One month organization challenge - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 108 Old 07-27-2012, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Our common denominator here seems to be back-of-the-door hooks! We have a bunch because we have little space for clothes. The girls use the ones in their room for hoodies - we have a lot of those because they are good for layering, particularly when they are in school. They don't wear sweaters in the winter. Another over-the-door hanging shelf in their closet is for school t-shirts, uniforms, pajamas.

I haven't even been keeping up with my regular cleaning, let alone doing extra organizing lately. I keep getting job after job, so I'm making hay while the sun shines and hopefully socking away some extra money for back to school.

Can we keep this thread running even after July? It's great to keep these ideas at the forefront of my mind so that I can implement when I have the time.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 108 Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Can we keep this thread running even after July? It's great to keep these ideas at the forefront of my mind so that I can implement when I have the time.

I'd like to also...I have much more I would like to do.

#93 of 108 Old 07-27-2012, 03:07 PM

Me, too! I would like to actually FINISH my craft re-org in the office.

Meanwhile, I actually cleaned the top of my vanity yesterday and the top of the cabinet where I store many creations. They were already decluttered from earlier, but I took the step of grabbing a rag and the spray bottle of vinegar & water... ;)

Last night, I strained my double-infused arnica oil and my experimental plumeria coconut oil. I moved my double-infused rose oil outside yesterday and pulled it in this morning to strain, but it hasn't made it into the strainer yet... LOL There is a bit of a mess in the kitchen to clean up from these endeavors and others. My DD and I made hair detangler last night, which necessitated pulling down some things from an upper shelf in the pantry, which started a different project, which led to another project, which didn't all get cleaned up..... ;)

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#94 of 108 Old 07-27-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
 My DD and I made hair detangler last night, which necessitated pulling down some things from an upper shelf in the pantry, which started a different project, which led to another project, which didn't all get cleaned up..... ;)

I know how that is!

I did a huge cleaning/organization of our master BR and playroom today. So happy with myself. biggrinbounce.gif

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

#95 of 108 Old 07-28-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Me, too! I would like to actually FINISH my craft re-org in the office.

Another thing I need to do!

#96 of 108 Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

I am doing no organization today.  It is a beautiful day here - instead of horribly hot like it has been all summer. 

I am cutting grass - and s/b pulling weeds in the veggie garden and the landscape but I am not going to. 

I am washing all the bedding and hanging it outside (which I guess falls under organization/cleaning)

The kids and I are going for a bike ride - to the library, bakery, etc.

Then we are going blueberry picking - at a blueberry farm.

Then blackberry picking - at my uncle's house.

I plan to spend the entire day outside.

When my husband gets home, the kids want to set up a 'restaurant' outside for dinner.  We are hoping for clear skies this evening so we can pull out the telescope. 

So...organization is delayed for at least a day.

Enjoy your day!!

#97 of 108 Old 07-29-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my day did not go as planned yesterday. My daughter had a horrible day - so no bike riding or blueberry picking. I got the beds stripped, the grass cut and the blackberries picked but none of that was fun for the kids. So my husband took them out last night.

We have made progress on my daughter's room. One evening last night we went through her closet. It didn't take long and it looks much better. Today we got everything of the floor and she went through two big baskets of 'little stuff' deciding what to keep and where to keep it. (feathers, rocks, party invites, valentines, etc.) She is done for the day, so another day we will go through her desk (inside and the top) and organize and dust her shelves - which should be easy.

I am disappointed that the previously organized playroom already looks a mess, but I need to remember we have to live in the house and that our organizing/decluttering should result in quicker clean-ups.

These are 'before' photos of my daughter's room  (I cannot believe we let it get this messy.  I am trying to find be balance between honoring her personal space and keeping the room from looking like it belongs on an episode of 'Horders'.)...

eta...My daughter is the one who wanted to post the photos (otherwise I would not post the kids rooms).  She is aware of this thread and wants to show you the results when she is finished with her room.

