laundry is not working... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a ton! of clothes on the laundry room floor. ALWAYS. Yes I have sorting bins, yes I have two systems actually. They don't work. I separate my laundry depending on what laundry I have. Besides, there would never be enough bins (whites, work clothes, delicates, hand wash, reds, linens, towels..etc.)

There are many issues with my laundry room but this needs to be done first. 

I end up having all the clothes randomly in the sorting bin and sort them as I go. But I sort them on the floor, and if I end up doing just one load for whatever reason, then all the clothes remain on the floor.........ugh

#2 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 AM

I have similar issues, on a smaller scale, but I don't have a designated laundry room, either. What seems to have made a huge difference for me is sorting clothing into those that need folding and those that don't while still in our walk in closet (we use a hanging bag system I got at target), then sorting into colors in baskets near the washer/dryer. The baskets can be stacked if needed without messing with my sorting, but while still getting them off the floor. I use delicates bags for bras and undies so they can go in with regular washing as well vs. needing their own cycle.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#3 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 PM

I used to have the same problem. Then I read some where that I needed to stop sorting so many categories. Whites, light colors, towels and linens all go together. Bright colors, including reds get washed with blacks. I put bras in a lingerie bag and toss them in with the appropriate color. I close the hooks first. socks/underwear get mixed in with everything else. I think that would help in your situation. I have to say that I was not anxious to try it, especially mixing whites with light to medium colors, but I haven't had any issues, and I have been doing it that way for 8+ years. The other tip I read was FlyLady's idea of doing a load every single day. And decluttering everyone's clothes. We need to do that once again.

ETA: I still have times when the laundry is all over the floor, but it did help make it easier.
journeymom likes this.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 12:13 PM

Yea that is a good point. In our house we sort out lights, darks, and reds, but that's it!

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#5 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 PM

My old house had a huge laundry room so I had those stackable recycling bins and sorted dirty clothes directly into those (whites. reds, darks, towels, sheets, jeans). The new house has a different set-up and there is no place for the bins so I literally toss everything but whites together (well, diapers also get their own wash). No sorting ROCKS!!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#6 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

i try to do one load a day = no sorting of what we wear every day

but i will wash towels once a week by themselves

and sheets by themselves too ....(in summer, no duvet cover so a little less volume=  3 loads for 3 single beds and 1 double bed)

#7 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I wash sheets and towels separately, but otherwise we're lucky if clothes even get sorted into light and dark. We have little storage space for clothes, so we switch out seasonal stuff, but otherwise keep 3-4 drawers each, plus socks and underwear, (three out of the four of us have narrow, tall IKEA drawers, too) plus a few things hung on hooks - that's it. That said, DH can wear casual clothes to work, and I work at home, so my "uniform" is t-shirts and jeans. We purge outgrown/unwanted stuff regularly. When you don't have as many clothes, you're not washing as many clothes! I came to this realization when 1) I realized I was wearing a few things over and over and so were my kids, and 2) I realized that no, I wasn't going to wear that whatever again at some unknown date in the future - so now I just chuck it in the thrift shop bag. Basically we each just wait until our basket fills up, wash our own load (maybe once a week), and then it gets folded and put away within the week (DH and I do it faster; kids sometimes take the better part of the week to fold and put away). HTH!

PS Laundry room is shared in the basement w/ other tenants - 10 of them! That's 3 families'/14 people's laundry to one regular home washer/dryer set. Helps us be efficient, too! winky.gif

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#8 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 04:15 PM

I have a family of four. Here is my laundry system. Maybe it will help others.

My boys, ages 9 and 6, each have their own laundry basket in their room, and they have separate days to do their laundry. 9yo is done on Fridays, 6yo is done on Tuesdays. Their whole basket (except for towels and random toys) gets dumped into the washer. When their load is dry, it gets put back in their basket, and they are to fold it the day it's done. 9yo does his own laundry, just needs reminders to switch it and get it. I do 6yo's, except folding, he is to help with that. 

I have one basket that sits on the dryer for random towels. Kitchen towels, swim towels, etc, get put in that basket. When it's full, it goes in the washer. Usually about once a week.

Husband and I share a basket and it's kept in our closet. When I'm ready to do our laundry (usually on Saturdays), I sort it at the washer. All bottoms (pants/jeans/socks) go in one pile, all tops go in another pile, all chonies/bras go in a lingerie bag in the bottoms load. Tops get washed and hung to dry. Bottoms get washed and put in the dryer, except the bras. They get pulled out and hung up. 

Sheets/blankets get done on separate days. The boys have their own days to do their bedding (Monday and Thursday, I think). And I wash my sheets when I do my laundry.

