How many cups/plates/bowls/snack bowls for children do you have? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-20-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many dishes do you have for your kids? I'm struggling with wanting to buy a new set of plastic cups, plates and bowls for my two kids. It's sitting in my cart online and I'm trying not to buy it. redface.gif

Currently I have....two large Green Eats (GE) plates, two GE divided plates, two GE bowls, four GE snack bowls, 2 GE cups, a Royal Doulton bunny dish and cup, a very worn 5-pack of the Munchkin fish plates, and various take n' toss containers and lids (that I never actually toss)

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 9 Old 03-20-2012, 12:57 PM

I think I have about 4-5 bowls per kid. they are usually scattered about the house because they like to play with them....so I just use reg. plates. 

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#3 of 9 Old 03-20-2012, 01:20 PM

I have one 2.5 yo. He has 4 divided plates that we use for lunch and dinner; 6 take and toss plates for breakfast and snacks; 3 tupperware tumblers for water; 5 take and toss straw cups for juice; 4 spoons and 1 fork (the plastic handles keep breaking off); and really no designated bowls. He has some travel containers that we tend to use for things like dry cereal, but generally he uses our ceramic bowls if he's having something like soup. I think we have more than we need for one child, but if I'm feeling lazy/busy/sick we can go about 2.5 days without washing dishes before he'll run out. He's at the point where we are transitioning to "real" dishes and silverware so I don't plan on buying anything else.

Mom to one happy Senorcito (06/09) ... allergic to wheat, nuts, dairy, eggs, sesame, peas and soy.

#4 of 9 Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 PM

My kids use the same dishes and silverware we do, though they usually prefer to eat with the dessert-size forks and teaspoons instead of the larger spoons and forks. They use a sippy cup until they're about three, then just a regular glass. We've had a few chipped or broken dishes, but the savings in hassle is worth it to me. Plus, glasses and real dishes don't get knocked over amd spilled as easily as flimsy plastic stuff.

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#5 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 AM

I have two boys, ages 6 and almost 4 and they have a 12 set of plastic bowls, plates, and cups ( 4 each) and 2 mater cups. That's it. 

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#6 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 AM

I wanted to note that if I'm able to find some smaller drinking glasses for them to use, I'll probably get rid of all the plastic stuff. But our glasses are pretty big and heavy for them.

490/2013

#7 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 AM

green_momma2007, have you seen the website For Small Hands? They carry a ton of smaller sized items that are perfect for kids! We were able to find a set of 6 glass drinking cups for my 18 month old that are a perfect size for him. Even though they're glass, they're thick and sturdy - it would take a lot for them to break. I think they also carry a larger size which may work for your boys?

#8 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfulmama View Post

green_momma2007, have you seen the website For Small Hands? They carry a ton of smaller sized items that are perfect for kids! We were able to find a set of 6 glass drinking cups for my 18 month old that are a perfect size for him. Even though they're glass, they're thick and sturdy - it would take a lot for them to break. I think they also carry a larger size which may work for your boys?

Thanks for the link. I'm gonna go check it out.

490/2013

#9 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 PM

Hi OP,

It sounds to me like you have enough for your kids already.

When my kids were very small, I think we had 2 or 3 plastic bowls,one plastic plate and one plastic divided plate. I think we also had about 4 or 5 sippy cups.

When they got to be about 3, we started using regular rice bowls and plates for their meals.

Tags
Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page