Mothering Forum banner

2012 in 2012

30K views 1K replies 88 participants last post by  MrsMike 
#1 ·
As I sit here lining out all the various projects and challenges I am planning for the next year I decided to go ahead and start the new thread for this next year for those who are gung ho for a major decluttering challenge. I realize it's a few days early, but now I can have a link to refer back to from my main projects/challenges list!!

So, here we go!! I had to give up on this year's challenge cause of all kinds of stuff, but I totally am planning on making the 2012 goal. I've already got some stuff that needs to go to various places sitting in my garage that will be the start of my 2012 items!!

#929 ·
Quote:
New Total:

1912/2012

$2063.95

100 TO GO!
Last night I went through all my tights/pantyhose and got rid of 10 items. 1 bag of general trash (some ripped hose, empty packages, etc.) and 4 pairs of tights that I never wear to donate. Also went through a clothing drawer and got rid of 5 old tshirst.

New Total:

1922/2012

$2063.95

#930 ·
twin bed

end table

3 hangers

ice pack

41 kids clothes

3 diapers

1 wool cover

7 old pillow cases and sheets

pillow

2 bags for storing comforters

baby blanket

plant

plant pot

2 spray bottles

rag

exacto knife

5 toys

2 of my clothes

-dinosaur puzzle

-superhero puzzle

-toy truck

-2 toy planes

-pillow case, flat and fitted sheet

-5 pair underwear

-water bottle

-1 ice pack

-2 costumes

we own 899 less things than we did on Jan 1st.

and we've made $543.90 from selling things :)

#931 ·
donation:

3 hangars

2 champagne glasses

2 coffee mugs

4 mismatched plates

4 outgrown toys

1 pumpkin decoration I "inherited" when the last to move out of my last year's college dorm... never did like that thing

1 miniature green decorative bowl

1 plastic rabbit, from my great aunt... eeks

2 pairs of kids shoes

recycled:

1 tupperware the dog chewed up >:-(

4 phone books

3 piles of papers while cleaning this weekend

=28 today

=1093

#932 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post
total 197/2012
ack! i can't believe that i haven't updated since this but that's what came up in the search...

about 200 pieces of paper (individual, non-magazine/catalog). i'm sure there will be a lot more.

>20 pieces of trash found around property. there will be more of this too.

total 417/2012

#934 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

New Total:

1922/2012

$2063.95
1 deepfreeze, given away to my cousin. A free golf towel and a bag of tees from a tournament, donated. I also picked up another cheque for $96 and change from consigning some clothes.

New Total:

1925/2012

$2159.95

#936 ·
Quote:
New Total:

1925/2012

$2159.95
1 pair of shoes that DS has grown out of, garbaged as they've been well loved. 1 pair of tights that ripped and ran today! They were practically new too! sigh...

New Total:

1927/2012

$2159.95

#937 ·
2 pairs maternity pants

wool diaper cover

3 pair kids sweat pants

5 baby clothes

3 prefolds

wool cover

8 pair underwear

camp chair

garbage can

8 pieces kids jewelry

3 fitted diapers

4 tools

4 pair nursing pads

pj shorts

2 baby clothes

-9 pair underwear

-3 undershirts

-2 baby clothes (from mom)

-3 toys

-2 bracelets

-24 prefolds

-2 books

-gloves

we own 899 less things than we did on Jan 1st (ugh, same exact number as my last post :/ )

and we've made $516.90 from selling things

#939 ·
Oh my goodness, it's OCTOBER! How did this happen? I've got to get cracking. I admit, I thought this would be easier. It's not the deciding what has to go. It's just the doing that I'm putting off. I'm going to be kicking myself when moving day comes and I'm tossing unsorted things into boxes, vaguely thinking I'll sort it after we move. That simply never happens.

#940 ·
2 huge piles of papers, shredded and recycled

1 dog-chewed up rag, half repurposed, half thrown out

4 pairs of sock i don't really ever wear

7 more. slow weekend, but my moving process has been very stop-and-go, so i lose my motivation quickly :(

=1098

#941 ·
I haven't been here in ages!!!

We've gotten rid of a fair bit but I haven't been counting at all.

BUT.. I am currently prepping a box of toys/kid stuff and there are roughly 50 items in there, so I'll add that to my total.

