Simple bed platform - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-16-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone have suggestions for a simple (cheap) low bed platform?

We sleep in the basement in the summer but have had issues with dampness. We just use twin mattresses from ikea.

I thought I saw something at ikea last year, like wire triangles that went with the wooden slats, but can't find it now

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#2 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Googled enough to find it
The Ikea tolga bed frame, but can't find it on the store website

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I made one for similar reasons. Three parallel pine sleepers with hardwood slats screwed across the top (basically a futon). The platform height is about 15cm (6 inches).

If you don't want to DIY, you might find a store bought futon is suitable.

#4 of 6 Old 06-25-2012, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2 of our 3 beds are homemade platforms - we went the plywood and 2x4's route.  It's surprisingly easy - all the cuts you need can be made at the lumber store, so it only requires a drill and some long, sturdy screws - we used deck screws.  For sturdier posts, we doubled up on 2x4's, held together with Gorilla glue, then screwed them to the platform using two screws.  

The twin bed only needed 4 posts, but the king has 3 extras, forming a middle row - this may be overkill, but we have a tempurpedic mattress and the weight of it destroyed our previous Ikea bed, so we weren't taking any chances.  Bonus:  we were able to construct the bed to suit the height of the bins we wanted to store underneath.

Pros:  cheap and sturdy, easy, fast (we built two in two hours, not counting the previous day's trip to the lumber store and overnight Gorilla glue setting)

Cons:  we used raw wood and did nothing to finish it, but it doesn't show, so...I'd had some thoughts on wrapping the legs with rope for a decorative touch, but decided not to bother

H.

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#5 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I noticed that home depot sells precut wood slats for beds. So if you want to diy without too much diy-ing, you could buy those in the twin size length and just attach them to something. For instance, you could screw a series of bedslats on top of a 2X4 on each side. Then set it on something like milk crates or attach feet or legs, even just wheels, underneath to the 2X4s. 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#6 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I've seen lots of pallet beds on Pinterest, which would be essentially free (if you can find untreated pallets).

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

Tags
Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page