Please vote whether I should keep or get rid of this... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When DH and I first got married we bought a really nice hardrock maple bedroom set at an estate sale. We have been using both dressers, the mirror, and the end tables, and have been very pleased with the set.

The set included a beautiful full size headboard/footboard  as well. We didn't use this because we wanted a king bed. We didn't want to break up the set, so we kept it in the basement. I thought maybe someday I'd have a girl who would want this beautiful bed. However, we now have three boys. They are not going to want this bed. 

It is still in our basement. We have moved with it once and are planning to move again in the next year or two. We will always have a basement for storage, so keeping the bed technically isn't a problem.

I just feel that it's being wasted in the basement, when somebody could be using it. I'd like to sell/donate it. DH thinks we should keep it since it matches our set, and somebody may want the whole set someday.

What would you do? Keep or donate?

#2 of 20 Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM

I'd keep it if you have the space to store it without an issue. But that is mostly because I'm lazy. I probably wuld no tmove it again though

#3 of 20 Old 03-06-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree keep it. It's part of a set, easy to store and you have the space.
Why wouldn't your boys want it?

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 20 Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I live for 'now' and now you don't need it. I would list it for sale and see what $$ you can get.

I definitely do NOT move extra furniture.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 20 Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM

I'm in de-cluttering mode so I would lean towards getting rid of it.  However, the value is in having the full set so if you can see yourself selling the set in the future and/or making use of the bed in a guest room or the like then I'd consider keeping it given that storage is not an issue.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#6 of 20 Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 PM

I would get rid of it. I'm coming from the mindset that someone else could be getting good use out of it, while you do not have any set plans for it, and while in storage it could get ruined by the elements, etc.

Consider, if you really love this set, do you picture yourself getting rid of it any time soon? If you think you'll use it for the next 20 years, that's 20 years of storing the bed.

Also, not as many people get full-size beds anymore when buying large sets.. usually going for a queen or king, so there may not be as big a market for your full-sized set.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#7 of 20 Old 03-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Are you sure your boys won't want it? If you're assuming they won't want pretty things, you can consider on the other hand that you may have daughters-in-law some day who might. IDK, the other posters in this thread also make good points. I'm not sure which side I'd come down on.

#8 of 20 Old 03-07-2012, 04:41 PM

Unless keeping it is a major inconvenience, I advise that it would be best to keep the set together for a number of reasons; it makes it more valuable for investment or resale, and may well be wanted by your future daughter in law or possible granddaughter you may have.

SAHM to three
#9 of 20 Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM

You are also assuming that the pieces you are using will not be ruined and will be in 'give-able' condition to someone who wants them or in a condition to sell.  So you may keep the bed, pay for moving it, give space to store it and in 20 years find out the dresser is damaged from normal wear and tear etc.

I still go with my answer of sell what you are not using.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#10 of 20 Old 03-07-2012, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any chance you have a guest bedroom? I love beautiful things, so unless keeping it is really ruining your life.. I'd hang onto it a while longer.
#11 of 20 Old 03-08-2012, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

I agree keep it. It's part of a set, easy to store and you have the space.
Why wouldn't your boys want it?

ITA. I've got a beautiful headboard and footboard in my attic, too. It's an antique and I love it. It's just a full size and we are using a king size bed, atm. It's easier to move and store than many things. I have another one I don't love but I'm keeping it until we are ready to get rid of the rest of the bedroom set (we'll sell it on Craigslist). People do like buying matching sets so they aren't stuck trying to find one piece that works with the rest.

If it's quality furniture, it will still be nice in 20 years with normal use. The set of furniture I'm hoping to sell is probably from the 60's and in very good shape. The furniture set I love is from 1890 and also in very good condition though the drawers are a little more fussy to work.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#12 of 20 Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 PM

From the standpoint of someone who moves a lot Id probably sell it. I try not to move more than I absolutely necessary.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#13 of 20 Old 03-11-2012, 09:01 AM

I would sell or donate it.  It just seems a waste to hold on to it if it's not going to be used any time soon.  Plus when people buy used then it keeps them from buying new, which is much better for the earth.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#14 of 20 Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Normally I'm for getting rid of unused furniture, but in this case I'd keep it.  Or, consider selling the whole set now and get yourself something different? I hate to break up a set.

#15 of 20 Old 03-11-2012, 02:00 PM

Could you get a king bed frame like this 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZQCJVC/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

and use it with the queen headboard. You'd probably need some ingenuity to get it all safely connected or the new frame might fit right over the original bed rails. 

We got a new mattress last spring and briefly considered getting a king and building a frame around our queen bed to support it. The sales lady talked us out of it because of how a king mattress needs to be supported. Then during the summer I was looking for an economical fold away bed (did not want an inflatable) and came across these frames. Had I but known when we bought the mattress!

#16 of 20 Old 03-17-2012, 05:47 PM

I would sell it now (and have done the same myself). I don't see the point in keeping it if you have no intention of using or selling the whole set in the next 5-10 years. It's just taking up space -- both physical and, obviously, mental space!

Only exception might be if you could use it in a guest room or as a daybed or something.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#17 of 20 Old 03-18-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's opinions! I'm pretty sure we will NEVER have a guest room - we don't even have enough space for each of my sons to have their own room. 

Also, we use organic/natural mattresses on platform beds (so we don't have to buy box springs in addition to mattresses). This full size bed would require a box spring - and of course a full size mattress costs more than a twin. 

Like a few others said, nobody really uses full size beds anymore anyway, so I don't think getting rid of it would decrease the value of the set. And we like the dressers and have no plans to sell them.

I think I will sell/donate the bed. It's already been in the basement for more than 10 years!

#18 of 20 Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 AM

I agree - sell it! If full size beds are less popular, then it won't necessarily make the complete set more appealing. And you don't need/ want it which is all that matters in my opinion.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Karen (39), DH (40), DS (7/7/07), with three m/c (11/05, 10/09, 11/10), BFP for mid-November -- keeping fingers crossed!!
#19 of 20 Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

The bed is gone as of today. I looked at it in the basement and see that the wood was starting to separate and crack. So I put it up on Freecycle, and a woman came to get it two hours later. She loved the bed! It turns out she's a single mom of 3 kids and is trying to pick up furniture cheap (or free). She even emailed me later today to say how thankful she was for the bed.

And my basement looks/feels so much bigger. I've gone down there a few times today just to see all the space! We want to move soon, and now I really feel like I made some headway.

Thanks for everyone's opinions!

Masel likes this.
#20 of 20 Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 PM

I just saw the follow up and this makes me joy.gif

We are starting over in the next couple months and I could be the person who claimed your bed!

WTG mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubel View Post

The bed is gone as of today. I looked at it in the basement and see that the wood was starting to separate and crack. So I put it up on Freecycle, and a woman came to get it two hours later. She loved the bed! It turns out she's a single mom of 3 kids and is trying to pick up furniture cheap (or free). She even emailed me later today to say how thankful she was for the bed.

And my basement looks/feels so much bigger. I've gone down there a few times today just to see all the space! We want to move soon, and now I really feel like I made some headway.

Thanks for everyone's opinions!

Tags
Decluttering , Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page