What is the square footage of your house or apartment? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 74 Old 07-15-2012, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

One adult (me) and four kids (14, 12, 10, 8).  We are about to move from a 2400sf split-level ranch (with a partially finished basement, extra-deep two-car garage, and two-room shed) to a 1400sf Victorian (with a partially finished attic and tiny one-car garage).

Our current house has three bedrooms -- girls share, boys share, and I have my own room.  800sf of our current house is the lower level, which is a huge recreation room (almost never used) and a canning kitchen/laundry room (used only for laundry).  I feel that space is all very underutilized.  We just don't need it. 

Our new house has three bedrooms but my oldest will be taking over the attic, his brother will have his own room (the small bedroom), the girls will share, and I'll have my own room.  We will also have a music room downstairs that will double as a guest room.  Somehow the new house feels just as spacious and useable as the old house.  We'll see if that is the case.

The old house also has two large bathrooms.  The new house has two very small bathrooms.  The usefulness is the same but with less square footage (though we will lose the second shower that we now enjoy)

Prior to this house, we lived in a 1100 sf condo (two adults and three kids aged 5, 3, 1).  We all shared a bedroom and the second bedroom was our office.  There was also a really nice unfinished basement for storage.  At the time I thought it was too small because most of our friends lived in McMansions.  But now I realize it was a good size for us at the time.  We would not have had enough bedrooms once the family bed was behind us though.

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10
#62 of 74 Old 07-15-2012, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Reading worthy's post reminded me of how our view of our space has changed over the last 10 years (same apt.) When the girls were little, we would have loved to have a basement play area, but did not. Their bedroom was fine for them to share. Now that they are older, we don't need the play area, but would love to have separate bedrooms, but don't.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#63 of 74 Old 07-15-2012, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our total living area is 1,568 sq ft- 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths- for 2 adults, one child, 2 indoor dogs and 3 indoor cats.

We spend a lot of time in our home and I think the size is mostly okay for us... maybe 1 room more would be good. If the basement were nicer to hang out in that would probably be enough.

When we moved to this house people were trying to give us furniture and stuff because they thought it was so much bigger than our old place. It really wasn't a different sized house but looks bigger because the layout is different.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#64 of 74 Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 PM

3100 square feet, 6 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths for a family of 5.  It is way too much space for us, we could downsize happily to about half of this if it was laid out right.  Wet got a steal in a new development though and had a hard time passing it up which I admittedly regret sometimes. 

Full Time Student & Mommy to 3 princesses! 9/03, 2/07 & 2/07

#65 of 74 Old 08-21-2012, 07:40 PM

We are two adults and a baby in a 1000 sq ft apartment with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a little deck and a small storage space off the deck. We all sleep in one bedroom and the master bedroom is half DH's hobby modeling space, an half the baby's playroom. My space is the master bathroom and walk in closet. It's a good size for us, but needs to be decluttered.

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#66 of 74 Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 AM

We are a family of three (about to be 4) and just moved from a 3500 sq ft house (4 br, 5 ba) to a 1600 sq ft house (3 br, 1.5 ba). I couldn't be happier. We were in the big house for three years and it was exciting at first, but we had waaaay to much under-utilized space and it was a pain to clean, and the toys - my god how they multiplied in all that space. We did some serious decluttering before the move. We now have the perfect amount of space that is a much better fit, with no unused rooms. We have an attached garage and a screened in back porch, and a lovely small fenced yard.

#67 of 74 Old 08-24-2012, 04:53 PM

A little under 1800 square feet with no basement for two adults, four kids (soon to be five) and three cats.  If I could find an ideally cut home, which I've been looking for but honestly seems like I'd have to design it myself, I probably could go even smaller.  However I'd have to cut down on my belongings to bare bones.  I honestly may wind up doing that eventually.  A lot of things, when breaking, aren't getting replaced.  

I've lived in a small 250+ square foot efficiency as a couple and I loved it.  I am a big fan of the 'tiny house' movement.  I once did a search for small homes, under 1500 square feet, which had 6 bedrooms.  DH thought I was being funny.  But, seriously, even in this house it's not cut 'efficiently' enough.  Who needs a foyer or a dining room?  Right now, with new kiddo coming, we're talking about enclosing our dining room.  It could be used as a fifth bedroom them.  And, if we ever sell (been here for a while) using french doors it would also be quite attractive as someone's office!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#68 of 74 Old 08-24-2012, 04:55 PM

900 sq ft apt

1 bed/ 1 bath, attached garage w/ driveway, w/ large outdoor space.

2 adults and 1 toddler

i love it :)

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#69 of 74 Old 08-25-2012, 06:33 PM

5000sq feet for 2 adults, 1 teen, 3 elementary-age and 1 baby......way tooooo big!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#70 of 74 Old 09-04-2012, 04:20 AM

2 adults, one six year old and a baby (4 month)- 500 sq which is really small, but works at the moment. rent is very high so we try to stay a little longer in a smaller place.

#71 of 74 Old 09-05-2012, 11:59 AM

We have just over 1000 sq ft - 2 adults, 2 kids (soon to be 3) and a cat, and I feel cramped. As a pp mentioned, storage or lack of really makes a difference! I need to buy a christmas tree this year and have no idea where we will store it!

Happy wife of Mr. Rabbit; proud momma to DS1 (07.07.09), DS2 (02.11.11) and expecting baby #3 01.27.13.

#72 of 74 Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM

My house is 1250sqft with 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (7 yr old boy, 4 yr old girl). I remind myself on a regular basis that boys and girls share rooms all the time and that most families in the world live in smaller homes than mine.

Kate~ Mama to two.
#73 of 74 Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 PM

210 sq ft! 30ft class A RV with three kids and two adults.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#74 of 74 Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 AM

We are a family of 5 & a cat.  We have 2 adults, and 4.5yr, 3yr & 8mo old children in 1200sq ft bungalow with an undeveloped basement.  We have no garage, but have some sheds and a 1/2 acre of land in a small village.  It's a 3 bedroom place with one bathroom.  We love the small house, it was built in the 30's or 40's (I can't remember right now) and has lots of character.  We're considering moving back to the city & renting though because of the commute for dh and the maintenance of this place.  :(  I'd be happy minimizing enough so that we can live in 1200sq ft without any basement/ outbuildings, in a rental.  

Tags
Simplifying , Organizing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page