Need online backup/storage system recommendations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really couldn't find the best place to post this question but I suppose it really falls under "organizing" - it's about finding a place to back up your files (specifically family & kids photos) online permanently so I don't need to burn backup CDs and keep them and lose them still if anything were to happen to our home or gets lost in the process of moving, who knows.

I know these are popular but I need recommendations.  Where is the best place online to backup your data?  (somewhere safe, reliable, secure, best price, etc)

I know there are places like shutterfly but that sort of printing and sharing website isn't what I'm looking for.  I'm looking more for storage/backup type places. I don't want to be loading photos one by one to the site. I want to upload an entire folder all at once (for example, my photos are organized on my computer by month, each month has its own folder and I want to find a place to upload/dump all of these folders as a secure data storage so I won't have to keep any backup myself).  I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have just been through an email hacking episode, which made me realize that I needed a much better way of backing up my computer. I am using Backblaze, http://www.backblaze.com, which for $4/month continuously and automatically backs up my data, doing it all in the background whenever the computer is connected to the internet. It is idiotproof. I don't have to remember to do anything.

Another option is Dropbox, http://www.dropbox.com. You have to manually add the files that you want, but then it automatically keeps it current, syncing any changes. I use Dropbox as well as Backblaze. I keep documents that I want to share or be able to access from work computer, iPhone, etc. on Dropbox. Dropbox is free. 

#3 of 4 Old 01-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I use Dropbox, and was going to suggest it also, but it's only free up to a certain size limit. If you're storing a lot of media files, you'll hit that limit pretty quickly. However it's not terribly expensive to upgrade to a larger limit.

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#4 of 4 Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I use box.net for file storage.  It has "cloud computing" capabilities with mobile devices and such.  I love it.  No USB's or CDs to lose.  Free storage to a certain limit (I have yet to reach it in 5 years).

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!

Tags
Organizing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page