Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

But... but... but...

But then the stuff that touches your butt is touching stuff that touches your plates.

bigeyes.gif

Yes but isn't your butt clean after your bath?  All you are doing is drying off a (hopefully) clean butt.

I shouldn't tease because I completely relate to this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

In my mind I know everything is disinfected when I use the hot setting... in my heart of hearts I am still doing the icky squicky dance.

Heck, growing up if a sock fell out of the basket and hit the floor we had to re-wash it. I've finally stopped doing that!

My family has/had serious germ phobia issues.  Interesting considering my mom grew up on a working cattle/chicken farm.  It is amazing my grandmother didn't lose her mind battling real and imagined germ threats.  My mom is just as bad.  I convinced myself long ago that between hot water, detergent and the heat of the dryer, no germs survive.  I wash everything on hot.

I agree the fewer the items that need to be washed, the better.  Weeding out unnecessary things made a huge difference in my laundry life.  Less things in the drawers/closets makes it easier to actually put clean clothing away.  When we got new towels, I got light blue.  These get washed with both light and dark loads so I always have clean towels on hand as well as items to throw in if I have room.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#32 of 53 Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 AM

I just sort dark and light. Bathroom towels and sheets get washed separately in their own loads. I don't have a problem mixing them in, but we have a low capacity machine, so 4ish bath towels and 4 ish hand towels is a load for that machine. 

We are moving in a few months and I'm hoping to switch it up though. We'll be in a walk up, so I'm hoping to do one of the laundry pod or wonder wash things for many of the clothes rather than lugging up and down. We'll see how it goes though! I'm thinking I may just wash 1 person's clothes per day and hang to dry. Sheets and towels and kitchen towels will have to go all the way down for the electric washer though. 1/week probably. 

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#33 of 53 Old 08-16-2012, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I sort into 3 types - cold, warm, and hot. Almost everything goes into warm - jeans, t-shirts, towels. Hot is just whites (which includes kitchen towels/dishrags). Cold is the smallest category, and I might only do a cold load every couple of weeks. My laundry room has a chest of drawers that I use for storage, and one drawer is for cold-water wash. When the drawer is full, I wash a load.

My biggest laundry victory was buying a bunch of extra hangers, and keeping them in the laundry room. Instead of folding all our t-shirts (which is mostly what we all wear), then hanging them once they reach the correct room, I put everything on hangers right out of the closet. It saves a TON of time - and my sons, who are terrible at folding clothes, can manage the hanger thing.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#34 of 53 Old 08-16-2012, 12:28 PM

I used to be in your position. ((hugs))

I now do one load a day. Adult towels/sheets (both white), kitchen cloth, and cloth diapers get washed in hot and dried on high, but all clothing is washed in cold. I used to line dry everything but now that I'm working out of the home there just isn't time. I load up a basket every night before I go to bed and put it by the washing machine. In the morning I put the clothes in to wash. I then put them in the dryer as soon as I get home from work that evening. I carry the clothes back up and put the one load away while the boys are getting ready for bed. I have a 2 bag laundry thing (lights and darks) for adult clothes. The boys' clothes, towels, and sheets all go in the same basket and are never sorted by color. I rinse their clothes before washing them because ODS still has accidents pretty regularly. I stopped sorting their clothes by color almost 2 years ago and have never had a problem with anything bleeding, but I also wash everything in cold. 

Reducing the amount of clothing we have has also helped with laundry piling up. The boys have 10 of everything (tops, bottoms, undies, and socks) and one nice outfit per season.  I don't count mine and DH's clothes but I try to keep it reasonable. For me that means that all of our clothes fit on a single 3 foot rod in our shared closet. 

