How long do you keep paper records? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-14-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just recycled a ton of paperwork. My house is full of paper - it's everywhere. How long to you keep your paper records such as bills, check stubs, insurance information, rent/mortgage information, bank statements, etc?

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#2 of 3 Old 06-15-2012, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

To stop the inflow to begin with, I would recommend setting up auto-pay for as many bills/insurance as possible, which comes with the perk of no paper.  Even if you still want to manually pay each month, most bills can now be paperless.. just look for fine print on your bills or on their website.

With that, I don't keep any paper monthly bills or bank statements.  I keep the current year's insurance policy statements.. one per policy, since that seems to be the only thing I occasionally need to show physical proof of. Taxes are 7 years.  If there's a one-time paper bill like for a doctor visit or the license plate,  I'll keep the stub till I see the payment has cleared at the bank, but again, many of those kinds of bills can now be paid online too.

MrsMike likes this.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#3 of 3 Old 06-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

I keep them for one year, if they are not part of my tax return information.  The statements from banks, etc. get ditched at that same time, except the end-of-year tax statements .  Tax paperwork, excluding 1040, get worm-binned after 3 years.  1040 forms get kept indefinitely.  Property tax info we keep indefinitely as well.

Warranties, etc. get kept until they are defunct.  Receipts get chucked as well at that time.

I keep one copy of the rundown of our house insurance benefits, which they send once a year or so.  

As for paperless stuff, if it involves yet one more password to memorize, online account to set up, etc., forget it.  I hate that.  We end up printing the statements anyway because I don't store stuff on the computer, and that is a serious drain on printer ink.  I would much rather have them pay to send me a paper bill/statement.

I've started just to divide stuff into piles: stuff that gets chucked next year, stuff for taxes, then a pile for more or less permanent stuff that gets sorted every few years.  Anything more specific just hasn't seemed necessary.  Then again, we don't have a lot and haven't had much need to go mining for a specific piece of paper.

MrsMike likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Tags
Simplifying , Decluttering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page