Storing down comforters for the summer with limited closet space - how to? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-19-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sometimes I heat fluff and de-lint them in the dryer and then wrap them in flat sheets, and label with masking tape, and then cram them into drawers (1 per), or stack them in closets where they fall over a lot and take up so much space. Other ideas? And do you store them in their covers, or store those separately?

Thanks.

(I'm not yet ready to give them up, love them so in the winter...)

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#2 of 12 Old 06-19-2012, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just fold it best I can and shove it on a shelf in my hall closet. It has a duvet that I just leave on it.

I stopped using it in may and will probably break it out late September. Maybe more of an issue if it would be sitting longer, but it's 20 yrs old and doing well despite cats and kids.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 12 Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 PM

The vacuum space saver bags work really well for this.
#4 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 AM

You can vacuum the air out with them in a garbage bag, too. I fold them, stuff them in a bag, and deflate them. Then they take up a lot less space.

#5 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Oh what??? A vacuum and a garbage bag? Great! I love solutions that get around the marketing of a must-have new product. I did try to fall in love with the space bags that they sell for this purpose but I found the plastic too fragile and the ziplocks not locking.

Just about to pull the first ones from the dryer - will get my garbage bags and vacuum ready!

MamaLeslie likes this.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#6 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

update - hmmm, the vacuum part didn't work, but the garbage bag part did. I folded 2 inside a large study bag and knelt on it and smoothed out a lot of air and taped the opening closed.  But I think the slippery quality on the shelf... not so much.

#7 of 12 Old 06-21-2012, 05:48 PM

Sorry for the less than helpful suggestion. I must gave a super-powered vacuum! Nice improvising! My closet has a wrap around shelf, and I can kinda wedge them in so they don't fall. Hmm... I will think on ways to keep them from slipping off the shelf.

#8 of 12 Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

not at all - it was inspiring! I love the aspect of not buying something NEW to make a solution. 

#9 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 PM

Can you pack it away inside an empty suitcase?

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#10 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 PM

We have a heavier comforter for "winter" (this is San Diego) and an extra-lightweight down "blanket" for summer. Whichever one we are not using is stored in a pillow case on the top of our closet where nothing else would likely be anyway...on the very top of a stack of long, flat boxes that would ordinarily be under the average person's bed. LOL I prefer to have a clear space under our bed. We sleep better that way.

The winter comforter requires two king-size pillow cases. I use the jersey knit ones where we repurposed the sheets since we did not like them for sleeping. We fold the freshly aired and sun-freshened comforter (hung out on the line in the hot spring sun for several hours) as tightly as possible and cram it into one case, then push and pull and cram it the opposite way into the second case so the entire comforter is covered. This compresses it significantly and avoids plastic.

The summer down blanket fits in either two regular size pillow cases the same way or just one of the king cases above and fold the end over to discourage spiders and such.

We store all of our travel gear in our largest suitcase. Otherwise, I love that idea!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#11 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

The winter comforter requires two king-size pillow cases. I use the jersey knit ones where we repurposed the sheets since we did not like them for sleeping. 

Great repurposing! But I guess it wouldn't count as simplifying if I have to buy some new jersey linens... Love this idea. That material sticks to the shelf too, more or less.

Our suitcases are also holding other suitcases, but if they weren't - also cool.

#12 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 06:35 PM

Probably not, but perhaps a thrift store find would be okay? Or asking around? The fabric does indeed "stick" or "grab" the surface nicely, which is precisely why we did not care for them as sheets. LOL

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Tags
Organizing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page