One month organization challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 108 Old 06-30-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Would anyone like to join a one month organization challenge?

My sister and I started today...she has already stopped and I am moving slowly.  We need motivation!

I have been decluttering for years and do not have too much to get rid of, but my previously organized spaces have become a mess with use and need a good organization and clean up.  I like to periodically organize (like the fridge/pantry before shopping trips or the closets when season change) but I have been neglecting these areas the past year.  And some of these areas are constantly being reorganized...so, I might need to get rid of more 'stuff'.

These are the areas I would like to organize by the end of July:

#1 the pantry
#2 master closet
#3 dressers, nightstands, and desk in master bedroom
#4 the workshop
#5 paperwork and kid's projects
#6 garage
#7 craft stuff
#8 daughter's closet
#9 kitchen junk drawer
#10 black desk in living room
#11 coat closet (includes gloves, hats, etc.)
#12 car

I started the pantry earlier today and I took the photos now - I have a long way to go.

DSC_0167.JPG

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 108 Old 06-30-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

ok...I feel like a bit of a looser being in a challenge by myself redface.gif.

But...putting it out here made me pick up the pace and I finished the pantry.  (I managed to make a mess in the kitchen with items I an donating to the food pantry or plan to use up this week...so I am off to clean up the kitchen.)

I am going to try to go back to my monthly habit of reorganizing the pantry on co-op pickup day so I do not end up with this mess again.

after photos:

DSC_0170.JPGDSC_0171.JPG

#3 of 108 Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I would like to join! wave.gif

I think the best way for me to participate would be to try to do a small piece every day (say, at least 15 min. of decluttering, more if possible) throughout the month, except on the days we will be away in July (maybe 5 or so). It's a busy month workwise, so if I don't do small chunks I probably won't do anything, and some of this has waited long enough.

I need to do:

* Office supplies (I work at home)

* Volunteering paperwork in office (3x)

* Craft supplies in office - possible put some down in the basement

* Office closet (major reorganization was done 2 yrs. ago, but needs a "tune-up")

* Hallway shelving - maybe do one shelf/day & find better system for paperwork

* Kitchen open shelves - declutter

* Kitchen cabinet under toaster

* Drawers in dining room (5)

* Drawers in kids' bathroom (with/by the kids)

Got started yesterday by arranging to pay my older child to organize some papers for me - she is supposed to finish the pile by Friday.

You might like this site: http://www.365lessthings.com/ Also, I have found it helpful to arrange for a charity pickup once a month & just clear stuff straight out to the curb. Thanks for starting this thread!!

PS Nice pantry!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#4 of 108 Old 07-01-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Ragana,

I'm glad to have someone else working on this - hopefully we can keep each other motivated.

I'll check out the site you linked.

Regarding donations...In the past I kept a box in my minivan and whenever it filled I dropped it off at the donation center right here in town and I kept children's clothing boxes for specific families and gave it to them whenever I saw them.  But the past year I was saving everything for a yard sale for a charity I volunteer with.  This meant I needed to store it all.  The sale was in June, and we are not doing it again so I am going back to my box method.   Sometimes for large items I just do a curb alert on Craigslist.  The Amvets truck comes down our street once a month...but I have never contacted them to pick up at my house.  It is a good idea.

#5 of 108 Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 AM

Dbsam - Your pantry looks awesome (and super well-stocked)! 

I'd love to join in, too. Here's my list for the month:

-file/paperwork organization (apparently waaaay behind since I just found paperwork from 2010...)

-DS's drawers (take out out-of-season clothing, reorganize)

-DS closet 

-linen closet

-laundry room

-organize pantry

-organze downstairs/cleaning closet

-organizing media console drawers

Not as long as either of your lists, but it'll be plenty to keep me and my pregnant-nesting hormones happy for the month. :)

#6 of 108 Old 07-01-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfulmama View Post

Dbsam - Your pantry looks awesome (and super well-stocked)! 

I'd love to join in, too. Here's my list for the month:

Glad to have you join!

My pantry was a little more stocked than I realized redface.gif...the mess caused me to over buy because I didn't realize all I had.  Plus I buy in bulk to save a little $$ and for convenience. 

#7 of 108 Old 07-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Willfulmama - Glad I'm not the only one who finds paperwork from 2 years ago! I file taxes both personally and for my business, so at least that gets sorted regularly. I think I can actually throw out a bunch of papers from the early 2000s and just keep the returns and other important bits since it's been longer than 7 years. This kind of crap plus "sentimental stuff" and general detritus is what is on the hall shelves!