I don't think I'll make it to 2012 items by December 31st, but I think I can do 1000. Another 400 or so items and I think our house will become bare bones..

I have to tackle the children's clothing and I'm finding it EXTREMELY difficult. There are at least 100-150 items that can 'go'. My problem is.. I'll look at a piece of clothing and fond memories will flow back and then I can't bear to part with it.. Or I'll find shirts which have a couple of very small stains and it makes me sad that it will be torn up by goodwill to be used for 'scrap material/cloth' when it's still perfectly usable as a shirt. Plus I have this wierd thing about knowing something that used to clothe my child is now being used to wipe up grease/something disgusting somewhere. I'd rather keep the shirt in storage unused, than pass it for scrap cloth. Yes, I have issues with re-purposing for scraps.
orngtongue.gif
I don't know why, but I just do. I don't have these issues with my own clothing -- I happily pass them on for any purpose.. It's just my children's clothes.

Where do I send slightly stained but still perfectly usable (no tears/holes/loose threads or thinning fabric) clothing to? Any ideas would be appreciated.

632/2012

#942 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

I have to tackle the children's clothing and I'm finding it EXTREMELY difficult. There are at least 100-150 items that can 'go'. My problem is.. I'll look at a piece of clothing and fond memories will flow back and then I can't bear to part with it.. Or I'll find shirts which have a couple of very small stains and it makes me sad that it will be torn up by goodwill to be used for 'scrap material/cloth' when it's still perfectly usable as a shirt. Plus I have this wierd thing about knowing something that used to clothe my child is now being used to wipe up grease/something disgusting somewhere. I'd rather keep the shirt in storage unused, than pass it for scrap cloth. Yes, I have issues with re-purposing for scraps.
orngtongue.gif
I don't know why, but I just do. I don't have these issues with my own clothing -- I happily pass them on for any purpose.. It's just my children's clothes.

Where do I send slightly stained but still perfectly usable (no tears/holes/loose threads or thinning fabric) clothing to? Any ideas would be appreciated.

632/2012
Have you considered making or having a memory quilt made out of some of the pieces of clothing? http://www.howdoesshe.com/make-a-memory-quilt-for-free-from-your-old-clothes/

As far as donating the slightly stained stuff, is there a church charity that might take them? Or is there a highschool in your area for single moms?

#943 ·
Quote:

New Total:

1927/2012

$2159.95
4 gross, stained baby face clothes that bleach and baking soda can't seem to help.

New Total:

1931/2012

$2159.95

#944 ·
Quote:

New Total:

1931/2012

$2159.95
Cleaned the coat closet and the shoe closet from summer to fall/winter today and also moved summer clothes downstairs, and winter stuff upstairs for myself.

1 potty insert - no longer used

1 broken pair of sunglasses

1 purse with broken strap

1 small bag of garbage

2 ball caps

1 headband

4 pairs of old, holey shoes

1 shoe missing its mate

2 shirts garbaged (one with a big stain, one with a big hole)

2 sweaters to consign

6 hangers recycled

New Total:

1953/2012

$2159.95

#947 ·
Oh my goodness! We made SO, SO, SOOOO much progress today!!
thumbsup.gif

300+ items out the door today alone. Several boxes going to goodwill and unfortunately some unusable stuff (broken, torn, a single peice of an item we no longer have) in the trash (only 2 small bags). This was only 6 hours work. I attacked the hideous back room which was crammed with boxes, bags and so much stuff atop stuff from our last move and was absolutely amazed at all the stuff just sitting there dusty and unused for almost one year. Goes to show how much we really can live without. I've become so detached to stuff as of late, so it wasn't too emotionally draining to part with anything. I've got more to go.. but won't be able to start working on it until next weekend.

I feel absolutely awesome right now!!
broc1.gif

I think I take back my comment about another 400 items and the house being bare bones (back when I was only at 632 items total).. I've got more than that to go.. I think it's another 400 or so items from this point onwards.

932/2012.

#949 ·
returned to rightful owner:

4 pairs shoes

2 shirts

1 bag

Donation:

1 shirt

1 pair of socks

1 sweater

1 pair underwear

Recycle:

1 pile papers

1 bag of plastic bags

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.