What is the square footage of your house or apartment? - Mothering Forums
1 2  3 
Organize & Declutter > What is the square footage of your house or apartment?
taubel's Avatar taubel 07:21 PM 06-09-2012

Just curious what size space you all live in....

We live in a house which is somewhere between 1300 and 1400 square feet. We're in the process of bidding on house that is just under 2100 square feet, and I feel like it's HUGE, but I guess we'd grow into it quickly.

We are two adults and three kids ages 10, 8 and 5.

MamaLeslie's Avatar MamaLeslie 07:39 PM 06-09-2012

I have about 650 square feet on the main floor and about 550 somewhat usable sq feet in the basement. We are myself, two 10 year olds and a 7 year old.

bezark's Avatar bezark 08:02 PM 06-09-2012

I actually just measured the first floor yesterday since we're having our floors refinished soon.

Downstairs is just over 850sf, upstairs is probably about 700. Two adults, a 3 year old, a 3 month old, and a small dog.

It's actually too much space for us right now.

We'll be moving in about a year and we're looking for a smaller, more open ranch.

34me's Avatar 34me 08:09 PM 06-09-2012

3 teens (18, 16 in 2 weeks and 13), 2 adults and 2 decent sized dogs in about 968 sq ft.

SomethingAnonymous's Avatar SomethingAnonymous 09:09 PM 06-09-2012

about 1,000 sq feet - 3 bed, 2 bath

2 adults

3 kids - ages 6, 3 and a newborn soon

at the moment there is an extra bedroom, so it could be smaller but I think eventually the kids will need 2 rooms? Maybe not need, but it will probably be less crowded

Coconut Chronicles's Avatar Coconut Chronicles 09:33 PM 06-09-2012

Our house is 3200 sq ft with 4 bedrooms (plus an office/den) 3.5 baths. Two adults and one kiddo but we have lots of family and friends that visit so the guest rooms upstairs get used regularly. We like having the space.

Vancouver Mommy's Avatar Vancouver Mommy 09:39 PM 06-09-2012

We're just short of 1200 sq feet. We are two adults and two children. It's spread over three floors. The garage is too small for our car, but provides great storage, which I don't think we could do without.

Ellien C's Avatar Ellien C 03:15 AM 06-10-2012

House listed at 1,850 sq feet. We have 1 full-bath. 2 adults and 2 children live here. We also have a half-bath on the main floor. 

Katie T's Avatar Katie T 07:12 PM 06-10-2012

We have 1800 something. Most of the time I feel it is too big with 3 adults (my brother in law lives with us and has for the last 6 yrs) and our 3 children. But every other weekend we have BIL kids (2) and then it feels just right. If we ever bought again we would go smaller as our family is complete. 

Brees_Mama's Avatar Brees_Mama 10:35 PM 06-10-2012

How do you measure your house?

rnra's Avatar rnra 10:51 PM 06-10-2012

About 550 square feet--it's little, but I usually like it that way.

Drummer's Wife's Avatar Drummer's Wife 12:59 AM 06-11-2012
3K sq ft (5 bed/3 bath). We are a family of 6. It seems like a good size for us. We lived in much smaller spaces years ago, and I hated it.
DTmama1 07:31 AM 06-11-2012

About to move in to a 940 square foot apartment. Last one was probably 1000-1100? The size worked fine for us.

Two adults, two kids, and one more on the way. 

LitMom's Avatar LitMom 09:01 AM 06-11-2012

We're in about 600 now, but it's tight with two kids. The youngest is about ready to upgrade to a twin bed but there's not space in their bedroom to do it (can't do bunks in there either). If we were going to stick it out here longer, we'd have to move a kid to our bedroom and do a murphy bed thing in the living room for DH and I. Which a lot of people do in NYC. But we're in the process of selling and moving out of Manhattan. We're aiming for 1000 square feet and some outdoor space, which should work fine for us. When we visit relatives in giant places it feels really odd to me and I get a little... what's the opposite of claustrophobia? It just creeps me out sort of like movies about big empty hotels and grounds. 

Oliver's Mama's Avatar Oliver's Mama 01:39 PM 06-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brees_Mama View Post

How do you measure your house?

I looked at the real estate flyer from when we bought our house to find our square footage (963 ft for 2 adults, 2 kids).  If you don't have any records, you may be able to look up your house on www.zillow.com, or look for a neighboring house of similar floor plan that is on zillow or realtor.com

Just1More's Avatar Just1More 02:07 PM 06-11-2012
We have about 3k right now, and 3 acres. 4 bed, 2.5 bath. 2 adults, 5 kids. In two weeks we are moving to a 3 bed apartment 950 sq feet, no yard and no storage. I've been really lamenting the yard. I think that with the right floor plan, I could happily live in a very small place as long as we could get outside.
lilgreen's Avatar lilgreen 02:36 PM 06-11-2012

Approx. 900sqft. 2 adults, 3 kids.  2bdrms, 1bath, 2floors. I only wish we had a 1/2 bath downstairs.

thriftyqueen's Avatar thriftyqueen 03:28 PM 06-11-2012

My current house is 1550 sq. ft including the basement.  Up until exactly one year ago, we lived in a 3200 square feet house (including the basement).  Our house was flooded last summer and we were forced to evacuate and significantly downsize.  It is just my DH, my DS, and myself, but we loved having lots of room to roam and have space for our hobbies.  I feel completely stuffed into this house because we had large furniture for our large house and we are now cramming the large furniture into little rooms.  I have gotten rid of over half of our stuff and I could easily get rid of a lot more.  There is zero storage in this house, which makes it even more frustrating. 