Today's decluttering = small, but gave me some peace of mind. I installed my new battery back-up/surge protector for my computer (you plug all your stuff into that instead of into the wall to protect from electrical surges and blackouts). The stormy-looking skies kicked my butt to do this today. So that is one largish box that won't be hanging around the office taking up space, plus I just feel better having it installed.

dbsam - I totally want to make dinner out of your pantry!

#8 of 108 Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Glad I'm not the only one who finds paperwork from 2 years ago!

dbsam - I totally want to make dinner out of your pantry!

I have tons of paperwork too and haven't filed my taxes yet (and I was an accountant prior to being a SAHM bag.gif).

I wish you could make us dinner - I hate cooking!   I keep reading the veggie dinner thread to get ideas.

No organizing yet today. My husband and I worked out in the yard moving plants and bushes that s/n/b moved this time of year.  But we are having work done on the front of the house and they were in the way.  I was glad when the storms rolled in and forced us to stop - but it got a little frightening for a a minute.  We had the kids and critters go into the basement.

#9 of 108 Old 07-03-2012, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Ragana and Willfulmama,

Are you organizing?

I have not been organizing.  Our AC broke Sunday.  It is very hot here and I am not motivated in the heat.  Two companies tried to repair it yesterday...no luck...so I am getting estimates today to replace the system.  It may be hot in our house for a while so I will be doing the bare minimum.

#10 of 108 Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 AM

In my own small way! As I said in my intro, July will be very busy workwise, plus we are taking a few short trips. So yesterday after work and before I went to bed, I sorted through a mound of papers on the offending hall shelves & got it down to the essentials that need to be filed. And found a few more matters I need to add to my to-do list (emissions test for car, etc.) dizzy.gif I need to decide what my mini-decluttering project will be today...

dbsam - Good luck with the air conditioning!

PS I think I am following that "X's on the calendar" method Jerry Seinfeld has talked about - do something toward a goal every day, put an X on the calendar, and pretty soon you will not want to miss making an X, so you will keep doing it.

#11 of 108 Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 AM

Oh, I so need some motivation! I also need some time. LOL This is a busy month, but really I just need to do something, anything towards organizing our house again. Sigh. I used to be so good at this.

Okay, here's my list:

~ Put away little project piles in living room; clear off stairs. (I already took care of recycling the boxes from a recent volunteer project before even reading this! :) )

~ Finishing clearing projects from the kitchen table and counter. (These are very small, space-wise, but require time/effort to complete.)

~ Straighten up studio (sewing supplies + herbal remedy supplies).

~ Clear off my vanity in our master bedroom (makeup project I got distracted from + empty bottles & small supplies for homemade toiletries); put away stuff on floor (bigger homemade toiletry supplies).

~ And, the big one....which I may not finish, but would at LEAST like to get started on....my craft supplies in our family office. I have the window nook + part of the closet + one tall narrow Ikea cabinet + the bottom half of the TV shelving unit, yet the floor is overrun with my supplies from an all day crop back in MAY! EEK!

If I wasn't more concerned about our main living level (first three bullet points) and sleeping better at night (next bullet point), I could literally spend the entire month in the office alone. It really needs an overhaul. Sigh. I have another all day crop later in the month (YIPPEEE!) and my scrapbook friends have ALL recently organized their rooms/spaces. So out of character for them; and for me since I usually am the most organized of the bunch. LOL

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#12 of 108 Old 07-04-2012, 04:52 AM

No decluttering yesterday unless you count sorting a drawer and tossing the expired coupons... whistling.gif

I also revisited an article I'd been keeping about paper organization, which suggests a master in-box and then Do Now, Do Later, and File boxes & a quick daily sort to keep up with it. I think I will try that. I have a stacking organizer with three sections that would work for the latter.

#13 of 108 Old 07-04-2012, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

No organizing here either.  Still no AC...we should have gotten a hotel but I was worried about the animals.  I found someone to watch our piggies so I might be able to find a hotel for today/tonight that will allow dogs.  I had seven estimates lined up this week but hired the first company because they can start tomorrow at 8:00am. 

So...my next project will probably be the basement workshop since I need to rearrange somethings down there anyway so they can install the new units.

Enjoy your 4th (if you are in the US) and if not...enjoy your Wednesday!