Mama to Dante (1/08) and Paul (7/10).twins.gif Wife to Allan.asl.gif

Missing Heaven Dec.9, 2011angel1.gif

"The Lord has done great things for us and we are filled with joy!" Psalm 126:3

#35 of 53 Old 08-17-2012, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't sort as a matter of routine. If I have a new article to wash that is particularly bright I might hold it on the side until I have enough clothes that I can toss it in a load without any white-whites as a precaution. Usually, whatever is in an about-a-load sized basket (each person's clothes and bath towels) goes into the washer. I have several baskets for everyone. While one basket is downstairs waiting for a load, there is still another basket in everyone's room for any dirty laundry that needs to be put somewhere in the meantime. It means we have unattractive big plastic baskets (hamper shaped--handy) sitting all over our rooms, but they function well. Whenever DSD admits she has a basket full (or two baskets full ... or that she's out of clothes ...) DH or I carry it downstairs for her and she loads it in the machine. I usually help her fold and put hers away, but trying to get her more independent on that front.

I leave the wash temp on "auto," and I'm not sure how it decides what temp to use, but when I've stopped it--and wiggled the buttons around until I can get the door to unlock--it's felt fairly warm to hot. I choose to trust the machine.

I fold clothes as I take them out of the dryer--not even an intermediate step into a basket. Once the wrinkles are set in an unfolded pile of clothes, I completely lose the will to fold. Folding hot laundry on a cold winter day is almost a treat, even. The dryer we have dries clothes faster than the washer washes them. It may be due to a really good washer spin cycle, though. In any event, if I'm on the ball and hear the dryer finish I can get the dry clothes folded before the next load is done washing. I am quadruple diligent to get DH's button-up shirts out of the dryer while they're still super hot so they only require hanging and not ironing. I'm not my grandma--no ironing underwear (or anything else for that matter).

For sheets, even though I have multiple sets for each of our beds, I try to wash and re-apply the sheets right away, rather than fold and store clean sheets. It seems like hot sheets also go on beds easier than ones with crisp fold lines.

Every couple weeks, or if we're having overnight company, I do a load of whatever towels are hanging up in the bathrooms and the bath rugs. Like sheets, I take them down, wash, and put them right back. If I get it done before the last clean hand towel is used, people can even dry their hands while I do laundry!

I put the kitchen towels and other random things that might need to be washed in loads with DH's clothes. He's a man so he doesn't care, right? Besides, it can't be worse than his dirty socks. faint.gif

DH and I work where we can wear whatever we want (so long as appendages are covered) so we don't have to worry about special care clothes. The wool sweaters I have, I try to be careful in wearing so I don't have to wash often, and then I put them in a separate pile to wash them on a cooler, delicate cycle and of course no drying. Otherwise I try to avoid buying anything that requires special wash care. I do turn my jeans and black yoga pants inside-out in the wash to try to preserve the color, but that's about as high-maintenance as I put up with for regular clothes. innocent.gif

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#36 of 53 Old 08-17-2012, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Everyone has their own laundry basket/hamper thing that stays in their own room.  We've got 3 regular laundry baskets for dumping the clean, dry things into.  Dh and I fold clothes on our bed, ds folds clothes on the couch, dd just doesn't fold clothes. Ever. It's nuts.  irked.gif  But I don't dwell on it. 

We're fortunate to have a laundry room with a utility sink.  Dirty towels go in the sink. 

I sort by light and dark and that's mostly it. It usually all gets washed in warm.  Red goes in with dark, unless it's brand new, in which case I might try to put together a load of all red.  Only recently I started washing my undies on delicate, only because I bought myself a bunch of nice bras, so I toss the undies in with the bras.

I'm very VERY lucky that my dh of 20 years has always preferred to do his own laundry.  And my daughter started doing her own when she was 11.  Ds is doing his own about half the time.  So I've got my own clothes plus the towels and sheets. And some of ds's clothes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

See, I am so un-poop-phobic that I had to sit here and think about whether you were worried about the kitchen towels touching your butt towels or your butt towels touching your kitchen towels.  After having cloth diapered two LO's, I am just completely solid in my belief that anything butt related that goes in the washer will be obliterated by the process.  I have never had any indication otherwise.  I know lots of people feel uncomfortable with it, though.

