Dust caked on my blinds - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We moved into our condo shortly after my husbands uncle was admitted into a nursing home, he has special needs, and while people cleaned up the condo for him, I guess people neglected to wash the blinds. I have NO idea how long the blinds have gone without being dusted, but it's caked on, and I can't wipe anything off with my finger, it's bad. 

My family and I can't afford to replace them right now, and considering we are getting a wonderful family discount, my MIL will not replace them either since it isn't a "necessity", so my question is, is there anything I can do to get who knows how old dust off my blinds? 

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#2 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Damp cloth, maybe add dish soap.

If not, you can take them down and wash in bath tub, if they would fit, but it is a pain.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you :)! I hope the damp cloth and soap works lol, they are a pain to get down! 

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#4 of 10 Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 AM

I have also found that an ammonia cleaner like windex really works well in that kind of situation. In stead of spraying the blinds, I would use a rag and soak it in the windex and wipe them down that way.

#5 of 10 Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 AM

i cleaned some by taking them down and washing them in the bathtub with a grease-remover kind of dish soap (dawn to be specific).  it worked really well.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#6 of 10 Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 PM

Taking them down may save you time.  I fill my bathtub with the hottest water I can, with some dish soap (Dawn) and let them soak about 20 minutes.  A quick rinse and they are clean, with no washing or scrubbing necessary!  It's amazing!  Good luck!

JoAnn Married almost 12 years to DH Chris.  DS1 01/05 DS2 09/09 DS3 05/12.

#7 of 10 Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 PM

My mother had this issued when I was a kid, in a house we moved into. She did the whole tub thang and it worked really well. The previous owner was an elderly woman who had cleaning help but, apparently, the blinds were not a part of that contract.

My mom used a rag, likely several as those blinds were nasty, and Murphy's Oil soap.

#8 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2amigos View Post

Taking them down may save you time.  I fill my bathtub with the hottest water I can, with some dish soap (Dawn) and let them soak about 20 minutes.  A quick rinse and they are clean, with no washing or scrubbing necessary!  It's amazing!  Good luck!

yep thats how I clean my blinds yearly.  You need the grease cutting soap (blue dawn) the original stuff.  unfortunately, when we moved into our rental the previous tenant had never cleaned the blinds and it was so thick and nasty in certain rooms it literally looked like dirty butter!  I  found that a commercial degreaser (dh got me an orange oil colored one at lowes-it said natural environmentally friendly but not sure if it really was) I sprayed the degreaser and literally the drips coming off of the blinds were dark brown it was completly stripping the nasty blinds in our temp. rental.  and then I followed up in the bath.  completely cleaned in under 2 hrs (with soaking)

#9 of 10 Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 PM

Window coverings stay with the house in CA and ours were never cleaned to my knowledge. I tried a variety of methods. Cleaning blinds IS a pain. Period. I ponied up and just did it. ;) I hauled blinds and windows (the part that moves) and screens into our shower. I cleaned with solutions of various types and rags. Both methods were messy, but in different ways. The shower was less messy overall, though. All that black filth just ran down the drain and it took time for the blinds to air-dry enough before carrying them back through the house.

The good news is once they are clean, it is pretty easy to keep them that way so you never have to drag them all over the house again. Close them and dust; then flip 'em the other way and dust. We do it monthly. Only takes a few minutes and our windows are HUGE (two @ 4.5x6 feet and three @ 5x5 feet and a 6-foot slider and an 8-foot slider). Eventually, I ditched the blinds on the sliders and one window. We have lightweight 100% cotton curtains on that window and one slider. (The curtains were only $20 at Ikea for two panels.) We replaced both sliders and one had the option of built-in blinds between the panes of glass. If I could, I would have these EVERYWHERE!!!! I love them so much!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#10 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 PM

we took ours outside, tossed them over the climber, and let little man go at it with the hose, lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007

Tags
Organizing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page