#14 of 108 Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 AM

I haven't been able to do much of any organization so far. My toddler and I are currently at odds with what we consider "clean." It's sometimes a struggle just to make sure the house is clean at the end of the day.. much less organized! lol

Hopefully, though, I'll be able to work on organizing some of these later today. Fingers crossed!

#15 of 108 Old 07-04-2012, 08:09 AM

I really need to organize my whole kitchen.  I think I'll work on that this month!

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#16 of 108 Old 07-04-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My toddler and I are currently at odds with what we consider "clean." It's sometimes a struggle just to make sure the house is clean at the end of the day.. much less organized! lol

My children just turned eight and I have the same problem!  I do the day to day things like laundry, vacuuming, etc. and never get to the organizing.

#17 of 108 Old 07-04-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

My children just turned eight and I have the same problem!  I do the day to day things like laundry, vacuuming, etc. and never get to the organizing.

Noooo! I was hoping someone would tell me it gets better! :)

I spend at least two hours a day just cleaning--an hour after I get off work before we make dinner and then an hour after DS goes to bed. Ideally, if there's extra time in those hours, I try to organize/declutter something but lately, it's taken me that long just to undo what he does during the day... and that's in addition to the time my husband puts in during the morning when he's watching DS before he goes to work.

Though I don't feel that my house is disorganized for lack of trying, perhaps I'm just going about things the wrong way. It just seems like sometimes, we can't put a dent in things no matter what we do.

#18 of 108 Old 07-04-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Noooo! I was hoping someone would tell me it gets better! :)

Well...we could just be a messy family and I have become sort of lazy...so you might be fine!

Really, when mine are in school there is no reason I shouldn't be able to get it all done (I do not work).  I spend too much time on volunteering obligations with a few groups.   I've decided to cut back this year and concentrate a little more on my own family.

#19 of 108 Old 07-04-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post
  I spend too much time on volunteering obligations with a few groups.   I've decided to cut back this year and concentrate a little more on my own family.

I WAHM, but feel the same way. I cut out my most time-consuming volunteer gig for the fall and am looking forward to earning more by working during that time or being able to catch up on household stuff on Saturdays and then take Sundays off.

#20 of 108 Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 AM

I think all moms must be time-short. I've found the only way for me to feel like I've got a good handle on the day is if I make a point to wake up an hour (at least) earlier than everyone else. That way, I've got time alone to organize my day, myself and to make a plan for what needs to be done.

I envy both of you for having volunteer gigs! It's hard to be able to commit time away from your family and all the other projects that life involves.. So, kudos to you both! 

I spent about two hours on Wednesday organizing paperwork. Now, the only bits remaining are odds and ends that at this point, I need to consider if it's something that's really worth saving since I don't have an obvious home for them. I think there's one more paper stash hidden in the spare bedroom, but I plan on tackling that this weekend. I don't have before pictures but hopefully I'll get some "after" pictures this weekend.

Not sure how many of you are familiar with Tsh Oxenreider, the author of Simply Organized, but she has a new e-book out called "One Bite at a Time," all about how to get started organizing all those little collections. Though the ebook is only $5, I was happy to see that there was a list of the projects included in the book. You can go here (http://52bites.com/download/) and scroll down a little ways--there's a little chart with the projects so at least you know what is focused on.  Anyway, I thought maybe that would be useful for anyone looking for inspiration or their next organization project. :)

#21 of 108 Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

We have a cool house this morning joy.gif.

So...I can get back to work.  Since I was hanging out in the basement a lot this week I have organized some of the paperwork and kid's artwork and some of the workshop so the HVAC guys could work in there.  (But I didn't do too much because the 102-103 temps were making me move slowly...even in the cooler basement.) 

#22 of 108 Old 07-06-2012, 08:23 AM

I have done pathetically little so far:

~ I started one of the kitchen table projects and it is still mid-process (draining an oil infusion).

~ I put away a few herbs from the studio table and kitchen that I think I am finished with for awhile.

Meanwhile, I have been organizing my calendar. LOL My DD is still in elementary school until later this month; then, a 6-week break before she starts middle school. I looked up the new school calendar and bell schedule and entered it all into my computer calendar. Also looked up the dress code and had DD give me a "fashion show" of all the non-long-sleeve clothes she owns on Tuesday. I took notes and we know she needs certain items. She showed me her shoes yesterday. Still need to finish the long-sleeve tops, jackets, panties, and socks. We used the same list to start her packing list for overnight Girl Scout camp in August.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#23 of 108 Old 07-06-2012, 09:00 AM

Me too, me too!  I just started working from home and my office/bedroom space needs an overhaul.  Hoping this will help me keep a fire under my rear.

