. I realize it's a few days early, but now I can have a link to refer back to from my main projects/challenges list!!

So, here we go!! I had to give up on this year's challenge cause of all kinds of stuff, but I totally am planning on making the 2012 goal. I've already got some stuff that needs to go to various places sitting in my garage that will be the start of my 2012 items!!

#704 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandcheese View Post

a baby jail activity center
lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_momma2007 View Post

Forgot the pic of my dining table (it's right next to the sofa).
Great pictures :) Thanks for sharing. I like how the mirror in the living room makes the room look huge and reflects light. I actually thought it *was* a really big room at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

Well, I haven't been able to get any decluttering done....
greensad.gif

.... because I had a baby!!
biggrinbounce.gif
biggrinbounce.gif
biggrinbounce.gif
Congrats! Enjoy your time and don't worry about any chores or decluttering :)

#706 ·
We finally got a our new bunkbed for the 2 kids. They've been sleeping with me in a queen sized bed and it's getting crowded, and they seem ready to try their own bed. I'm excited, maybe if they actually sleep there, my partner can come back to his bed.. lol.

-1 new bunkbed

-2 twin mattresses

-1 mattress protector

-4 sheets

-2 pillowcases

-1 refillable travel bottle for shampoo/body wash/whatever

-5 shirts for me

-1 kids dress

-2 kids shirts

-1 baby hat

flat sheet that was hanging from the ceiling to make a fort- no room for that particular fort with the new bunkbed and I'm going to use the flat sheets that match their new bedding for forts. who has time to straighten flat sheets everyday? I don't!

fitted queen sheet

blanket

old pillowcase

stroller

paring knife

2 play hot pads

coat

6 pair underwear

socks

3 kids pjs

1 kids dress

pants

kitchen timer

jacket

window fan

towel

we own 524 less things than we did on Jan 1st.

$220

#708 ·
Shower Cap

2 Tooth Brushes

Shine Spray for Hair

Empty Q-Tip Box

Empty Cotton Ball Bag (from Consolidating to 1)

Hair Brush

Crystal Deodorant Mist

3 Chopsticks

Chain

2 Cigarette Coupons

Expired Egg Replacer

Expired Instant Milk

2 Articles of Children't Clothes

8 Articles of Baby Clothes

Old Electronic Cigarette Charger

27 + 1128 = 1155/2012

$68 + $78 = $146

#714 ·
I feel way behind! But I've just found the group and I'm way in!

I announced to my DH (um, first time I've ever typed that, feels awkward, I do mean husband in case I've misunderstood previous DHs and DDs and DSs and the like) that last year, 2011, would be my "year to de-clutter". And announcing that was as far as I got. We're talking major amounts of stuff. DH constantly accuses me of de-cluttering his items but not my own. Things sometimes appear in order but really I've just crammed like things into the same area awaiting ME to go ahead and de-clutter. Projects!! **sigh**

I like this definable goal! I just took a sack of stuff to Goodwill. So wishing I had counted.

So If I buy something (I hate shopping, just curious) am I really subtracting that? I know personal goal. Still, brutal.

#715 ·
welcome lexymom...I have been writing DH for years and it still feels a bit weird, especially on days when I am not feeling inclined to call him "Dear Husband"!
lol.gif

I don't subtract things if I buy stuff, it's a personal choice to do so or not. Frankly I would find it too discouraging to keep chipping away at my number and would then probably give up!

Today I got rid of:

1 pair broken sunglasses

417/2012

$332

#720 ·
Its been a month but I have a few new additions:

10 pairs of old shoes (I'm ashamed to say we had over 40 pair in our garage plus prolly 15 more inside-those ten were garbage, the rest we will sell and I'll post as that happens.)

3 43 gallon bags of random trash from the garage (includes some leaves, but I'll fudge a little here!)

1 old lotion

1 outdated medicine

1 half used art kit (and by half used I mean mostly eaten by the littles...it was a source of much discontent!)

