Making peace with chaos and clutter - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 05-20-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElsieLC View Post

It helps to visit other families' homes that look like mine! But if you are running a school from your house, you probably don't have many opportunities to do that, and do you possibly feel that your visitors are forming an opinion of your skills based on the way your house looks?

Yes-exactly! I think a lot of my stress comes from feeling like I need to keep the house looking nice, since it also serves as a school and parents come and go. I'm really hoping to create a separate space for the playschool when we move to a larger house this fall. And I love how you outlined the different types of disorder ElsieLC! I think part of the problem is that I'm battling all three. We have more toys than we probably should for this size house, but I feel like I need to keep a wide variety since the kiddos I care for have different interests. And I find that I spend so much time tidying that the real cleaning rarely gets done. My DH did a major house cleaning while DS and I were out of town last week and it helped enormously in how I feel about the house. I realized that there was so much grime before that even with all the toys put away, things still felt gross to me. We're going to try to stay on top of the grime and tackle one project a day (cleaning the bathroom or mopping the floor, for example) so things don't get out of hand.

Tittipeitto--I think I may try to keep our dining room table totally free. Like you said, even just having one clutter-free space to rest my eyes helps me feel more relaxed. My son doesn't watch TV yet but we do let him watch toddler music videos on YouTube, so I may try using that as incentive. I find that he actually does help if I make a game out of it, but he still makes faaaar more messes than I can generally stay on top of. 

bejeweled--I love the blanket idea! We have a small area rug in our living room that may become the designated toy area. It would probably take awhile for my DS to understand the concept of keeping his toys confined to one space, but it never hurts to start the process!

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#32 of 36 Old 05-22-2012, 12:41 PM

I try to keep at least my counters clean and clutter free. It really does help to see once space that doesn't have anything on it. I also try to clean at least one small thing a day, like do one load of laundry or vacuum one area of the house.

#33 of 36 Old 05-22-2012, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I just noticed today that the blanket idea works in reverse.  We have a green rug, and the girls almost always keep it clean for doing their cartwheels and general jumping around and rough-housing.  

Very nice.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#34 of 36 Old 09-15-2012, 01:50 AM

Thank god I have a small house and a little one year old baby girl and a helpful husband so I kinda keep things clean and going... My problem is when I have guests (which happens alot) and mostly from my husband's family who stay for several days all things get mixed up. My baby becomes out of control!!! She doesn't like playing with  toys.. sometimes I just wish she would spend 10 minutes interested in a toy she has.. She just runs around the house pulling anything she can reach to the floor.. table cloth, pillows, books, paper tissues,,,,anything... It just drives me crazy trying to keep up with her mess and the guest needs.. I have seen alot of babies in my life but non like her..she is extremely energetic and knows how to tease me on purpose.. she runs to the bedroom, opens the drawes, and in less than two minutes they are empty.. I'm afraid of her getting hurt and I have tried everything to keep her interest in her toys or some harmless things she can play with but nothing seems to work.. not even TV which she doesn't have any interest in whatsoever..so the clutter and mess Im fighting with is not just toys,, its the concept of rearranging the whole house and carrying out my hostice duties beside my full time job...... any suggestions?????

#35 of 36 Old 09-15-2012, 04:43 PM

My second child is very energetic and likes to pull things out too. I made our family room as child-proof as possible, and just try to contain her mess to a smaller area. Maybe you could ask one of the house guests to entertain her while you get caught up. Hopefully, as she gets older, she'll be interested in helping you. Mine likes to take a washcloth and wipe down the counters when I am cleaning the kitchen. She'll become more interested in toys as she gets older too. It gets easier, but I had to accept some level of insanity in my home when seh was little. She still pulls things out and takes them to the wrong rooms. It's tough sometimes.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#36 of 36 Old 09-30-2012, 03:34 AM

thank you for your kind reply...it actually gives some relief to know this will become easier someday... some hope and patience is all I need...i think... well just let me tell you her latest discoveries in the area of wrecking my nerves: jumping...and I don't mean sweet innocent jumping...she now climbs onto my bed or the sofa...counts to 3...then jump (if not commit suicide!!!) It's crazy!!! Im putting cushions all over the floor so she wouldn't hurt herself while Im "not looking"....and boooy is she good at using these times....

Tags
Decluttering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page