Everything TOYS! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-26-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How many do you have?

Are they sorted into categories or are you more of a toy box person?

Do you rotate? If so, how much do you have in storage?

Any must have's when it comes to toys?

Do you allow your children to take all the toys out at once?

In case you haven't noticed winky.gif I'm curious as to how others are setting up toys in their households. I thought I had a grip on our toy situation but then I realized that birthdays and Christmas DO indeed come around every year and there is strong potential for it all to go haywire. So spill the beans - Please tell me what you do! Detailed descriptions about your toy setup are great and pictures are even better..

Sincerely,

Tired of toys everywhere

flowersforyou.gif

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#2 of 13 Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How many do you have? Very few. Pretty sure people think my kids are disadvantaged.

Are they sorted into categories or are you more of a toy box person? Terrified of toy boxes. They are categorized in baskets on shelves.

Do you rotate? If so, how much do you have in storage? No, I don't want to own so many that they'd need to be rotated. It gets donated rather than stored.

Any must have's when it comes to toys? Blocks (all ages), Board Games for 3yr+

Do you allow your children to take all the toys out at once? It happens and is currently my biggest issue with housecleaning.

We have a toy kitchen and keep all it's accessories inside. We are drowning in stuffed animals but most were given as gifts so I haven't yet been able to feel okay getting rid of them. Our other issue is a mess of a basket of small plastic toys (action figures, vehicles, etc). And a mess of a basket of small baby toys (rattles, teethers, etc)

chicken3.gif     2008.2011.2014      homeschool.gif
#3 of 13 Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 PM

How many do you have? DD has her own playroom, so we have a few, but not a ton. The types of toys we have are dress-up clothes and accessories, small animals (not stuffed), musical instruments, 1 dollhouse, play kitchen and food, Melissa & Doug blocks, puzzles, board games, pattern beads, a small trampoline, an igloo from Ikea, puppets, and lots of art supplies. We don't have any toys with small pieces (legos, k'nex, and all those character toys that come with a million little things).

Are they sorted into categories or are you more of a toy box person? Sorted into categories. We use Ikea Expedit shelving the 2x4 ones laid on their side so everything is within her reach, with bins from Target to store the various things.

Do you rotate? If so, how much do you have in storage? The only thing I rotate are puzzles. We have a lot of puzzles.

Any must have's when it comes to toys? Dress-up clothes, musical instruments, play kitchen, puzzles. We also have lots and lots of books.

Do you allow your children to take all the toys out at once? DD is 4, and has become much better about this. When she was younger I did let her take everything out, and we would clean every other day. Now, when she is taking a wide variety of her toys out at once, she usually has some kind of reasoning behind it, and I don't want to stifle her imagination.

SimpleLove likes this.

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

#4 of 13 Old 07-30-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

How many do you have?we have very,very minimal toys for our 4 and 7 year old girls. We're 99% 'plastic free' which I think keeps toy numbers down too'
Sorted like for like into baskets onto open shelf. They only have books and a few small teddies in their bedroom.
No, we don't have enough toys. Some of our seasonal books are rotated.
Play kitchen,utensils,play food and baby and stroller
Yes. Because the toys are so minimal, pick up is only 5 minutes

I think I gave you this link last year on another post but here is what is in our toy area with the addition of Lego (which isn't played with that much!) http://mamauk.typepad.com/mamauk/2010/12/our-ostheimer-nativity-as-each-christmas-passes-we-are-more-and-more-striving-for-simplicity-in-our-celebrations-we-want.html

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#5 of 13 Old 07-31-2012, 06:27 AM

How many do you have?

Considering we have three children, not too many.  Still too many for my liking, though.  My older children - 7 and 9 - rarely play with their toys.  On the rare occasion they're inside, they're playing videogames or reading.

We have large, square plastic bins from ikea that have easy to remove lids.  We have six of them.  The toys are limited to those six boxes, aside from oversized things that have to sit on a shelf above them.  When Christmas or birthday comes around, we purge the toys that haven't been touched in a year, to make room for new ones.