I've got the same line of thought. 

I know there's probably all kinds of shenanigans going on in that washer. And I highly doubt it's getting obliterated in the washer. Not when there are critters that can live in boiling hot acid water on steam vents under the ocean.  But, yeah, in my head what doesn't get done-in in the wash gets baked in the dryer. 

Even after the dryer, I wouldn't be surprised if someone found some kind of 'cross contamination' between butt towels and dish towels. The thing is, no one in this house getting sick.  shrug.gif  Perhaps we're inoculating ourselves with just enough ick to make our immune system stronger? orngbiggrin.gif  Anyway, I don't dwell on it.

OK, there's one exception:  the dog's blankets (old towels) get washed separately and never do they mix with body towels. The fur just is never completely removed and I didn't appreciate discovering that I was smearing dog fur on my freshly bathed, naked, wet body. Even if the fur had gone through the washer and drier. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#37 of 53 Old 08-17-2012, 05:54 PM

Im seriously laughing over here about the whole butt towel/plate towel conversation..

Laundry now.. We have 2 baskets, one in the master bath and one in the girls bedroom. Only thing that gets seperated out is DH's uniforms be
cause he works with hazmat and I don't want that anywhere near anyone else's clothing.. I generally do the kids load (the girl's room basket) on Mondays, the master bath's basket on Wednesday and DH's uniforms on Saturday. On Thursday I do sheets and towels if needed and Tuesday is catch up if needed.. Soon we will have to do cloth diaper laundry so that will be done every other day unless its needed more often.

I think the thing is finding a system that works for you.. When I had 1
child I use to not even have laundry baskets. DH worked an office job so I didn't even have to worry about his uniforms.. So, everything just got thrown in the wash, when it was full it got turned on. Then diapers got done when the wash was done (every other day at least).. When I had two that no longer worked out well (potty training, we went through a LOT of clothing from DD dropping her clothes in the toilet) so I did laundry one day a week (Mondays usually).. When we had the 3rd I DH started working Hazmat again and spending the day doing laundry was just not something that was working so I came up with what I do now.. In October when the baby is born Im sure it will change again.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#38 of 53 Old 08-17-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

OK, there's one exception:  the dog's blankets (old towels) get washed separately and never do they mix with body towels. The fur just is never completely removed and I didn't appreciate discovering that I was smearing dog fur on my freshly bathed, naked, wet body. Even if the fur had gone through the washer and drier. 

Blah!  Now this I can understand.  What does it say that I can accept butt towels mixed with dish towels in the wash but not animal cross contamination?  We are down to one cat and I still wash his lounge bedding/ towels seperately.  This is a house cat that has never lived outside and eats only the best food.  There are no worm, flea or ick things to worry about (he sleeps in bed with us) yet I do not like the hair issues.

#39 of 53 Old 08-18-2012, 09:18 AM

Sheepish.gif

Glad I could really add to the conversation ladies!

So, my husband will take a dish towel and use it to dry the kitchen floor, with his foot, and then pick it up and leave it on the counter to dry his hands on, and then stick his hands in the baby's mouth... and I'm trying to stop hyperventilating long enough to tell him to stop, and his response is always to point out that he is sick much less frequently than I am, and maybe that's due to the fact that he challenges his immune system once in a while.  I don't think I'm germ-phobic.  I think I'm perfectly normal, little on the dirty side, actually.  I'm in deep.

I really can't wash any cat stuff with any of our stuff, and I have to wash the washer and dryer after I wash their stuff.  My cats are also indoors only and fed a high-quality diet, but that fur... that fuzzy, omnipresent fur...  blech.

