S/O: stuffed animals -- what do I do with them??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-01-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, so the other thread on this forum about stuffed animals reminded me that I've been meaning to ask about a similar problem.  

So, stuffed animals are the bane of my existence!!!!  We have a number of friends who just have to get DD a stuffed animal for Every. Single. Holiday.  Easter.  Halloween.  Memorial Day.  You think I'm kidding.  Now they get one each for DD and DS.  It's really dreadful.  I get rid of bags and bags of the things, and they just keep on coming in.  

Even worse is that our church has a big stuffed-animal giveaway extravaganza for every holiday, too.  And DH insists that we Cannot say no to the church stuffed animals, since a whole lot of well-meaning volunteers go out and get the stupid animals for every holiday gathering, and they're so sweet about giving them to the kids and get so excited about it.  But whoever the volunteers are, they smoke at home, so all the stuffed animals smell like smoke.  I don't even feel good giving them away, but they're always brand-new and I feel guilty throwing them in the trash.  

For Christmas, they gave out stuffed animals and DD (of course) chose a gigantic stuffed frog that's bigger than her and REEKS of smoke.  I stuffed it out on the enclosed porch when we got home just to let it air out, but I'm stymied about what to do with it now. 

Any creative suggestions????  

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#2 of 6 Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

One comes in, one goes out. Tell the kids they can choose to keep the new one and get rid of an old one they don't play with any more or  they can donate the new one. I have a hard time with stuffies, too, because so many donation places around here don't take them any more. I think I may freecycle some. My kids have picked out some to donate, but I have to find some place to donate them to! My girls really do like them a lot, especially my younger one, and they do play lots of imaginative games with them, so they're not just dust collectors, but we're completely overrun and they breed in the dark corners and make more! I've known parents (like my DH) that just want to ban them all, but I just need to pare down the number. 

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 6 Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 PM

Well I have the same issue, my ds and I just went through the bin of stuffed animals a month ago. It is full again. So I have been engineering an alternative. I have hung a canvas strap from the curtain post (the part that is secured to the wall) and I used diaper pins to pin the big oversized ones up. They can't reach them. I would rather just get rid of them all, but they don't belong to me. They look cute and they are out of the way.  Anyway, if anyone has any more ideas I still have a large population I would love to find better accomodations for. Especially the little TY's.

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#4 of 6 Old 01-01-2012, 03:14 PM

you might try your local fire department or police dept as a place to donate. I think sometimes they bring along a stuffed animal for when there is an emergency involving children. 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#5 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know if I'd want to give a smoky-smelling stuffed animal to ANY child, especially one who's experiencing an emergency.  Any ideas for ways to get the smell out of the toys?

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#6 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 AM

i wash all stuffed animals in the washer annually. i only kept the animals i really loved from when i was a kid and i don't get them as gifts for my kiddos. no one else does either so i can't help ya there!

mama to one '07 and one '09

Tags
Decluttering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page