Mothering Forum banner

TV woes!! Where do I put this thing?! (Pic Added!)

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  FrugalGranolaMom 
#1 ·
I'm in the midst of trying to organize and simplify our living space. We have an awkward shaped house- clearly built before the days of huge TVs.

Our kids don't watch any TV, and DH and I only watch it after they've gone to bed. I've attempted to put the TV in our enclosed back porch with a couch, but DH won't let me.

Right now, it's sitting on the mantle. I don't like it there, but it's out of the kids' sight line, and it's not really glaring at us all day. However, it looks crazy tacky and I'd like my decorative fireplace to be, well... decorative!

We have hot water baseboard heaters, so i'm needing to move the couch to a different location. The only location left is in front of the sunroom area- and if I do that, the front of the couch is about 4 feet away from the wall in front of it- too close for TV viewing, right? I have a tv stand we used in our other apartment, so that's not an issue...

having a in the sunroom area would really suck. that's where our kids play the most, they love looking out of our seven big windows... ugh.

Here's a picture of our living room/sunroom area. The off white couch that is by the windows is currently in our dining room. The brown couch with chaise is the one we need to move.. it is really blocking the heat from dissipating into the house. You can see the gaudy TV on our mantel.

ideas?!?!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

See less See more
#3 ·
Can you put it in your bedroom? (Although most marriage counselors and sleep counselors would wince at this suggestion.) If you and your husband are only viewing it after the kids are asleep you don't need it in the living room.

Or you can put it on a stand against the wall where the beige couch is, put the couch perpendicular to the fire place. Awkward viewing for both fireplace and tv. That's what we do - which isn't so bad - no one wants to watch tv too long if their neck has to be craned to view it.
winky.gif

Just some suggestions

#4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! DH and I spent an hour rearranging stuff and everything is back in its usual place, haha.

Our enclosed back porch will likely turn into DH's man-cave/office, so I'm going to ask him if he'd like to mount it in there. I mean- why not? :) I hate lounging around on the couch- we don't watch a ton of TV.. it's not every day.

I'd go for putting it in our bedroom but it's a 46" tv... and our bedroom is pretty small, lol. Of course we could mount it and throw a silk over it when not in use. Yknow, that's not such a bad idea. I'd probably watch it and fold laundry or something. I can't stand falling asleep with the TV on!

Thanks for the ideas.. I'll discuss this with him when he gets home! :)

Cyclamen- thank you for the lovely comment! It is so much more calming when it's clean...!

#5 ·
Can you buy a mounting bracket and put it above the fireplace? I'm thinking of something like this. I am having a hard time telling how much space you would still have on your mantel, so if it's not enough, ignore the suggestion. However, mounting it would be less tacky (as you say) and from the looks of it, would still give you some decorating space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.