I wash everything in cold water, unless the towels/sheets really need a hot water wash.

Also, like Ragana, I am always going through clothes. How stained is it, how many holes does it have, how tight is it, etc. If they don't meet my "fairly decent" criteria, then they go to another home or the recycle can. And we don't have a lot of clothes that we don't wear, either. The boys have 10-14 days worth of tops/bottoms. Husband and I have 20-25 days worth. Some things are a little nicer for weddings and such, so they don't get worn often but we need to keep them. It really does help to not have so many clothes.

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#9 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Right on, Monkeygrrrl! I also have a kitchen towel basket under the sink, but could use a basket for reg. towels and linens in one of the closets - but those usually get carried down right away when I do that load.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#10 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I wash towels and sheets on their own and everything else gets thrown together. I don't buy hand wash things and haven't had problems with shrinking or clothes losing or gaining color.
#11 of 53 Old 07-31-2012, 04:54 PM

I was always scared that something would run that I ended up with with lots of loads..too many. I discovered the color grabber rags http://www.safelaundrytips.com/tag/carbona/ and now I get through the laundry a lot quicker. No, more mini loads"just because a color might bleed".

I also have become a fan of line drying (mainly, indoors because of pollen). With hang drying , I can accomplish more laundry at a time without having to wait for the dryer to be free. The kid's clothing works great on a retractable indoor line.

Glad I am not the only one facing challenges in the laundry organization department.

#12 of 53 Old 07-31-2012, 05:55 PM

Reduce, reuse, recycle... Works for laundry, too. :)

We reduced our clothing.

We have over-the-door hooks on our master bathroom door and another on DD's closet door. We rewear many clothing items and hang them on these hooks between wearings.

We use old t-shirts as rags (cutting them into various shapes/sizes) and cut too-short jeans/capris (or holes in knees) into shorts for the recycling aspect. ;)

Back to laundry. We have a 3-bin sorter in our master closet. Everyone's dirty clothes go in it: whites (hot), mediums (cool), darks (cold). I wash whichever load is full every morning. If there isn't a full load, then I either take a break or I wash towels (directly from the racks) or sheets (directly from the beds). I put towels directly back on the racks, but we rotate sheets. We line-dry all linens outside and hang-dry tops (on hangers in closet) ... year-round. In the summer, it gets too hot for the dryer (in the middle of our main floor), so we pull out a wood drying rack and hang dry nearly everything. Doing essentially one load a day keeps the work per day low enough that it actually gets done. When we go on vacation or I get ill, the laundry falls behind and catching up is not fun. I typically use the dryer and just power through until it gets down to 1-2 nearly full loads (to be done the next day or two in order to get back on track).

It is only possible to do one load a day when our clothing is not excessive and our linens are pared down, as they have been for about ten years now. Before that, though, it was crazy keeping up with the laundry. I've gone through working full-time, part-time, and not at all. The only difference has been in WHEN I do the load .... starting the washer at various times, flipping to the dryer later, folding & putting away as close to when the dryer is finished to prevent wrinkles; hanging out to dry during the day for linens; hanging up in closet whenever.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#13 of 53 Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM

I have 4 plastic hampers + 1 other basket, and things are loosely separated in those: 2 for clothes (I don't exactly bother sorting them into light/dark anymore, and just pick stuff out and move things from one to the other when it's clothes laundry time), 1 for towels/rags, 1 for bedding.  There's a small basket for handwash that's kinda elsewhere (this is a bit out of control ATM), and an old garbage can for dh's work clothes.  

When my laundry was most recently getting out of control - I thinned out towels & bedding a bit because I realized that I'd be happy to just wash them a bit more often and that would also mean a lot less folding and less stuff to have to stuff into where it didn't fit in the first place.  It helped a ton.  

You might find that you could keep kitchen linens and/or work clothes somewhere else entirely (I've done both at times - you might be able to fit a bag for either in the kitchen or bathroom/bedroom for work clothes) as both those we usually wash separately and put away pretty quickly.  

#14 of 53 Old 08-03-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have to say that I kind of pick stuff from the huge pile. I don't separate, as I separate as I go along. Come to think of it, I probably don't have the same criteria every time I do laundry. I usually have a lot waiting....The reds usually wait for more reds (or towels, our towels are in that color category) . This is why I always have laundry to do that I constantly sort in different ways. Identifying the problem is half the solution right?

I also notice that some clothes are more urgent than others. Hubby's work clothes need to be washed frequently. Sometimes we are out of socks but nothing else - then I go digging through to find all the socks and do a load........

