Do I need a tart pan if I have a pie plate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I have two tart pans that in theory are wonderful -- they have scalloped edges and a pop-out bottom, so they're in two pieces, and you could make something beautiful with them.  What would you make with a beautiful tart pan?  I would love to justify their staying in my kitchen, because I'd love to be a fancy dessert maker, but...will I regret giving them up?  (No, it's not an option to re-buy if I give these up).

I have lots and lots of pie plates.  Is there anything you need a tart pan for that you can't make beautifully in a pie plate or cake pan?

My inner Martha is very concerned.  ROTFLMAO.gif

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10
#2 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthy View Post

My inner Martha is very concerned.  ROTFLMAO.gif

lol.gif

I think you just need a tart pan if you want that type of presentation.  But you could always just do a free-form tart. I think Martha would approve of the rustic look. winky.gif I think a pie plate would work for some things too. 

#3 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Need? No, you could certainly live without it if you have a pie plate. But they are very nice for savory tarts - onion tarts, leek and bacon tarts, puff pastry creations - something where do you don't want several inches of filling. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#4 of 9 Old 03-02-2012, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I feel so luxurious having beautiful tart pans.  Maybe it will inspire me to figure out how to make beautiful tarts.  I know, that is the exact opposite of decluttering.  But I'm cooking differently now and learning new recipes like never before, so I think there is a chance.  I will hang onto them a bit longer.  Thanks.

I deserve to keep beautiful things, things I enjoy, things I use, things I need, things I love.  I am betting I will enjoy these, and if I haven't used them in a year, I'll know what to do.

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10
#5 of 9 Old 03-02-2012, 05:29 AM

I think that's a perfectly fine reason to keep them. I've over-decluttered in the past, so I'm a little more reluctant to get rid of things now. A tart pan might not be necessary, but it could be useful, and it's not like they take up a lot of room. There's a beautiful picture of an apple tart in one of my cookbooks that I would totally love to make one day, maybe when the kids are grown. lol.gif  

#6 of 9 Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 PM

I would keep them if you really feel strongly about them and if you couldn't re-buy them later. There are probably a limited number of items in your home that this applies to, kwim?

#7 of 9 Old 03-02-2012, 01:54 PM

I was going to suggest keeping them - with this reason  and this other reason (which, really, are things I only make once or twice a year, but I find really worth keeping the tart pans for myself.)

#8 of 9 Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

I was going to suggest keeping them - with this reason  and this other reason (which, really, are things I only make once or twice a year, but I find really worth keeping the tart pans for myself.)

Oh my, those look sooooo amazing.  Ironic since it's in the decluttering forum, but this thread has got me wanting to go out and buy a tart pan just in case. bag.gif

#9 of 9 Old 03-04-2012, 02:06 PM

I vote for keeping it...but we enjoy baking in this house and couldn't do without tart pans!

SAHM to three

Tags
Decluttering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page