Most of my wardrobe is in need of a cold, delicate wash.  I think if I start washing some of Little Miss's things on cold I can go to my three-load system (excepting butt towels and plate towels and sheets and cat items, which will all still be separate), and that may help me.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#40 of 53 Old 08-18-2012, 10:58 AM

Mrs.Gregory, are you familiar with the mirobiome that lives in all of us?  An adult might have as many as 100 trillion bacteria in just the digestive tract! They're in and on our skin, our scalps, and our mouths. Our belly buttons are veritable jungles. Together they weigh as much as a couple of pounds, like a whole other organ.  And they behave beneficially like an organ, as well.  TWO POUNDS OF MICROBES IN OUR BODIES... 

It's like all the living things in a healthy pond.  Cattails, frogs, fish, algae, mosquitoes and god knows what that can only be seen under a microscope. They all work together, feed on each other and keep life in and on the pond healthy and thriving.  It's like the pond is a living entity. 

While I really don't like to think on the hand towel to floor with foot to counter again, that just seems clearly wrong (maybe because there's SO MUCH DOG FUR on our floors),  theoretically your dh is helping to populate your dd with necessary microbes when he his fingers touch her mouth.  

Anyway, I pretty much can't get my mind around the idea that 1% - 2% of my body is entirely other creatures!

#41 of 53 Old 08-19-2012, 01:59 AM

When we had in door pets their bedding was washed seperately.. I don't like washing pet laundry with human laundry. If I had to clean up a pet mess wtih a towel it got washed with the pet laundry. Also, the pet towels/blankets were the only things washed on HOT water, everything else gets washed on cold..

No indoor pets now so no having to add an extra load of laundry a week

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#42 of 53 Old 08-19-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Mrs.Gregory, are you familiar with the mirobiome that lives in all of us?  An adult might have as many as 100 trillion bacteria in just the digestive tract! They're in and on our skin, our scalps, and our mouths. Our belly buttons are veritable jungles. Together they weigh as much as a couple of pounds, like a whole other organ.  And they behave beneficially like an organ, as well.  TWO POUNDS OF MICROBES IN OUR BODIES... 

It's like all the living things in a healthy pond.  Cattails, frogs, fish, algae, mosquitoes and god knows what that can only be seen under a microscope. They all work together, feed on each other and keep life in and on the pond healthy and thriving.  It's like the pond is a living entity. 

While I really don't like to think on the hand towel to floor with foot to counter again, that just seems clearly wrong (maybe because there's SO MUCH DOG FUR on our floors),  theoretically your dh is helping to populate your dd with necessary microbes when he his fingers touch her mouth.  

Anyway, I pretty much can't get my mind around the idea that 1% - 2% of my body is entirely other creatures!

Oh yes, definitely.  I don't use anti-bacterial products as a rule, and although I don't follow any food movements, I grew up understanding that my gut had it's own eco-system, and I could help that eco-system along with that I ate.

My concern about the towel on the floor and then near food is, for example, regarding cross-contamination between species;  we have cats that use their litter and then run across that floor. 

I do think it's pretty awesome that our bodies are made of so much stuff that we'd not consider to be part of "us".  I think I just want to keep the butt parts of us and the face parts of us pretty separate.  I am also a fan of washing my hands frequently and well, and not touching my face.  Growing up I was taught that touching your face too much was dirty and might make you sick.  Actually, I was raised to wash both my hands and face before meals.  It seems so old-fashioned now. 

#43 of 53 Old 08-19-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

Quote:

Yes but isn't your butt clean after your bath?  All you are doing is drying off a (hopefully) clean butt.

I shouldn't tease because I completely relate to this -

My family has/had serious germ phobia issues.  Interesting considering my mom grew up on a working cattle/chicken farm.  It is amazing my grandmother didn't lose her mind battling real and imagined germ threats.  My mom is just as bad.  I convinced myself long ago that between hot water, detergent and the heat of the dryer, no germs survive.  I wash everything on hot.

I agree the fewer the items that need to be washed, the better.  Weeding out unnecessary things made a huge difference in my laundry life.  Less things in the drawers/closets makes it easier to actually put clean clothing away.  When we got new towels, I got light blue.  These get washed with both light and dark loads so I always have clean towels on hand as well as items to throw in if I have room.