9 old makeup products

3 holey shirts

21 items of kids clothes to the consignment shop

1 blanket

50 items total

Old amount: 138/2012

New amount: 188/2012

I'd feel a lot better about the things moving out if my mother wasn't determined to have multiple things for me every time I go over there. I'm helping my dad out after surgery so its darn near daily!
irked.gif
I really don't need two more jars of peanut butter, a new shirt that's hideous, two belts, skirts, shoes for the boys etc etc etc...Ok, rant over!

#722 ·
5 kids toys returned to store

8 books donated

6 kids clothing items donated

11 clothing items donated

3 enormous piles of craft & art junk

1 broken coffee grinder that sat in the cabinet for 18 months

405 + 44 = 449/2012

#724 ·
Okay, I am sure to come back with more, as we are REALLY starting to make progress on stuff finally, but I thought I should post what has been gotten rid of the last few weeks before I forget!!

Recycling:
*5 bags/bins of shredded papers/paper trash
Total: 5

Freecycled:
*1 printer
*1 laundry cart
*1 huge tube TV
*1 stereo system
*3 cans of formula
*1 metal bed frame
*1 stack of photo printer paper
Total: 9

Goodwill:
*14 ball caps
*5 pairs of shoes
*13 clothing items
Total: 32

New Total: 557/2012

#725 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
LOL! I moved to a new apartment. LOL I just had to declutter the old one. I am so happy to be rid of it!
lol awesome congrats :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3xMama View Post

I'd feel a lot better about the things moving out if my mother wasn't determined to have multiple things for me every time I go over there. I'm helping my dad out after surgery so its darn near daily!
irked.gif
I really don't need two more jars of peanut butter, a new shirt that's hideous, two belts, skirts, shoes for the boys etc etc etc...Ok, rant over!
My mom and grandma are the same way. Sometimes it's very helpful and it's things we need or save us money. Like 2 more jars of peanut butter.. lol. No joke she sends things like jars of peanut butter in packages across the state. The packages just arrive and I just have to sort through and make a bag for the thrift store. It can a little frustrating because it's an extra chore or added clutter. And they are just trying to be nice or helpful so I don't really think I should say anything. They would be offended, this is their way of showing love. I don't know if its the same for your mom, but maybe. She might be trying to take care of you, or maybe she is just trying to declutter too. lol. I know how frustrating it is though. At the end of the month I am going to help my grandma move, I am pretty sure I will come back with a car load if I am not careful. I am getting better at excuses though! Sometimes people don't ask though, they just mail it.

2 bikes!

fan

2 pair sunglasses

3 shirts

2 hats

3 pair gloves

4 tank tops

4 boxers

rice spoon

toilet brush

bottle of bubbles

blender

electric hand mixer

-bean bag chair - looks like its staying here and not leaving :(

-dress and pair of PJs my daughter accidentally saw in the thrift store bag in the back of the car. I guess they are staying for now.

-fire truck hat

we own 546 less things than we did on Jan 1st.

$225

#726 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingAnonymous View Post

My mom and grandma are the same way. Sometimes it's very helpful and it's things we need or save us money. Like 2 more jars of peanut butter.. lol. No joke she sends things like jars of peanut butter in packages across the state. The packages just arrive and I just have to sort through and make a bag for the thrift store. It can a little frustrating because it's an extra chore or added clutter. And they are just trying to be nice or helpful so I don't really think I should say anything. They would be offended, this is their way of showing love. I don't know if its the same for your mom, but maybe. She might be trying to take care of you, or maybe she is just trying to declutter too. lol. I know how frustrating it is though. At the end of the month I am going to help my grandma move, I am pretty sure I will come back with a car load if I am not careful. I am getting better at excuses though! Sometimes people don't ask though, they just mail it.
Oh, its definitely my mom's way of showing she loves us. Sometimes I wish she'd just say it and act like it, though, rather than give me stuff. A lot of stuff I am really grateful for, esp all the clothes she buys for *me*. She's bought almost all of the items in my wardrobe and I'm very thankful for them. I just don't need anymore and I know they are getting tight on cash (my dad has had three major surgeries in the past 9 months) and everything she buys is new--normally on a really good sale but still it adds up. But she is one of those who needs material items to feel happy and she thinks everyone else is that way, too. I'm not. Thanks for reminding me of her perspective, though!
smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.