Oliver's Mama's Avatar Oliver's Mama 04:01 PM 06-11-2012

I think the house size really has to be considered in it's context.   For example, our 963 sq ft home for 2 adults and 2 kids seems plenty, but with no yard, no garage, no storage, it makes it feel cramped.  If I had a backdoor (quite literally too) that I could just let the kids run out of, it'd be totally different.  I'd be happy with less square footage if I had options like a yard, somewhere to put bikes, etc.

kt~mommy's Avatar kt~mommy 04:30 PM 06-11-2012

we are in about 900 sq ft one bed, 1 bath very old home... just myself and 4 year old son, large dog and two cats. it seems cramped, but i have some serious decluttering work to do.  we do have a large yard and large garage so that helps a ton.  we are moving soon, hopefully putting an offer on a larger (and much less expensive) place this week.

honeybee80's Avatar honeybee80 04:58 PM 06-11-2012

My apartment is 575 square feet.  It's me and my 2 kids.  Good layout, enough storage, and I like the cozy feel :)

Storm Bride's Avatar Storm Bride 06:02 PM 06-11-2012

We have 1250 sq.ft., about evenly split between upstairs and downstairs.
There are 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (but the downstairs bathroom is just a toilet and sink, and is about the size of a closet).

This is a townhouse, with no outside storage or yard. There are six of us - three adults (ds1 is 19), and three kids. We'll need to move at some point, because the ages and genders of our children and the bedrooms we have available just don't work. The kids are B: 19, G: 9, B: almost 7, G: almost 3.  We have the youngest three in the biggest bedroom, which is okay for now, but dd1 is getting more touchy about her privacy, and sharing with her little brother isn't going to work for more than another year or two. Since I don't think ds1 will move out until he finishes school (April, 2014), we don't have anywhere to put her! I think we may get a screen, so she can partition off her side of the room when she wants to.

We also have a lot of decluttering to do. We got rid of quite a bit about a year ago, then our progress sputtered out. DD1 and ds2 are homeschooling, so we also have a ton of books, papers, craft supplies, art projects, etc. taking up space. (Right now, my small kitchen area is partially occupied by a model volcano and a bunch of butterfly chrysalises.)

thegoodearth's Avatar thegoodearth 07:39 PM 06-11-2012

We live in 1870 sq ft home (including a finished basement) with a garage and a good size backyard. We are 2 adults, 1 2yo and a new one due any day. I think its a good size for us. Hosting big indoor play dates is a bit of a challenge b/c of the layout of the main level. BUt on nice days we have a great backyard for having large groups of people. I agree with a pp --- having a yard and a garage / attic storage can do a lot to make a place feel less cramped (or more spacious depending on how you look at it wink1.gif

greenemami's Avatar greenemami 08:40 PM 06-11-2012

We have about 1000 sqft for 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 kids, plus a dog and cat :) We have 3 bedrooms and 1 (tiny) bathroom.  The layout is a little odd, but it is doable, especially with all the decluttering I have done recently.  We do have a large yard which makes it much more doable, particularly in the summer.  I wouldn't mind another 500 sq ft, but never really wanted a huge house.

Choose2Reuse's Avatar Choose2Reuse 09:46 PM 06-11-2012

We are in an apartment with 960 square feet (including a great big balcony) and it's huge for two adults and a baby, though the baby loooooooves to explore it all.  Right now we're not using the second bedroom at all except to store boxes as we unpack.  On the other hand, we have long-term houseguests coming (a lot of them) so we will put that bedroom and guest bathroom to good use in a little while!

skreader's Avatar skreader 10:14 PM 06-11-2012

Officially our flat is 1120 sq feet, but it's "efficiency" meaning  "usable space" is (I think) 88%/, which makes it 985.6.  We have 3 bedrooms, a living-room-dining-room, a kitchen, a small room that is designed to be a domestic-helper's room (w/ bath) that we now use as a combination pantry and laundry room. This is considered a large flat in Hong Kong.

We're two adults, and 2 teenagers and it's fine. We also have a roof-top where we can hang out our laundry (when it's not raining), BBQ, and grow herbs and veg in containers.

AmiMom's Avatar AmiMom 07:07 AM 06-12-2012

1800 sq + 950 unfinished in the dry usable basement. We have three kiddos. It works well for us, but I was a little worried when we first moved in about cleaning. It's worked out so far, just had to get used to it and make a schedule.

Ginger Borshov's Avatar Ginger Borshov 10:53 AM 06-12-2012

You can see the square footage on your county auditor's website. Just google it and type in your address.

Ginger Borshov's Avatar Ginger Borshov 10:54 AM 06-12-2012

2,300sf for 6 people. Two kids, my husband and I, and my husbands' parents.

OkiMom's Avatar OkiMom 07:18 PM 06-12-2012

So our house is 1050 sq feet but it includes 180 sq ft of "non usable" space (they included the porch and storage room as part of the space, the storage room is not usable) so really its 870 sq ft.. We have 3 kids (soon to be four) ages 5, 3, 1 and to be born in October.. then hubby, me, a cat and a rather large dog. It works for now since all the kids want to sleep in the same room but I think we will outgrow it within a few years (I'd like to separate the boys and girls or the littles and bigs by the time my oldest is 8)..

Tags: Simplifying , Organizing
1 2  3 

Up