You know, my family is also quite forceful about tidiness and cleanliness and being well-scrubbed, and they also work a farm and are mostly in completely filthy environments all day.  Funny.

#44 of 53 Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 AM

I'll throw my vote in for doing a load every day or every two days.  We don't really sort.  If we've been ill, I'll wash towels/bedsheets separately, and use hot water for all the stuff (clothes too) then.  But usually I just use cold water and have no problems.  Every once in a while I'll gather our whites together and bleach them if they're starting to look dingy.  And I don't have clothes in the house that will run.  (I usually don't buy new clothes, but when I do I check the tags, and if it warns that it might bleed, I will soak it first to see if it does indeed leak colors.)  I think I've had one issue before when I threw in something that bled, and that did suck a little because it turned a lot of clothes pinkish - luckily it was mostly DD's white bedding, and pink is her fav color, so I think we all won on that one.  ;)

So basically whenever anyone has any dirty clothes, they go straight in the washing machine (or in a laundry basket) and I run the machine when it's full. It averages out to once a day and a half.  When the kids were younger it was about twice a week, but they play harder now and change clothes more frequently.  And I don't wash my own clothes every time they're worn, just when they get dirty. 

#45 of 53 Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 AM

A load a day keeps mount wash more away as FlyLady says!

Also, get rid of some clothes you don't like but wear just because there's nothing else. That REALLY helps. 

Allllsssoooo....I started washing all colourfast clothes (which to be honest is MOST items these days, just do them on their own the first time or so if they are really bright colours) together and at 30/40C 

I've NEVER had a problem with clothes getting dyed pink/blue or whatever. 

Do at your own risk but seriously I couldn't imagine trying to get through masses of laundry without doing my lazy, all colours together method. 

treehugger.gif

Natural Parenting Guidelines

Learn more about Natural Parenting, Holistic Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, Baby Wearing, Cosleeping, Non-Vaccination and Baby Led Feeding/Weaning.

Got something you're passionate about? Come write an article for us and link back to your blog! 

#46 of 53 Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 AM

Another thing that helps at our house is I will run less than full loads, which goes completely against my upbringing but if running a 3/4 full load of towels because they are there and ready to be washed means those get done NOW as I am racing out the door, then that is what I do.  Sometimes I just don't have an extra 5 minutes to run to all the hampers to fill out a load.

#47 of 53 Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM

I have made a little drawing for you what works for us:

http://oi47.tinypic.com/2di3xb6.jpg

going from the bottom

• washer and dryer
  • next there is a shelow shelf that holds handy and ready dishwashing powder, liquid, iron etc..
  • then you have first level of shelf with baskets
  • then you have second shelf with baskets

what is important is to watch how you sort things, what you wash together with what and this is your

typical sort of things. Now,it is true that you don't need to go by KIND of things but rather with

colors and how you wash them.

• I save time by not throwing it all on the loundry floor but rather putting the basket with colors
  • on the top of the dryer, open my washer and pick and throw all alike-colors that can go to the cold water.
  • I have separate baskets for obviously most frequently accumulating loundry that in our family are whites, blacks and pinks.. all our bedding and underwear and socks are white so all they go there..
  • I have lots of pinks so pinks have separate basket
  • I have so many colors that it would not make sense to have each basket for each color
  • I have lots of black items so they all go to one basket.

How I manage my loundry process:

1. I always start with picking one basket and putting it irght on the dryer, open the washer and fill it with detergent and water and as it fills I trown in my loundry.. first pick what is obivious, easy and a lot.. Usually I start with white wash in hot water as this enmass most of our loundry.. sometimes I am done with one load, if not then I continue with another after I finish white hot wash.
  2. Then I look for trouble areas :) I go with whatever I can wash in cold water together.. so usually pink goes first as tehre is lots of pinks.. it usually takes one load
  3. Then I put my colors on the dryer and pick all the colors that can go togehter into the warm water and get esily wash and dried together..

this usually takes three loads as some colors won't liek the others :) I will pick enough of blues to go together, enough of khakis to fill another load, you get the pictures..  All my colors are there the jeans, the things..

