Decluttering Journals - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-10-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I’m new here. I’m just in a quandry, and have been for some time, its mainly about my journals, I have about ten years worth of them in a locked tin (hard backed books). I am reluctant to get rid of them as I did this with some journals I had previously and I regretted it afterwards, all those records just gone. However, I am trying to declutter and keep things simple. I have put all my CDs on my hard drive. Most of my reading is now on my Kindle, I just have the books I can’t get on Kindle and coffee table type books with pictures and there are not many of them.  I just have an issue with the journals. I have always preferred to write in my journals rather than keep them on the computer, however they now seem to be weighing me down, I also worry about privacy, even though I live alone I still worry that my boyfriend might come across them or what if they are seen after I am gone (someone will have to go through my stuff). I have had the idea of scanning them and then getting rid of the originals but I feel it would be such a huge task and someone at work who is very technical tells me all that scanning would take up a lot of hard drive space. I am thinking of journaling on my laptop from now on and keeping it all digital but don’t know if I’d like that as much as handwriting a journal. I have now started using my mobile phone as a diary and am using my paper diary less and less for appointments but journaling is different somehow.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Is scanning the best idea, or just keep the journals locked away and hope they are never found? What about future journaling? Any thoughts welcome.

#2 of 3 Old 08-11-2012, 09:22 PM

I think throwing them away would be too sad.  I think you should just keep them locked away.  Do you think there's stuff in there that you just couldn't live with someone seeing?  

I had a roommate die once, someone that I was very close to, and I did read his journals.   I don't remember ever seeing anything in there that he would be bothered by people knowing.  Like, they were just so him, yk?  Like stuff I think he'd say at the dinner table.  I think maybe when people write in their journals it feels like the subject matter is so private, but if you stand back and think about it, it's just what we're all going through.  What you wrote ten years ago probably just wouldn't mean much to someone reading it now or in another ten years.  

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#3 of 3 Old 08-12-2012, 08:38 AM

I had a bunch of my old journals. they were taking up a lot of space. I went through them and kept only the really special entries and I burned the rest in my fireplace.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Tags
Decluttering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page