#98 of 108 Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 PM

Looking forward to seeing the "after" pics! :)

I cleaned out the concoction cabinet in our master bedroom over a couple days. Wasn't on my list, but needed to be done and I am so happy! I tossed out a few old store-bought toiletry items that I doubt I have ever used and clearly never will. And.... now I have room for more homemade potions! LOL (I'm not actually making more, but rather moving raw materials from another area in order to keep them all in "cool, dark areas"...)

I have taken so long to get back to the craft re-org that the cat has made a bigger mess for me. Sigh. At least someone is enjoying it. ;)

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#99 of 108 Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Looking forward to seeing the "after" pics! :)

We may never get to the 'after' photo!

It was looking pretty good.  But yesterday my son and daughter built tents and forts all around the house.  Tonight my daughter, son and niece decided to 'decorate' for a disco party.   It's amazing how quickly they can mess up a room.  They've cleaned it up, but their idea of picked up and organized is not mine.

#100 of 108 Old 07-31-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

We may never get to the 'after' photo!

It was looking pretty good.  But yesterday my son and daughter built tents and forts all around the house.  Tonight my daughter, son and niece decided to 'decorate' for a disco party.   It's amazing how quickly they can mess up a room.  They've cleaned it up, but their idea of picked up and organized is not mine.

The same thing happened in my house the last few days! My DD was preparing for a "dance show" in my house, and well...I let it get a little out of hand. The last few days have been very stressful, so I've let it go until tomorrow. I always feel like I take one step forward, and two steps back.

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

#101 of 108 Old 08-04-2012, 07:06 AM

This may become a summer challenge for me instead.......(or a 18 year challenge until my kids go to college orngtongue.gif) I actually got the pictures put away. That has been bugging me for so long it feels great to have that done.
This week I have to tackle my craft and art stuff and force myself to downsize. I got some awesome cube storage shelves from freecycle I'm going to use for toys in the play room.
The biggest challenge has been my room. It's not that big but we have myself, my husband, a 15 month old and a 6 month old all sleeping in there (plus a puggle and at least 1 of 3 cats ) and everyone's stuff ends up all over. I really want to fix that because it's not relaxing at all to have clutter everywhere. It's always the last room I get to because well, no one sees it. I just need a whole day to go through and get rid of stuff and organize what I need.
#102 of 108 Old 08-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Looking at these lists I just realized I have made some progress last month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyssaneala View Post

My priorities:

- Downstairs desk - Not finished, but made a lot of progress

- Home Office - work in progress

- DD's books

- DD's closet

- my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyssaneala View Post

I came across a great little article in my mom's All You magazine that is aligned with where I'm at now organizing wise, so I've changed my plan for the month. I did organize DD's books before we left for the beach, and I will *hopefully* clean my car when we return home on Sunday. Then I'm going to try a once-a-day small clean-up, using the list from April's All You, starting mid-July and finishing mid-August. There are a few I know I can not do in one day (shredding unneccessary papers!!), but most of them actually seem doable.

My 30-day plan to banish clutter:

1. Create a central drop zone (we've lived in our new house for a year and I still haven't done this)

2. Weed out overstuffed coat closet

3. Stop shoe pile-up (I tackled this last month, so I think I'm just going to add a spot to store slippers by the door)

4. Purge your pantry

5. Establish food zones (I need to do this every few months, does anyone else's pantry go downhill quickly?)

6. Streamline spices - waiting for my new spice cabinet to come in the mail

7. Freshen the fridge

8. Tidy under the sink

9. Unify utensils

10. De-junk a drawer

11. Gather manualas and warranties into a single binder (this is already done, but I have a few that need to be added to it)