4.  I might have a basket for good shirts of hubby if he has them and uses them if he is not using the service outside on hte way to work..

5. I always keep one basket for kitchen towels and other things that stink. Towels naturally have some food contact from hands or wipes or kids hands.. so they always are bit smelly therefore I would never wash them with other loundry.

6. After the easy things are done I will happily look at all my empty baskets and I have left is only the fancy hand wash or other special treatment items.. I will find there my silk blouse, or my linnen pants that need to be either hand wash or cold wash and hanged to dry.. or my special bras or alikes..

So that is how it is done... When I attack the loundry room I always start the first wash, then it goes to the dryer, then I put second wash in and usually by it is done the first wash is still drying, so I set a basket with wet second load on the top of the dryer in a waiting line.. as the third wash is washing.. by the time the first load is done, the second goes into the washer, and the cycles goes on..

I do not fold and put away things right away either.. my trick is - I take each basket to the bedroom and on the flat nicely made bed I sort quickly

things by person and by kind and put them flat - so .. kiddos tshirts kiddos pants, kiddos jeans, hubby tshirts, my tshirts..

the flat piles lie there and wait for all loads to be done and piled up flatly on the top of eachother.

then I bring hangers to the bedroom, hang everything on them and take them to respective closets per person..

then I bring the ironing board, turn on tv, seat on the edge of the bed, take pile of tshirts closer to me on the bed and fold them easy peasy

on the ironing board as I watch tv Ironing board gives me perfect size reference how big the fold must be to fit where it should so each

tshirt is folded in the same width, neatest and effortless.

I love my system because I don't have to do big loundry days to do what I need to do. I can just do whites today, and only cold water, or only

hot water ones, or other day just black cold water things that have to be airfluffed and not hot dried...

it is really easy system.

Works like a charm. Now - I know that it is tempting to buy a washer and dryer with that huge under the washer and dryer drayer

postument basis. In my humble opinion they are waste of space and disturbing in the loundry process unless you have huge

loundry room and have counter top elswhere and some sorting system for your baskets.

otherwise there is NO More efficient way then if you have your baskets right above the washer and dryer, and

when you can set them on the top of them as you need, and the washer and dryer top should be not on your eye level

because then obviously you cant use them as work space.

I also abasolutely despise the dividing hanging deep pocket multi pocket loundry sorters, they are just bad,

they hinder the process as you can not access the items easily once you put them, you need normal

cheap loundry baskets instadt hat you can stack if you need to, that you can pick garment easily

that you can dig in to find something on the bottom, that you can simply use fast and quickly.

The deep sorters are nice looking and that is all. They really are not great to work with and they

do not give you the flexibility to take just the things you need. And.. just try to set that thing

on the top of the dryer so you can dump the thins from it to the washer. Good luck :)

I have my ironning board set in the space next to the washer on one side, and the

vacuum cleaner on the other. My iron is on the shallow about 7 inches deep shelf

above as you see.

OH btw.. we have wire shelve height adjustable system that is cheap, easy to

install and you can change them as you wish.

I used to love to have the closed cabinets like in the kitchen in the loundry room

above the washer and dryer but I ended up taking them off and having

open access easy and fast as I designed them as you see and what works for me.

I am not afraid to make a change if it is not working for me. I know how I work

and I observe how I work and I make a mental notes and then after I got

picture of how I use the space, I adjust it accordingly, therefore the cabinets

had to go. I could only store there the many chemicals I never used in the first place

and my baskets and sorters were taking up the floor space and made a mess..

