Mothering Forum banner

April/May Room challenge..declutter a room of your own choice

4K views 58 replies 11 participants last post by  clutterwarrior 
#1 ·
Would anyone like to join me in a decluttering challenge of their own choice?

I really need to declutter 2 rooms in particular...my craft room and the spare room. The rest of the house is quite orderly, just seem to have trouble with these 2 rooms.

The spare room is particularly daunting to start, so I am going to start with my craft room.

Just took some before photos, which although embarrassing I will share as I know that putting it out there will motivate me to get started!

craft_room2012.jpg

These drawers are great storage for all my scrapbooking papers and supplies, but I have ended up storing clothes in 4 of them.

craft_room2012d.jpg

These shelves are great but I need to pull everything out see what I can get rid of and tidy it all up.

craft_room2012f.jpg

See less See more
#4 ·
Your progress is looking good.

I'll join you. I'll even take pics. I was feeling fabulous a week ago, but now I feel drained. It's been like that for me for the past 4 years. I've actually started on this room (a week ago when I was feeling good) but I don't know when I'll be ready to start it up again.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

Your progress is looking good.

I'll join you. I'll even take pics. I was feeling fabulous a week ago, but now I feel drained. It's been like that for me for the past 4 years. I've actually started on this room (a week ago when I was feeling good) but I don't know when I'll be ready to start it up again.
Thanks laohaire... my motivation goes up and down too. guess that is why I am hoping that taking photos and writing about it here might help!
smile.gif

#7 ·
I will join you - Last night I made a room by room list of what needs to be de-cluttered, or changed in every room in the house - some of the stuff is little things I can tackle in a day, some are a bit trickier - and some are depending on hopefully getting a tax return! I am gonna look at the list and pick one thing to do during the day today, and one thing tonight and I will post in a bit - your craft room looks amazing by the way!! One of our major projects is turning one of our "bedrooms" ( we all co-sleep so the "bedrooms" for the kids go to waste or become crap catchers) into a lego/game/craft room - we just turned one of the other bedrooms into a music room last week! :) Looking forward to this thread!!

#8 ·
Ok, so along with my daily stuff (homeschool stuff, work stuff etc) my "special chores" today : de-clutter 12 items from downstairs playroom, clean off shelf in laundry area, declutter sheets!!!!!!!). The stomach bug went through our house this past weekend and really clued me in to the fact that we have some sorry sheets! We have a queen and twin pushed together and for some reason have about a million twin flat sheets, and like,nothing else - so really kind of excited to go through and get RID of a bunch!!

#12 ·
Ooh, ooh! I will join in on this one! Our storage room in the basement is a heaping mess, and with an upcoming move (again!), I do not want to have to unpack the same mess I have in there. I will take some pictures; may need some help to actually post them though
redface.gif
I will try to search for some directions on how to post...

#13 ·
Got the 2 "special jobs" done yesterday!! But did not get to the 12 item de-clutter :(. Today I am going to do that, and re-organize the little bay window shelf in the upstairs playroom - I would post a picture of it, but i have NO IDEA how lol!!!!

#14 ·
I have had to stop working on my craft room temporarily as organising my son's room has taken over as a priority.

I need to get rid of the furniture that is there and buy a desk for his room, as he is turning 10 in February and I think it is overdue for him to have a proper desk to work at.

I spent a few hours working in his room yesterday with him and got the shelves cleared.

j_room_shelves.jpgj_room_shelves_cleared.jpg

Now I have to clear space in the garage, so we can move the shelves down there to use them as storage. I haven't decided where I will put the small bookshelf yet.

I have to store some of his toys, and sell some of them.

The books...some need to be stored, some are going to be donated to the library, or the hospital perhaps.

That wizard in a chair sitting on top of the shelves, weighs a ton! My inlaws gave it to him recently, just when I was trying to declutter and now we have this thing that I can't even lift to move! I am not sure what we will do with it yet...need to consult with DS.

#17 ·
I putzed around in the storage room a bit today, but mostly got caught up on other stuff I was neglecting while decluttering. I don't like the projects left in there. Sorting through old paperwork, sorting and organizing years worth of photos. Taking stuff to the basement and attic. I also have to paint a dresser in there and find a new home for the rug.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post

I putzed around in the storage room a bit today, but mostly got caught up on other stuff I was neglecting while decluttering. I don't like the projects left in there. Sorting through old paperwork, sorting and organizing years worth of photos. Taking stuff to the basement and attic. I also have to paint a dresser in there and find a new home for the rug.
Yeah I often find that too, I start one job and get distracted by many others! But I guess the bottom line is that you are still getting stuff done.

Started moving the books off that bookshelf in my son's room, it's a slow process though due to multiple distractions round here currently.

