removing shoes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm considering a "no shoes" rule in my home.  Unfortunately, we still end up with a pile of dirt by the front door (live in the country) which gets tracked everywhere.  I have a very small covered front stoop... any suggestions?  Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Get a basket, all the shoes go in a basket.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 04-29-2012, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have bark mulch on all of our berry rows and around our front door, and we are constantly tracking it in.  It's gotten so bad at times that I've threatened to bring in wheelbarrow loads of it and just mulch the floor.  In medieval times they would cover the floor with rushes or straw and just muck it out every spring along with all of the manure from the animals that shared the first floor with them over the winter.  So that's one idea ;)

Something I just thought of that I might try at our house is getting a second entry rug that goes about 6-8 feet in from the door.  So we would have a small foot wiping rug right inside the door, and then shoes are not allowed past the second rug which would be a barrier for that entry way dirt/mulch.  

Other things I've done that help a little:  we just got a non-electric sweeper that is a nice quick clean-up tool that hangs out just inside the entry-way.  DD can use it herself!

100_3552.JPG

Another thing that helps a little is that my gardening shoes are slip-off, and I have slippers that I put on when I come inside so that the dirt on the floor doesn't bother me as much ;)  

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 AM

We have a strict no-shoes rule in our house. We had the same problem, with three kids taking their shoes off in our living room (no mud room or porch) and getting dirt everywhere. So now I make them take their shoes off outside on our front steps.

Then I go out and bang all the dirt out of the treads before taking the shoes inside and placing them on the boot tray (so they don't get wet if it rains). This also helps keep more dirt from falling out of the shoes when they put their shoes on to go back outside. 

I really wish we had a mud room or at least a covered front porch!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 AM

In our old house, we had an over the door shoe organizer in our entryway. That was a garage entry house so it wasn't in sight when company came. If you had a coat closet, it might work there as well. This house had carpet  and the kids were babies, so I requested guests remove their shoes as well. For guests, I had a stool by the front door.

In this house, we have a large metal basket under a buffet near the front door. It is hardwood so I no longer request friends remove their shoes.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
Old 05-01-2012, 11:11 AM

I have a tough outdoor mat at each entry way on the outside. Inside I have a runner rug in front of each door. This is the only surface shoes touch. But yes this rug gets dirty

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 PM

I'm with Chel:  a Waterhog mat just inside the door with edges that keep any wetness contained, and that's the only inside place for shoes (beside the closet).  A good coir mat outside plus a horse hoofpick ($1) for doing our boots on impossibly muddy days.  I hose down the waterhog mat as necessary.  Our carpet still looks good after nearly 15 years, and no scratches on the wood floor.  Best of all, all the toxins that may be in the soil are kept outside too.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 PM

We always take our shoes off because of the dirt, germs and toxins.  We have the outdoor mat and two indoor rugs.  One holds a large basket for shoes. 

I just never know how to ask guests to take their shoes off.  The little ones put everything in their mouth and its harder to keep clean with shoes being worn inside.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceLife View Post

We always take our shoes off because of the dirt, germs and toxins.  We have the outdoor mat and two indoor rugs.  One holds a large basket for shoes. 

I just never know how to ask guests to take their shoes off.  The little ones put everything in their mouth and its harder to keep clean with shoes being worn inside.

Most people wil take off their shoes if they see a basket/rack of shoes by the door.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 07-08-2012, 02:10 PM

We have a no shoe rule here. My husband made a bench with shelving underneath to store shoes and provide seating for easy shoe removal. Tough doormats are located both inside and outside the door to facilitate in keeping dirt out of our home. 

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

Old 07-17-2012, 02:40 PM

When you have guests coming have some slippers ready for them to change into, something like cheap crock knock offs. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmbraceLife View Post

Tags
Simplifying
User Tag List