We rotate toys for the littlest one, who is a year old.  I have a cube storage unit in her room and she has four small baskets of assorted toys.  Every now and then I'll gather up all her toys in the living room basket, and switch them out for another basket upstairs in her room.  This keeps her from getting bored with them.  I do need to go through them and start pulling out the stuff she's clearly outgrown, though!

Board games.  Always a classic.  When the kids DO play with toys, more often than not they're asking me to play a game with them.  My experience is that all other toys quickly outlive their usefulness.  The kids play with them for a week or two, and then ditch them.  The only consistants seem to be our Thomas trains, which we've had for nearly 10 years and have lived through three kids and have been WELL played with, and my daughter's doll house, which used to be mine and all of the kids play with.

I really prefer that they not do this, but it does happen as I don't supervise the older two when they play.  Generally they're good about playing with one thing at a time, and it's only when they have friends over that EVERYTHING gets dumped.  I don't really mind, as I often find them "combining" toys, which I don't discourage.  Because we keep the toys to a minimum, it's never the end of the world when the bins get dumped.  We can clean it all up in half an hour.

As a side note, I USED to think that my kids had too many toys, until we went to a friend's house this weekend for their son's birthday.  Holy cow.  TOYS EVERYWHERE.  On every floor of the house.  On every surface.  The child is two, and has more toys than my THREE children, combined.  I was floored at the amount of stuff!  Walking through any given room was dangerous, as you had to tip-toe around toys and pray you didn't step on one and hurt yourself (or break the toy!)  I helped one of my children find the washroom, and stumbled upon the play room which had an entire wall of shelving filled with about 20 more bins of toys.  INSANE.  I would go mental, lol.

#6 of 13 Old 07-31-2012, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

How many do you have?  2,758,960

Are they sorted into categories or are you more of a toy box person?  We store our toys on the floor.  I hate toy boxes.  I have a lovely collection of bins and baskets for the toys.  They play with those, too.... on the floor.

Do you rotate? If so, how much do you have in storage?  I detect a bit of a counterclockwise current.  Or is it clockwise?  We are in the Northern Hemisphere.

Any must have's when it comes to toys?  A broom to sweep them aside.  Oh, *toy* must haves..... kitchen tongs.

Do you allow your children to take all the toys out at once?  Despite being a physical impossibility to take out all the toys at once (for one, they are already out), they have my permission and they have made games of every single toy at once and I believe they are still out.

Sincerely,

Tired of toys everywhere

flowersforyou.gif

Dear, TOTE.... the only solution is to move away from extended family and leave no forwarding address.  And hope you are lucky enough not to move next to a neighbor with no grandchildren.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#7 of 13 Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 AM

How many do you have? We have a large metal tonka truck, some blocks, some action figures, hotwheels, art supplies(kept on bookshelf in dining room), few stuffed animals, potato head, board games(also kept in dining room)

Are they sorted into categories or are you more of a toy box person? I tried the organizing into categories thing and with my 3 year old...it doesn't work. All their toys fit in a small laundry basket.

Do you rotate? If so, how much do you have in storage?If I need to rotate toys, then there are too many!

Any must have's when it comes to toys?blocks and art supplies

Do you allow your children to take all the toys out at once? their toys stay in their room so they can take them all out but have to clean them up before bed.

the boys also have a tent and some camping gear that they like to play with. That stuff gets stored on a low shelf in their closet. They like to pretend camp and fish a lot.