12. Create a command center (in one day, yeah right! But I'll at least start it and find a home to stash it!)

13. Get shredding (for me, this means working on scanning and paperless goal)

14. Put a label on it - files (since we are going paperless, this will be my day off from banishing clutter)

15. Tackle the magazine pile

16. Give electronic odds and ends a home

17. Wrangle your wires (we're good on this front...another day off!)

18. Rank your products - organize cleaning supplies.

19. Sort out linens (not needed - day off!)

20. Attack the bedroom closet (this will be DD's closet)

21. Prioritize footwear

22. Address dresser top (our dresser is fine, so I will target downstairs desk instead...our biggest problem spot)

23. Untangle jewelry

24. Organize kid's books (Done! But will probably have to address this by the time the 24th day rolls around!)

25. Corral stuffed animals (Will do a general tidy up of playroom)

26. Clean out medicine cabinet

27. Organize toiletries

28. Clear out the garage (we're okay on this front)

29. Go vertical - hang gear on wall (we do this to an extent, could probably do a little more)

30. Relax and enjoy clutter free home!

#103 of 108 Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM

I finally got to clearing the office floor last night!!!! My DD has a friend with us all day today, so I decided to clear the office floor FAST with my DH's help. I would take so much longer to analyze each and every item, so I asked him to please sit on the floor and just hand me like items (I had already organized the mess into piles of like items). It went pretty darn quick, but the end result is not exactly what I wanted...the closet is not any less full than before, but the lower shelves are all organized and the top shelf is crammed full of like items. LOL I'll have to revisit this project another time, but at least the office is clear and easy to walk in and around, etc. Even my desk got cleared off!

I did throw away a bag full of actual trash, and recycle another bag full of plastics/cardboard, and gave away a bag full of items I no longer want/need.

#104 of 108 Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 AM

Finally got some organization done - whoo hoo! I agree that this is an ongoing challenge!

Over the past week, I had my kids clean out their "landing pads" - areas by the back door where we put school bags. We also sorted and organized shoes. We have about a bag to give away. Then this weekend DH and I cleaned out the girls' art/homework shelf, plus our bedroom closet. More bags of stuff gone. Our bedroom and bathroom is about at the minimalist level I like. I need to clean a couple of things off of my nightstand, but then I'm happy. Then probably on to the dreaded hallway shelf...

How are the rest of you doing? Back to school yet?

#105 of 108 Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 PM

We have been cleaning our house every weekend for a couple months now and it is in so much better shape!!! We have a charity pick-up on Thursday and have a big pile-up right inside the living room since the foyer is too small. Our kitchen table has too many herbs and concoctions, too. Otherwise, though, our house is clean and liveable (not showroom clean! LOL).

Due to the extreme heat lately, our front yard plants in pots are dead :( and the backyard resembles an overgrown jungle. I'll work on those when it cools down. ;)

#106 of 108 Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 AM

I hope this challenge is still going on. I NEED  to do this!!

I have started today. Decluttered kitchen island

Before:

After:

I will list my goals later. Have to go pick up kids.

treehugger.gif Wife of over 10 years to hard working DH and Mom to DS (25)violin.gif,DD1 (10)joy.gif and : DD2 (6)joy.gif 
#107 of 108 Old 10-15-2012, 04:26 PM

Well, I think my 30 day challenge is more like 30 months. ROTFLMAO.gif

We are making progress on our home office. I just posted pics in another thread, but we painted the closet, installed shelving, and I am slowly weeding through the out of control papers and organizing craft supplies. Our ultimate goal is to move most of DD's educational workbooks, games, etc on to the shelving above our built-in desk in the great room downstairs. To do this, I first have to sort through the massive piles of stuff on said desk, and move it upstairs into the newly renovated closet (or scan it into our paperless filing system). Ahhh...I really, really hate paper clutter!

We have managed to keep our main desk clear of clutter for the past month, and I just re-established my daughter's art/craft table. I keep it fairly bare bones, but change out the activities almost daily. She loves coming home from school to see what new 'work' (we're a Montessori family) awaits her! (btw, I'm incredibly proud of the leaf lacing work I made out of foam sheets. I'm not the craftiest of people, and this turned out to be an incredibly easy mini-project!)

#108 of 108 Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 PM

We're Montessori too. Good job with the leaf lacing work. Love that!!

treehugger.gif Wife of over 10 years to hard working DH and Mom to DS (25)violin.gif,DD1 (10)joy.gif and : DD2 (6)joy.gif 

Tags
Organizing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page