Maybe I'm just never getting around to laundry. I seem to always forget about it as it never seems as urgent as any other thing that we have to do. 

I should just do a load every morning - it sounds doable if I put my mind to it. But that still leaves me with the annoying pain of my weird sorting style.

journeymom likes this.
#15 of 53 Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 PM

In my experience, if you just do a load a day, it won't matter so much about what you call your weird sorting style. I used to sort a lot more, too, but we got rid of more stuff and got the three-bin sorter and everything just worked out to less sorting. Good luck!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#16 of 53 Old 08-11-2012, 08:57 AM

I don't sort when putting dirties in the laundry bin, I just sort as I put in a load --but I will go through everything and sort it, if I have a ton of stuff to wash. I do towels / sheets separately. I do laundry every morning and evening. Usually I will sort whatever laundry is in the bins next to the washer. Then, if I feel the load is light, I'll go to the bedrooms / bathroom / hallway and see what else can go in the same load. I must admit that I'm really picky about putting loads together. Also, with swimming, beach, and the other dirt my family gets on their clothes, I don't like to pack the loads super full. In addition to that, I'm very careful to line dry new tops, stretch pants, dress pants, panties,

etc. so as not to shrink, pull or ruin them. I try to do a load of delicates at night, so I can hang them to dry. It's nice to have clean and dry underpants and bras in the morning.

I really try to wash clothes using a first-in-first-out system. That way, the clothes aren't sitting there forever, waiting to be washed. Even if that means a really small load now and then. And if I do a small load, I try to make the next one a big one. And I'm really careful not to wash whites with bleach, then follow that with a load of blacks. We don't have a ton of whites, so I'll save them for a while and then do a couple of loads of whites, followed by running a clean cycle. I have an HE machine, so I need to do a clean cycle once in a while, since it uses less water, and there can be buildup.

All day I alternate between washing things that can go in the dryer, and things that have to be hung to dry. I'll put lots of stuff in a color load, and will put out some things to hang dry, and others from the same load that can go in the dryer. Sometimes I do load after load of things that can go in the dryer, so that the dryer runs nearly constantly. Seems like clothes dry faster, that way.

When we get really busy, and laundry is overwhelming, I will take some loads to a laudromat to get caught up. Usually I catch up by taking loads of towels and sheets and regular colors, etc to the laundromat. I always take my comforter to the laundromat to wash and dry. Everything else that is washable is done at home.

My DH has shrunk my clothing in the past, so I do all of the laundry. He gets on my case sometimes that he needs something, but for the most part, I keep up with his and all the family's laundry, because I live in fear that he will ruin a lot of me and my daughter's stuff, meaning that we will have to go shopping again. I kinda like laundry, since for years we didn't have a machine in our house. Going to the laundromat to catch up, or doing an occasional laundry marathon is a small price to pay for nice-looking clothes that last longer.

#17 of 53 Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 AM

Are y'all washing your kitchen towels and bathroom towels together?

I am violently allergic to this idea, but Mr. claims I'm being overly fussy about it.

Currently I'm pretty caught up on laundry, but I would love to simplify my routine.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#18 of 53 Old 08-11-2012, 08:00 PM

I throw towels into regular loads. Honestly, the only things that are separate are CDs, but I might throw in a poopy sheet or changing pad cover with it.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#19 of 53 Old 08-11-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

Are y'all washing your kitchen towels and bathroom towels together?

I am violently allergic to this idea, but Mr. claims I'm being overly fussy about it.

Currently I'm pretty caught up on laundry, but I would love to simplify my routine.

Why would you put them in separate loads?  Sheepish.gif  In other words, yes.  Actually I will wash a towel in any load that is not too full, whether it is a kitchen towel or from the bathroom.

Oddly, laundry is the one housekeeping area that I'm pretty content with.  That may be because my standards are pretty low.  I don't separate anything out and I have never had anything ruined because of bleeding.  My kids have several red items, but nothing has gone pink.  

I do a load every day.  I started this when my older was in dipes.  I used the washer as a diaper pail and then in the evening, I'd send his dipes through once and then put in whatever clothes needed to be washed and put them all through together.  I'd put it all in the dryer before bed and put it away in the morning.  Now that I've got two kids (but none in dipes!), I still do one load a day, but I'm not as good at putting them away.   They come out of the dryer and get thrown in a pile and then once or twice a week I will go through the pile and put it all away.  