I also go through toys quite often. I throw away the broken ones and donate the ones no longer used. My 9 year old is also good at decideing what he wants and doesn't want anymore.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#8 of 13 Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Dear, TOTE.... the only solution is to move away from extended family and leave no forwarding address.  And hope you are lucky enough not to move next to a neighbor with no grandchildren.  

lol.gif

Your answers cracked me up SS. Thanks for the laugh! love.gif

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#9 of 13 Old 08-10-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies ladies smile.gif

#10 of 13 Old 08-10-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to add that a lot of my confusion/frustration results from:

a) Wanting to keep toys for the next generation.

b) Having three children of one gender consecutively and then one child of the opposite gender (which provides so much potential for things to haywire)

c) Having a small home. The 2 older kids share a room and the 2 younger ones co-sleep. It's so easy to have toys and kidstuff take over every inch of the house when it's not big and almost 8 years into parenting, it's getting old.. I'd really like a semi-adult looking home now. You know.. One where we can see 20% of the floor and fridge.

d) Finding co-operative toys work best, but also take up the most space! We also love Lego but I really have to pare down on the sets.

e) Having children with very different interests and not wanting to short change anyone. For example I have a horse lover and one who loves everything buildable.

Edited to add:

Perhaps it would help to write out which toys I definitely wanted to keep for the next gen.

-Lego Christmas sets

-Wooden marble track blocks (large set)

-Wooden building blocks (large set)

-Playmobil house

-Alphabet blocks

-2-3 special plush toys for each child

-Each girls' dolly and baby and 1-2 special toys for my son

And then there are the 'would be nice to keep' toys.. Let's not list that one.. blush.gif

#11 of 13 Old 08-10-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacefulSeams View Post

How many do you have? We have a large metal tonka truck, some blocks, some action figures, hotwheels, art supplies(kept on bookshelf in dining room), few stuffed animals, potato head, board games(also kept in dining room)

Are they sorted into categories or are you more of a toy box person? I tried the organizing into categories thing and with my 3 year old...it doesn't work. All their toys fit in a small laundry basket.

Do you rotate? If so, how much do you have in storage?If I need to rotate toys, then there are too many!

Any must have's when it comes to toys?blocks and art supplies

Do you allow your children to take all the toys out at once? their toys stay in their room so they can take them all out but have to clean them up before bed.

the boys also have a tent and some camping gear that they like to play with. That stuff gets stored on a low shelf in their closet. They like to pretend camp and fish a lot.

I also go through toys quite often. I throw away the broken ones and donate the ones no longer used. My 9 year old is also good at decideing what he wants and doesn't want anymore.

Sorry, I should have given an example. Say you had 8 different puzzles for your toddler. Do you keep 2 out at any one time or can all 8 be sitting on the shelf?

#12 of 13 Old 08-10-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post

As a side note, I USED to think that my kids had too many toys, until we went to a friend's house this weekend for their son's birthday.  Holy cow.  TOYS EVERYWHERE.  On every floor of the house.  On every surface.  The child is two, and has more toys than my THREE children, combined.  I was floored at the amount of stuff!  Walking through any given room was dangerous, as you had to tip-toe around toys and pray you didn't step on one and hurt yourself (or break the toy!)  I helped one of my children find the washroom, and stumbled upon the play room which had an entire wall of shelving filled with about 20 more bins of toys.  INSANE.  I would go mental, lol.

bigeyes.gifjaw2.gif

I think that is officially the definition of the word 'insanity'.

#13 of 13 Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 PM

How many do you have? We have one of those bin stackers with toys in it, a bunch of puppets, some outside toys and a few that only come down when the baby is napping (he puts anything he an in his mouth so not safe with small parts!)

Are they sorted into categories or are you more of a toy box person? They are sorted, toy boxes drive me nuts and for my kids add to the mess (they dump the whole thing to find one toy and then don't put anything away)

Do you rotate? If so, how much do you have in storage? No rotating here

Any must have's when it comes to toys? Open ended toys.. blocks, legos, trios, puppets etc

Do you allow your children to take all the toys out at once? 1 bucket per child (so the oldest an take out the horses and the middle the blocks but if the middle wants to play with the stacker she has to put the blocks away first)

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Tags
Simplifying , Organizing , Decluttering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page