Need an easy-to-use mop or other way to control house dust - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have SO much dust in our house. No idea why, but I'm trying to keep it under control. I dust weekly, with a wet rag, which I rinse periodically in the sink while dusting.

I'm looking for a way to quickly dust under beds, the couch, corners, etc. We have hardwood, vinyl and laminate floors throughout our house.

I was thinking some sort of Swiffer-type mop would work. But I would need a cloth to go with it that could be damp, rinsed/washed, reused, etc. I would also like to avoid any sort of microfiber cloth. The thought of those microfibers getting all over my house makes me nervous.

Any ideas? 

#2 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubel View Post

We have SO much dust in our house. No idea why, but I'm trying to keep it under control. I dust weekly, with a wet rag, which I rinse periodically in the sink while dusting.

I'm looking for a way to quickly dust under beds, the couch, corners, etc. We have hardwood, vinyl and laminate floors throughout our house.

I was thinking some sort of Swiffer-type mop would work. But I would need a cloth to go with it that could be damp, rinsed/washed, reused, etc. I would also like to avoid any sort of microfiber cloth. The thought of those microfibers getting all over my house makes me nervous.

Any ideas? 

We like to damp mop our floors, using just cotton rags wrapped around a swiffer-type mop. Works well enough, since the dampness collects the dust and the rags can be reused. Old pure cotton kitchen towels are great for this. For areas that can't be damp mopped, a feather duster works well for collecting loose dust. For more stubborn dust, like on fabric, the vaccuum cleaner is our tool of choice.

#3 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 06:01 PM

Lovesong - I use microfiber cloths to dust... What makes you nervous about them? I wasn't aware of any safety issues... Can you enlighten me?

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#4 of 6 Old 01-29-2012, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

Lovesong - I use microfiber cloths to dust... What makes you nervous about them? I wasn't aware of any safety issues... Can you enlighten me?

I wasn't aware of any safety issues with microfibre cloth either. We use them for really cleaning things at my home, like mirrors, windows and cabinets. We just don't use them for dusting, because we feel damp cloths and our feather duster does a better job.

#5 of 6 Old 01-29-2012, 01:20 PM

You can put a regular washcloth on a swiffer.

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#6 of 6 Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

I have not heard of safety issues concerning microfibers. It's just a hunch I have. I'd prefer to stick with simple cotton. I think I'll try the Swiffer with my own cotton rags. Thanks all!

Tags
Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page