Oh btw.. I don't need that much of the shelf space for my detergent needs anways

because trying to keep healthy and green we only use Green detergent in powder

form - Seven Generation, free of perfumes and dyes and other stuff,

we have always one liquid detergent for delicate stuff also by seven generation

and also free of dyes and perfumes and then I have always one bottle

of dishwashing liquid in the loundry room also by seven generation - you guessed

it , I like them hahaha..

but you wonder why dishwashing liquid??? okay, becuase it is safe on anything

from silk to rags, and it is all I need to take those stubborn greasy spots and stains

that sometimes you find after you did that loundry and dried that shirt and still find them!

I usually check kid's shirts for any greseay spots and just pour bit of the dishowasing

liquid right on the spot, then squash the shirt and dump it into the loundry with other

things that is safe to go with.. let's say I am doing blue colors in warm water,

so I grab this tshirts that is blue, has spot, pour the dsihw liq on the spot, squash

it and throw with the rest of hte loundry an dwash as usual.

Works like a charm.

We never use any dryer liners like NEVER as they are not only bad for your

EArth but for your house and you, all that smell .. it is actually very not friendly

read some articles..

So that is a wrap. Have a nice loundry day :)

p.s i usually do the bed sheets on separate day from any other loundry.

it is a loads in themselves and I am pooped after doing allt he beds.

#48 of 53 Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 PM

MamaPrincess, that's an epic post! Lots of great information there.  You make a great point, some of those cool-looking bins are NOT convenient or workable.

#49 of 53 Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM

I have 5 kids so laundry is just a never ending chore. What works for me........... I try to do at least 1 load a day and then a couple days a week I do 4 or 5. I sort the clothes into towels, lights, darks and my husbands work clothes. Every night my kids must bring all dirty clothes from their bedrooms to the dirty clothes baskets. When a basket is full I throw it in the washer and put a load going. I have 1 basket for clean clothes and my rule is to fold that basket before I take more clothes out of the dryer. Above the washer and dryer are shelves that I put the folded clothes on. Then once a day or every other day my kids come get their stacks and put them away. Bedding gets washed every couple weeks or as needed.

Just a side note: I average 14 loads of laundry a week. dizzy.gif

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#50 of 53 Old 08-24-2012, 12:36 PM

I was just about to thank 100%Mom for making me feel more normal about my average of 1.5 loads a day when I realized I am a mother to 1, and my husband's idea of physical labor (at work) is to have to get up and go to the assembly floor and physically assist with the assembly process.

bag.gif

I am clearly doing it wrong.

But... I really, really, really cannot bring myself to mix kitchen and bathroom stuff.

#51 of 53 Old 08-24-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

bag.gif

I am clearly doing it wrong.

But... I really, really, really cannot bring myself to mix kitchen and bathroom stuff.

If you're drying the load on high then likely all the bacteria/dangerous pathogens are killed.

I hate laundry.  The best advice is to have LESS clothes.  Sure, you might go shopping more often as things wear out, however having less is less work.  Fewer loads and less time spent putting things away.  It's also helpful to rewear things like pants/shorts 2-3 times, of course depending on what you were doing/how active you were in them.

Everything except socks/underwear here is hung up.  I used to have only one pair of sheets per bed, however since the kids (and things like throw ups, etc.) I now keep one sheet set per bed plus one for each size.  

I probably do split things up more than some into whites, light colors, dark colors, cat towels/rags, sheets and towels.  Pull all the sheets off the bed at the same time, do a complete load from wash to dry and put them back on.  Cuts down on storage space needed as well.

Usually I'll put a white load in the night before and let it soak overnight.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#52 of 53 Old 08-24-2012, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

so maybe one solution could be

..... to find how and where to store enough of each category of stuff until you have enough  to run a load

=> your laundry problem "disapear"

& becomes....  a "storing" problem (since some of the stored stuff might be half wet to start with)

#53 of 53 Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We only have two categories: diapers/wipes and everything else. Diapers get hot water. All else gets cold. We don't have any color bleeding and cold water keeps wear of the fabrics down.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

Tags
Organizing , Decluttering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page