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#20 of 53 Old 08-11-2012, 10:19 PM

I will wash kitchen towels with nearly any load, but I wash them frequently. They aren't terribly dirty or icky. Then again, I wash rags in most loads, too, and I cannot say the same about those. The bath and beach towels, though, I am picky about. I don't like washing terrycloth towels with clothes, but I will sometimes. However, I avoid drying terry towels with clothes due to the fuzz-factor. I mostly line-dry towels and sheets anyway, but if we're in a hurry I will dry the clothes first and the terry towels separately after the clothes are finished.

#21 of 53 Old 08-12-2012, 05:23 AM

I have 6 kids and I used to drown in laundry , until I have found a system , that works well for us ( mos of the time )

Each kid has a basket in his/her room , where they throw their dirty clothes .

When it´s full , the older ones bring theirs down and I get the one for the 2 lo´s , they share a room with me !

I sort everything in a basket for light colors , black colors , reds and pinks , greens and yellows  and dark multi colors , plus , I have a basket for towels in front of the bathroom . 

Each basket , I have holds exactly the amount of laundry , I can fit into my washing machine , so as soon as one is full , I wash it , dry it and then sort everything into the basket for the individual person 

My older kids bring their own baskets up and put their clothes away , plus I built a closet for the towels in the laundry room , so as soon as towels are washed and dried , they can go in the right place immediately  

Another thing , I have learnt from my own mistake , is never to leave laundry sitting in the laundry room , once it´s done , or else it will pile up beyond belief and if I don´t do it immediately , I seem to never get to it later  

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#22 of 53 Old 08-12-2012, 10:27 AM

But... but... but...

But then the stuff that touches your butt is touching stuff that touches your plates.

bigeyes.gif

#23 of 53 Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 AM

I was thinking of combining our clothes.  I hate seeing laundry in the bedroom... yes, even in baskets... yes, I'll wait for everyone to stop laughing at me.  So we have a laundry cupboard built in to the house, and I was thinking of just having a three-bucket system in there.  Except I have way more than 3 separate load-types. 

But, someone help me out here, what if I did a "underpants, socks, and completely disgusting" load, a "jeans and tee shirts and other things that aren't delicate per se but still should be washed in cool water and either hung or low-heat dried" load and then a "Missus' unmentionables and delicate sweaters and bras and basically everything she owns because apparently she never planned on being a parent la ti da" load?

Then I can collect towels from the kitchen under the sink just as I do now, and do them apart from the underwear and bath towels, which I just collect off the racks.

Anyone do a system similar to this with good results?

I would like to do 5 loads a week, and with the capacity machine we have I think this might be doable for me if I can get myself straight.

#24 of 53 Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 PM

Try it and see how it works! :)

#25 of 53 Old 08-12-2012, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

yes, the stuff that touches my butt & whole family's butt,touches the stuff that touches plates ... but then it all gets washed and end up CLEAN !

any towel in the kitchen is usually washed with the daily load => took me years to get into that routine but i like it best because i prefer to have no more than a day's worth of laundry waiting ... i know that worn clothes that are put in a hamper .... do NOT get more dirty by waiting in there .... but i don't like the idea of clothes waiting and waiting to get into the washing machine & now i get real pleasure in hanging it to line dry nearly every day ....

bathroom towels get washed once a week ...with the bath mat that comes off the floor (i resisted on that one for a while but don't want to wash ONE bath mat in a separate load, by itself... after a while i got used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore)

#26 of 53 Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:

But... but... but...

But then the stuff that touches your butt is touching stuff that touches your plates.

bigeyes.gif

I do a towels, undies, socks, "clothes that DS had an accident in" load with hot water and dry on high. They are pretty well disinfected by the end. 

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#27 of 53 Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 AM

In my mind I know everything is disinfected when I use the hot setting... in my heart of hearts I am still doing the icky squicky dance.

Heck, growing up if a sock fell out of the basket and hit the floor we had to re-wash it.  I've finally stopped doing that!

#28 of 53 Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Do the terry towels make clothes pilly? 

#29 of 53 Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:

But... but... but...

bigeyes.gif

Oh well , so what if it does ! Sheepish.gif I figure , none of us have any infectious disease , plus I wash everything AT LEAST on warm , towels and that sort of stuff hot , I use laundry detergent and a tumble drier .

If any germs survives all that , well ... shrug.gif

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#30 of 53 Old 08-13-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:

But... but... but...

bigeyes.gif

See, I am so un-poop-phobic that I had to sit here and think about whether you were worried about the kitchen towels touching your butt towels or your butt towels touching your kitchen towels.  After having cloth diapered two LO's, I am just completely solid in my belief that anything butt related that goes in the washer will be obliterated by the process.  I have never had any indication otherwise.  I know lots of people feel uncomfortable with it, though.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Tags
Organizing , Decluttering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page