#24 of 108 Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I need to join too, here is my list:

-Dining Room table

-Junk Drawer

-DD's Bedroom

-Office Cabinet

-Spare Bedroom Closet

-Pantry

-Hurricane Supplies

-Garage

-Master bedroom

-Master Closet

-DS's Playroom

-DDs Therapy Equipment

-My Nook

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#25 of 108 Old 07-07-2012, 02:58 PM

sunnysandiegan - Organizing your calendar can be really helpful! I've been working on putting together a home-binder to keep up with all sorts of things--meal plans, calendar, bills, etc. I was even shocked when I found DH using it!

I spent some time today organizing and decluttering the dresser in DS's room. I was able to pull out a lot of things that don't really fit him well. I started on the closet but quickly learned that it's a project that would be a lot easier if I wasn't also trying to watch him at the same time.

I was also able to get a bit of paperwork filed. All of our owner's manuals are now filed and I've got just a tiny stack of paperwork left. 

#26 of 108 Old 07-07-2012, 06:13 PM

~ Put away little project piles in living room; clear off stairs. (I already took care of recycling the boxes from a recent volunteer project before even reading this! :) ) Done!

~ Finishing clearing projects from the kitchen table and counter. (These are very small, space-wise, but require time/effort to complete.) Done!

~ Straighten up studio (sewing supplies + herbal remedy supplies). - Worked on this some more today.

~ Clear off my vanity in our master bedroom (makeup project I got distracted from + empty bottles & small supplies for homemade toiletries); put away stuff on floor (bigger homemade toiletry supplies). - Worked on this a little bit today.

~ And, the big one....which I may not finish, but would at LEAST like to get started on....my craft supplies in our family office. I have the window nook + part of the closet + one tall narrow Ikea cabinet + the bottom half of the TV shelving unit, yet the floor is overrun with my supplies from an all day crop back in MAY! EEK!

#27 of 108 Old 07-07-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Sunnysandiegan - wow...you're on a roll!   Putting away projects that are works in progress is always so difficult. 

I've done nothing productive today.  We bought the kids a SUP so we took it to the beach this morning (and then laid around the house in the afternoon).  They had a blast so we are going back tomorrow morning.    Hopefully I will get something accomplished in the afternoon.

#28 of 108 Old 07-08-2012, 05:13 AM

Just saw this thread. I NEED to organize our home before the new home-schooling year starts. Our hs space, my business/personal paperwork, as well as storage for things I buy and sell on Ebay all share the same area.

My major goals before the end of July:

~Organize school/work area

~Organize crafting supplies

~Clean out DD's closet

~Clean out and organize pantry

#29 of 108 Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 PM

I'll join!

My projects:

-inventory clothing and prepare shopping list for fall/winter needs

-organize art & craft & hobby supplies

-catalog home library & organize

- implement new home management and financial organizational binders

-organize food storage & canning pantry

-inventory and reorganize emergency supplies & kits

-freshen up first aid cabinet 

-wrap and inventory items in gift closet and complete fall/winter holiday/special occasion shopping list

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

#30 of 108 Old 07-08-2012, 11:07 PM

Thanks dbsam! :)

This is sooo typical.... LOL

I started working on clearing off my vanity in our master bedroom when I got out of the shower this morning...but then I went to get dressed and got sidetracked because I am always wishing I knew exactly which clothes fit and which didn't, without having to try a bunch on OR just grabbing the ones I KNOW fit.... So, I went through my entire closet, 3-shelf cabinet, and two tiny drawers today. I actually organized all my clothes by what fits and what doesn't right now. I gave away a handful, too. The items that fit are in my favorite places to get items: front and center in the closet, top two shelves in little cabinet, and ONLY items that fit are in the two tiny drawers. The items that don't are in the least accessible areas, but I left everything looking full in order to prevent buying anything new....except I did discover I own exactly one pair of shorts that fit. We have a warm season that lasts half the year; another pair of shorts are in order.

I did a little more in the studio, too.

I got exactly nowhere on the office. The big project. Oy.

Tags
Organizing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page