#19 ·
I am so here! I've been doing this in my kitchen already, but I'm glad to see that there is a thread! I'm about halfway through so pictures aren't going to do much anymore. Most of the seen clutter has been moved already! Its been so awesome to get things organized and cleaned! I'm finding so much stuff we just don't use anymore. I'm going to have to pull together a garage sale this spring to get rid of it all.

Here is my list of stuff to do, things I've already completed I've crossed off:

Clean oven

Organize oils/vinegars, get rid of old/unused

Organize and wipe out baking cabinet

Organize all appliances and fit them into cabinets

Organize spices

Clean fridge-inside, outside and freezer

Wipe down walls

Declutter main counter (its a catchall mainly for mail/paper)

Wall counter declutter

Strip and wax floor

Clean out the garbage can (though that may have to wait for spring!!)

Wash window and window sill

Clean off tops of cabinets

Wipe down inside of all cabinets and drawers

Organize and weed through utensils

Clean dishwasher inside and out

Tupperware cabinet

Clean and organize lazy susans

I'm hoping to keep this up and go through the rest of my house room by room this year. I'm rather daunted by it, but my house really needs it. Going room by room should help me focus. I tried to wash all the walls at one time in my house once and about cried!! Lets get it done!!

#20 ·
I started as soon as I saw this thread the other day - our basement storage room is in dire need of decluttering. My problems now? Crafts, some baby stuff (pack and play, mobile piece, etc. that we still need around), and stuff to sell, ergh! I posted 6 things on Craig's List and should be selling one this weekend, already sold another thing. I have a few things to ebay (a non-digital SLR camera, video camera, and 30 yr old Barbie stuff) and a box to yard sale.

Now what to do with the box of yearbooks?!?!?!?!

#21 ·
HI, I'm late to the party, as usual. I just posted in the 2012 thread that I need to organize my kitchen pantry. I am still dealing with my 'craft' and storage closet from december. I am moving slow on my own closet as that is deemed MOMMY"S SPACE and I want it to be 'perfect'. I'm sure you all can understand.

I really need to take a full day and tear apart the pantry, and re-organize the thing. Then take a day and meal plan based on what we have in inventory for the next 30-60 days.(and stick to that plan). I have so much pantry items its just not funny. I coupon like crazy and things come for free or almost free (a necessity on my zero income house right now) but I must be organized so they do not expire.

I don't know how to post to internet, nor do I want pics of my space for all to see. But if you lived closer I would be happy to invite you over to look and hELP ME.

#22 ·
Hi and welcome Zebra 15, justmeandmybrood, 3XMama, and everyone else who has joined in too!
Welcome.gif

I got a lot of my son's books stored away yesterday in boxes, but only the ones I really want to keep like the Dr Seuss ones and Mr Men ones, the rest are going to charity.

Not really feeling much like doing anymore this afternoon as it is raining and miserable, I am going to have some 'me' time instead doing some craftwork, and keep going with the decluttering tomorrow.

#23 ·
i'll join. i will try to take pictures tomorrow when it's daylight. it's my old bedroom, which i hope to use again one day real soon. (been sleeping with my son in another room.) here's what needs done:

* clothing, clothing, clothing. the bed has been repository for all folded clothing and towels that need put away. put away is all over the place. first i need to sort it into piles, then put it away, or ask my kids to put it away. also, hand me downs that have come my way. also need put away, or passed along. i will need to employ several kitchen sized garbage bags to fill with the give-aways. doing this alone will take care of about 80 percent of the problem in this room. it's a BIG problem. i've probably got 2-3 hours of work just to deal with the clothes.

* miscellaneous. this is the other category of clutter. financial papers. photos. a few baby items that are suitable to "sell" in a consignment shop. this might be 5-7 hours of work. i don't know. i have a hard time decluttering papers. i get wrapped up in the "what ifs" and don't trash much / enough.

this room has become the catch-all for clutter, and i hate that!

once i get the clutter cleared, i want to sew a new bedspread for the bed (in purple, using PLUSH fabric) and buy a few new pillows and a down comforter to make the bed lush and inviting.

otherwise, the room is in pretty decent shape.

encouragement, please!!

#24 ·
Clutterwarrior, you and I have 'worked' together over the years... I know we can conquer so much in 2012!

I've decided to finally get the last stuff from my old roommates house in the next couple months. There is NO WHERE to bring it here so I must deal with that stuff quickly and efficiently as well. DS has some lego sets left and I have tons of craft supplies. Everything needs to be sterilized and then quickly determined 'keep or sell'.

I can probably sell the craft stuff on the homeschool lists I'm on or ebay. Lego's will be sorted and kept for now.

I'm feeling the need to cut all material ties with this woman. She is going down like the Titanic and while my things are minimal, I WANT THEM.

Makes total sense right?

#26 ·
So I haven't gotten to the bedroom at all this week :( But I have gotten more progress done on our kitchen and dining room, which are to be painted soon so they need to be as empty as possible. If I could find some one to buy our darn piano, that would be so awesome!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.