Does anyone live in a 550 sq ft or less tiny/small house or apartment with children? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I think the key to housing is how you use the space especially in a small house. We have been living in a camper with three kids for a while now first to travel with dh now so we can build on our property and its challenging at times but not too bad. It mostly sucks when we can't get outdoors because of weather like this week greensad.gif. Other than that we keep possessions down and use wall space. I've learned to get creative. We are about to remodel some though... turn our bed across the wall to make more walk room and use as a couch now so the little couch can go and i can add a desk. Also planning a freezer to fridge conversion (yes i have a deep freezer in here lol) so we can go solar. Then I'll take out the fridge and have a nifty space for kitchen stuff storage. It works but i really believe it's only because we get outside. Even when we build we plan too stay small.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#32 of 35 Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a bit larger(about 900-950 sq ft.) but I have 2, soon to be 3 kids, plus DH and I. I don't mind the space, but I DO find it feels cluttered pretty quickly. 

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#33 of 35 Old 12-10-2012, 06:12 PM

I have lived with little ones in some pretty small places. When it worked it was because we could be deliberate about how we used space and where we stored things. When it did not, it was poorly designed space, too many things, and no were to put things away (the kitchen with one cuboard). Have a plan and be deliberate.

I live in a bigger space now (1800sf, oddly with only one real closet), but still love our Ikea Kuna bed. Though some days I dream about a Tiny Tumbleweed House.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#34 of 35 Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

So, here's an update, we did it, we've bought our tiny house and we're moving in three weeks time! It isn't the house I originally wrote the post about, it's another house in the city where I live. It's a two bed/two reception room victorian period property in the south west of England (for people new to this thread we're a family of four.)

The house is 540 sq ft.

I'm extremely excited to be downsizing like this and am really looking forward to the challenge!
LilPenguinMama likes this.

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#35 of 35 Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Congratulations! The house sounds adorable. Good luck settling in.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days

Tags
Simplifying , Decluttering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page